Strange occurrence

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Excellent 300 miler today with Rob .... I'll do a write up later...

Just throwing this out there as I'm just in and sat on my ass after a long day.

Problem.....

So, arrived in Oban, switched bike off nipped to bank, .....switched ign back on... bike reluctantly fired up after second asking ( very unusual), felt as if it was running on 2/3 cylinders... looked at dash, management light was on, blipped throttle virtually no response.. Rob clocked it straight away too.... switched off... tried again, same thing... left it for a few secs, fired up fine, no warning light !... bike running as normal and was fine for second half of run...150 plus miles...some of which we had a bit of a charge on...

Second half of run went to use my horn.... dead... checked fuses, all seem ok... all other electrics/fueling etc appear perfect..

Will check fuses again.... but just dont get the illuminated management light and limp start up... as far as I know horn was fine prior to setting off..

Any ideas lads.

Cheers

S

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Very likely a chaffed loom wire somewhere.

Or, switchgear playing up, but doesnt account for the EML.

Last edited:
Sods law... walked outside, horn works ffs !... EML is worrying tho as you say Soof... Would diagnostic pick that up ?

It should have logged a fault code in the ecu if you had the EML on when it should not have been on.

It could just be coincidence that you have a loom wire issue and switchgear issue at the same time. The switchgear plays up particularly when it gets hot (in direct sunlight for a period of time) which is what your starter/horn issue sounds like. The original switchgear had this issue and bmw replaced them foc with the revised part, the dealer should be able to tell which version is on your bike from their database.

edit - once cooled down the switchgear will often work fine again if its the faulty ones.

Last edited:
It should have logged a fault code in the ecu if you had the EML on when it should not have been on.

It could just be coincidence that you have a loom wire issue and switchgear issue at the same time. The switchgear plays up particularly when it gets hot (in direct sunlight for a period of time) which is what your starter/horn issue sounds like. The original switchgear had this issue and bmw replaced them foc with the revised part, the dealer should be able to tell which version is on your bike from their database.

edit - once cooled down the switchgear will often work fine again if its the faulty ones.
Top man... got extended warranty so I'll get it booked in... I'm sure electrics are fairly well covered....don't fancy a limp mode episode mid corner !

Extended warranty, great! It is not a cheap fix if its the loom and needs replacing as they did with mine.

on my 10 plate track bike i sometimes get the same running on 2/3 cylinders on start up, once turned off and restarted all is then fine. ive never found why it dose it and ive taken the loom off to check it through. it dose it once every few track days. it will be interesting to see what you find with yours. ive got alpha switch gear and alpha immobilizer so not a switch gear issue for mine.

Extended warranty, great! It is not a cheap fix if its the loom and needs replacing as they did with mine.
I remember that.....looms a bit of a job I'd imagine...couple of guys want to head out tomorrow.... I'm in two minds now

Check the connector in the switch gear is in properly

- Alex
Yea, good point... presume I have take the assembly apart...I'll have a look at an exploded view online ..see what goes where...cheers Alex

on my 10 plate track bike i sometimes get the same running on 2/3 cylinders on start up, once turned off and restarted all is then fine. ive never found why it dose it and ive taken the loom off to check it through. it dose it once every few track days. it will be interesting to see what you find with yours. ive got alpha switch gear and alpha immobilizer so not a switch gear issue for mine.
Interesting.. and worrying on the road never mind belting round a track.. following on from Soofs comment I wonder what the ECU would register if it was a chaffed wire... I'd rather have an engine die on me on a track than a road... my luck doesnt extend much to good situations.

Last edited:
Back