I guess I just had to join since I am talked about so nicely

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMW_388

Reaction score
So here I am on the UK forum now.

I was emailed some links of this forum on my other postings in the 'other' S1000RR forum.

I never really thought much about all the various forums dealing with the S1000RR, but, since I became involved with BMW in March 2015 I have been very happy with the product line. Being happy however with hardware is great, but, it is more happiness if you can be involved and happy with the people that share the same goals and thoughts.

I come here on the same forum ID from other forums BMW_388. No need to lurk on a different ID and stir up comments. I will just be the same person and try to provide good information if I have it.

I have had to branch out on the internet to see what others are finding out and posting about the new addition to BMW product line. The Gen4 as I see this forum is calling it. Never the less it is the K67 2019 Europe / 2020 USA S1000RR.

I do not plan to post here much and even commit on postings already made about how I proceed to install hardware on "my" K67. There are those that are lurkers and do nothing people, and they are those that are influencers and do something people. I am a do'er. I can concept, develop, make final process and product. As long as it is for me and I am happy, that is all that really matters.

Lets hope we can all enjoy the new K67 and hope that BMW makes some new ground breaking technology in the WSBK level of racing with this new product line.

Welcome, I think you're the brave(?) person drilling your suspension casting to fit the 2D Pot sensor, yes? (I have slept since reading it...)

Appreciate your efforts to investigate things.

Welcome,you are the type of innovator we need.
Now try and make the earlier model rear wheel fit!

So many projects with the ECU issues in the USA, the front brakes are starting to bug me, the calipers wont fit 6mm rotors, vendors tell people the K46 stuff wont fit or work... At least I have resolved the ECU issues. The bike is very fast. The problem is that when you go fast, you have to stop sometime.

Did you try drilling a hole thru old wheel?

silly me, I have not thought to drill a hole somewhere in the rear wheel assembly so maybe it will fit. I really hope only spacers are needed in some way. I have not even tried this yet. Maybe today.

Welcome, I think you're the brave(?) person drilling your suspension casting to fit the 2D Pot sensor, yes? (I have slept since reading it...)

Appreciate your efforts to investigate things.

Its simple. 2D said that they are not working on a method of attaching the sensor with additional clearance to the radiator guards. The clearance is worse than it was with the K46. I tried on the backside and since no bracket is available for the brake caliper boss, I just did like WSBK teams do. Attach directly to the fork stantion. The only difference is that Ohlins puts a nice mounting place on the stantion. I just drilled a simple M4 hole.

Then it did not have enough clearance on the left turn radius, so I moved the sensor to the front side of the fork tube. I drilled yet a 2nd M4 hole to mount in. I dont like it, but, I wanted to see how the ESA reacted with this sensor. Sadly to my surprise it was not much of an improvement like it was with the K46. I can at least accomplish rebound and compression now on the front for testing. Sure the sensor might have a bug strike, bird strike, or a simple rock strike. Its ok, its only a sensor. If I kill it, I will get a 100mm and change the mounting some more.

So many projects with the ECU issues in the USA, the front brakes are starting to bug me, the calipers wont fit 6mm rotors, vendors tell people the K46 stuff wont fit or work... At least I have resolved the ECU issues. The bike is very fast. The problem is that when you go fast, you have to stop sometime.
6mm wow why? You're not even tracking the bike, are you?

Welcome to the UK and from Scorching hot Scotland today !..... a few of us are also on the US site me included ,it's great to get a different views and opinions...

Cheers Stuart

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Well, I have 3 sets of 6mm rotors

I have a CMRA expert license

I attend about 5-8 other track days a year.

Yup.. I think I have been there doing that.
That's pretty cool. Which tracks do you normally do?

I recently installed Brembo HPK 5.5mm discs and I wouldnt say I noticed any big difference vs. Oro which are 5mm.

Brake pads and MC tho, did show the difference.

Its simple. 2D said that they are not working on a method of attaching the sensor with additional clearance to the radiator guards. The clearance is worse than it was with the K46. I tried on the backside and since no bracket is available for the brake caliper boss, I just did like WSBK teams do. Attach directly to the fork stantion. The only difference is that Ohlins puts a nice mounting place on the stantion. I just drilled a simple M4 hole.

Then it did not have enough clearance on the left turn radius, so I moved the sensor to the front side of the fork tube. I drilled yet a 2nd M4 hole to mount in. I dont like it, but, I wanted to see how the ESA reacted with this sensor. Sadly to my surprise it was not much of an improvement like it was with the K46. I can at least accomplish rebound and compression now on the front for testing. Sure the sensor might have a bug strike, bird strike, or a simple rock strike. Its ok, its only a sensor. If I kill it, I will get a 100mm and change the mounting some more.

Would mounting the sensor upside down and extend the wiring give it enough clearance?
Presumably,the main advantage of the sensor would be in Race Pro mode where the system is biased to manual activation?

Would mounting the sensor upside down and extend the wiring give it enough clearance?
Presumably,the main advantage of the sensor would be in Race Pro mode where the system is biased to manual activation?

I already tried that on my 2015 K46. I was at the Dragon in Dells Gap in August 2015 and a rain storm set in nearly an hour from the cabin. I had no choice but to push on and ride the storm. With the 2D sensor mounted upside down it collected too much rain water and burned out. That is one reason the design is in the direction it is so that rain cannot enter it.

Even I did check to see if this would work out better on the K67. The amount of additional clearance was not worth the risk, and extending the wire. I already talked with 2D racing about the clearance issues and they just indicate they are working on it.

Welcome to the forum, always great to see new people and especially those who are doing interesting stuff and sharing the knowledge. I do still think you are crazy to drill the fork instead of making a simple bracket yourself ;) Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

I already tried that on my 2015 K46. I was at the Dragon in Dells Gap in August 2015 and a rain storm set in nearly an hour from the cabin. I had no choice but to push on and ride the storm. With the 2D sensor mounted upside down it collected too much rain water and burned out. That is one reason the design is in the direction it is so that rain cannot enter it.

Even I did check to see if this would work out better on the K67. The amount of additional clearance was not worth the risk, and extending the wire. I already talked with 2D racing about the clearance issues and they just indicate they are working on it.

Yes,I did wonder about that.Fortunately,I don't ride in the rain but lack of clearance is still an issue.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your M-Sport!

As the others have said, it?s great to have you onboard and your efforts in finding technical solutions on the new generation bike are much appreciated.

Enjoy the forum and I hope you have many happy miles ahead of you onboard your amazing new steed [emoji41]

- Oli

Yes i will take the Gen 4 TFT screen for my Gen3, Large strawberry shake, Fries , easy on the salt and a packet of skittles. :black_eyed::devilish:

Back