Speeding UK

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noxx

Reaction score
Hi lads,

I live in Ireland and will be crossing through the UK (Holyhead to Folkestone) very soon. What is the _acceptable_ speed on A's and M's without risking severe punishment?

noxx

70 :D

Nothing over 70 (GPS (75-77 on the dash)) is OK lets be clear....but with the Dash being 10% out or so...you'll be hard pressed to get nicked below 84 on the dash IMO.

If you're making progress I would just judge the weather, road, traffic conditions and do what I felt comfortable with. Constantly adjusting to the surrounding information.

Worth going through a village with a speed display and seeing what the dash to actual difference is for your bike.

If you get caught doing over 100mph (not that you would of course), the default penalty is a period of disqualification (losing your licence) rather than penalty points and a fine, but up to court to decide.

70 :D

Nothing over 70 (GPS (75-77 on the dash)) is OK lets be clear....but with the Dash being 10% out or so...you'll be hard pressed to get nicked below 84 on the dash IMO.

If you're making progress I would just judge the weather, road, traffic conditions and do what I felt comfortable with. Constantly adjusting to the surrounding information.
Okay, that helps - thank you. What methods of revenue generation are being used in the UK? Speed cams, video patrol cars, speed guns etc?
Speed displays in villages don't pick up motorcycles here in Ireland. They only work on cars / trucks.

If you get caught doing over 100mph (not that you would of course), the default penalty is a period of disqualification (losing your licence) rather than penalty points and a fine, but up to court to decide.
Yeah that wouldn't apply to me I guess. UK authorities can't suspend my license... so they'd probably fine the living hell out of me.

The rule on speeding is generally is 10% + 3 mph.

So in a 70 you could do 80. The reason for this is to avoid any borderline issues when being challenged etc.

Alex - I got 3 points last week for doing 83.

Alex - the village speed signs are often way out of calibration so anyone relying on those to give them a speedo/reality check is going to have a big problem.

Noxx - static cameras on gantries on motorways are only active when there is a variable speed limit active (which is displayed on the gantry at the time). The biggest PITA is the camera vans but they are rarely on motorways.

If you use waze leave it running on your phone and it will alert you to any camera positions in real time.

Edit -

On motorways you are fine most of the time doing 80-90 or so with the above caveat about gantry cameras.

On dual carriageways dont go over 80.

In urban 30 - 40 areas stick to the speed limit.

Last edited:
Alex - the village speed signs are often way out of calibration so anyone relying on those to give them a speedo/reality check is going to have a big problem.

On the bike or in the attention magnet?

Noxx, we have a lot of average speed stuff. Time between two fixed points. If they are rear facing, behave. If they are front facing you're safe (in theory, don't blame me).

Yeah that wouldn't apply to me I guess. UK authorities can't suspend my license... so they'd probably fine the living hell out of me.

My understanding is (and I stand to be corrected) that the UK authorities can obtain your details from the Irish authorities and they can therefore send you a fixed penalty notice, but they cannot enforce it and they cannot get the Garda to enforce it.

However, ignoring a penalty is likely to be a serious issue if you are 'picked up' again on a future visit to the UK.

I'm presuming you now have an Irish licence?

So in a 70 you could do 80. The reason for this is to avoid any borderline issues when being challenged etc.

Noxx - static cameras on gantries on motorways are only active when there is a variable speed limit active (which is displayed on the gantry at the time). The biggest PITA is the camera vans but they are rarely on motorways.

If you use waze leave it running on your phone and it will alert you to any camera positions in real time.

Edit -

On motorways you are fine most of the time doing 80-90 or so with the above caveat about gantry cameras.

On dual carriageways dont go over 80.

In urban 30 - 40 areas stick to the speed limit.
Cheers mate. Exactly what I was looking for!

My understanding is (and I stand to be corrected) that the UK authorities can obtain your details from the Irish authorities and they can therefore send you a fixed penalty notice, but they cannot enforce it and they cannot get the Garda to enforce it.

However, ignoring a penalty is likely to be a serious issue if you are 'picked up' again on a future visit to the UK.

I'm presuming you now have an Irish licence?
Nope. Full German license :)
Yeah they can fine me and I would pay of course, but they can't apply points and/or suspend my license.

Nope. Full German license :)
Yeah they can fine me and I would pay of course, but they can't apply points and/or suspend my license.
They can.

They create a virtual license for your non-UK license and apply points same way.

Also, if the breach is too big, they can confiscate the bike as I understand.

They can.

They create a virtual license for your non-UK license and apply points same way.

Also, if the breach is too big, they can confiscate the bike as I understand.
They might create a virtual license within the UK, but that doesn't phase me outside of the UK. It won't have any knock on effects such as premium hikes in my country of residence. Neither NDLS (Ireland) nor Fuehrerscheinbehoerde (Germany) will recognize those points. Furthermore, my drivers license is property of the Federal Republic of Germany. A good few countries tried to seize German licenses and found themselves in trouble with German authorities.

I am not planning on creating new world records on your A's and M's, but I don't want to crawl down to Folkestone either :)

Out of curiosity I'm in ireland and keep some of the licence plate numbers covered with tax disk. Rare you get hassle over here with it. And means zero camera fines. How do they look on that over there

Out of curiosity I'm in ireland and keep some of the licence plate numbers covered with tax disk. Rare you get hassle over here with it. And means zero camera fines. How do they look on that over there
You are a genius! This will be the first time I'll display my tax disk. cheers mate

Switzerland is the worst... 25mph over the speed limit and automatic 1 year PRISON sentence and loose your vehicle permanently and if you're a foreigner an average ?3000 fine. Worse if you're a native.

Back