Headstock

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Noticed that when I brake I can feel a slight tap in the bars. I recall from past posts that this may be a head stock thing. The steering is smooth.
What do you guys reckon? Also, is it one for my local guy or BMW?

Headstock bearings, if its a click like a torque wrench.

Any competent mechanic can tighten them...... but I think there is a special tool bmw workshops use for the job that makes it more straightforward and no chance of scuffing the yoke.

if it'd just on initiial braking,i'd say pad movement (as above),if it's a constant,then check play in discs,and check for trueness,then have a lok at headstock

Presume you're talking about the front pads? The rear pads have just been changed and the brakes are linked (bain of my life BTW, is it possible to unlink them?).

Presume you're talking about the front pads? The rear pads have just been changed and the brakes are linked (bain of my life BTW, is it possible to unlink them?).
Lol... aye, pair of snips will do the job ![emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I had the headstock taken apart by Chandlers and all is good there. They reckon probably disks / pads as you guys suggested.
If they can't work out what's up, I aint got a chance, but I am now re-assured.
I suspect the old girl's developing her ways. I just need to get used to them.

Huge, I went through something like this last year - easiest to describe as some play in the bars just as you bring the bike to a halt/release the brake. I got similar answers to above, none of which helped my problem. I eventually decided to get the race head bearings changed. Apologies for the overly technical description of what fixed it - they told me that as soon as they started to take it apart they found some clip/ring/nut/something underneath the main assembly that was cracked. Replacing that sorted it, and was a lot cheaper than the job it was booked in for. Whatever had broken couldn't be seen until other bits were removed... However, sounds like you've already had yours stripped and they didn't see this...

Huge, I went through something like this last year - easiest to describe as some play in the bars just as you bring the bike to a halt/release the brake. I got similar answers to above, none of which helped my problem. I eventually decided to get the race head bearings changed. Apologies for the overly technical description of what fixed it - they told me that as soon as they started to take it apart they found some clip/ring/nut/something underneath the main assembly that was cracked. Replacing that sorted it, and was a lot cheaper than the job it was booked in for. Whatever had broken couldn't be seen until other bits were removed... However, sounds like you've already had yours stripped and they didn't see this...

Thanks Rick. I'm gonna have to trust the BMW mechanics who took it apart. I'm still feeling the tiny "dink" and it certainly feels like the discs and pads when I think about when and how it happens. H

mine seems to have stopped since i had the top yolk off and torqued it back down to (i think) 120 nm. it was tight before, but not that tight, couldn't feel any play and the dealer had previously had the forks out - so presumably they were last to touch it

Back