BMW S1000RR Gen 4 - "Long Term Review"

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great stuff mate... really informative. It does piss me off a little though, as I paid my deposit in October and the bike isn’t due till September. Ridiculous really.
Hang in there mate. It’s worth it. There are rumors on the German boards that the lads in Berlin will re-commence mass production in early August.

Hang in there mate. It?s worth it. There are rumors on the German boards that the lads in Berlin will re-commence mass production in early August.

Yeah, looks like I?m going to. I nearly gave up. Test rode an R1M... too cramped and due to be replaced. Test rode a V4S... I can?t justify an extra ?5000 for a bike that even the dealer said had some ?minor reliability issues? and that clutch sound 😖

Test rode the Gixxer and Fireblade SP and both are great bikes but a bit underwhelming. Love the idea of the Ape Factory, but it?s looking dated and I don?t like the colour scheme.

Looks like I?m stuck 😝

I?ve got my name down for a sport, but I?m wondering whether to just go for a nearly new Gen 3 instead.

This will be my first S1000RR and I?m starting to genuinely wonder if the new one will be worth the wait. I ordered in April and am now being told February is the likely date.

For those already with the Gen 3 - would appreciate your thoughts.

I’ve got my name down for a sport, but I’m wondering whether to just go for a nearly new Gen 3 instead.

This will be my first S1000RR and I’m starting to genuinely wonder if the new one will be worth the wait. I ordered in April and am now being told February is the likely date.

Both are 1l motor bikes capable of doing 300kph.

On public roads you wouldn't even discover 50% of what the engine/suspension/brakes is capable of.

I?ve got my name down for a sport, but I?m wondering whether to just go for a nearly new Gen 3 instead.

This will be my first S1000RR and I?m starting to genuinely wonder if the new one will be worth the wait. I ordered in April and am now being told February is the likely date.

The Gen 3 is an excellent bike, especially with the sports pack on. I?ve tracked, toured across Europe, commuted and pissed about on country roads. Can?t fault it if I?m honest.

However, people who have rode both reckon the new one is streets ahead. It all depends on how badly you want one I guess.

The Gen 3 is an excellent bike, especially with the sports pack on. I’ve tracked, toured across Europe, commuted and pissed about on country roads. Can’t fault it if I’m honest.

However, people who have rode both reckon the new one is streets ahead. It all depends on how badly you want one I guess.
I have owned a Gen 3 and I do own a Gen 4 and my advice to you and anyone else out there is WAIT. The Gen 3 is a brilliant bike, but the Gen 4 is just better.

Congratulations on your Gen 4 order!

In my opinion, unless there is a significant financial incentive, I would wait for the Gen 4.

I?ve put a fair few miles on my Gen 3 and whilst they are absolutely amazing bikes, without doubt the best and most enjoyed bike I?ve owned, they are the last of the original platform.
The Gen 4 is intrinsically special, as it is a ground up redesign, if I were in a position for a new bike I would feel a strong pull towards having the first of a new platform, rather than last of the original.

That being said, reliability wise an 18 model Gen 3 is probably the safest bet, if you are without a motorcycle at the moment and want to ride this Summer and if there is a satisfactory discount, then a Gen 3 would be a great option.

One thing is for certain though both Gen?s will be a superb ownership experience [emoji41]

... On public roads you wouldn't even discover 50% of what the engine/suspension/brakes is capable of.

Respectfully disagree [emoji6]

- Oli

Last edited:
I have owned a Gen 3 and I do own a Gen 4 and my advice to you and anyone else out there is WAIT. The Gen 3 is a brilliant bike, but the Gen 4 is just better.

D?oh! I was hoping you weren?t going to say that. Oh, and am I the only tight fecker to have opted for the Sport and not the M Sport?

D’oh! I was hoping you weren’t going to say that. Oh, and am I the only tight fecker to have opted for the Sport and not the M Sport?
I really don’t think that there’s a gigantic difference between the Sport and M Sport. Having said that, I’ve never tested the Sport, but again - can’t imagine it to be massive of a difference.

Re: BMW S1000RR Gen 4 - "Long Term Review"

Respectfully disagree [emoji6]
- Oli

I see where you're coming from.

I do have SuperDuke 1290R in North Italy/Dolomites and I ride it like I stole it there.

But BMW on track is totally different experience.

But Oli... 70mph is a far cry from 50% ;-))

True, you can?t use much of the engine performance on UK public roads legally [emoji2957]

But, you can experience considerably more than 50% of the chassis on roads and whilst it is not desirable or advantageous to use brakes heavily on road, you can nevertheless use brakes as hard as you desire.

The point is, you can absolutely enjoy and experience a significant proportion of a superbikes riding experience on road [emoji41]

I see where you're coming from.

I do have SuperDuke 1290R in North Italy/Dolomites and I ride it like I stole it there.

But BMW on track is totally different experience.

Fully agree that the only way to experience a bikes full potential is on track.
But you can still enjoy a sportbikes chassis throughly on road without going supersonic [emoji2957]

- Oli

Last edited:
Re: BMW S1000RR Gen 4 - "Long Term Review"

True, you can’t use much of the engine performance on UK public roads legally [emoji2957]

But, you can experience considerably more than 50% of the chassis on roads and whilst it is not desirable or advantageous to use brakes heavily on road, you can nevertheless use brakes as hard as you desire.

The point is, you can absolutely enjoy and experience a significant proportion of a superbikes riding experience on road [emoji41]

- Oli
Yeah.. stupid hazards turned on earlier on my way home. I was not even close to maximum braking.

I have had excellent treatment from Bahnstormers Alton and was offered a replacement bike the day before any of this news became common knowledge online plus the ?500 and places on offroad courses and other events that was worth a fair bit of extra money. They basically laid their cards and said 'this is what the problem is with BMW and this is what they are offering but also as a dealer we want to keep you happy so any suggestions are welcome.
I was already very engaged because i'd just test rode the demo the week before and was expecting my bike to arrive on 10th June as I was one of the first to order but I've got no complaints at all. Its dissapointing to not have the RR but I've got a brand new GS coming next week for free and I can do whatever I want with it until the RR gets here or even keep it until the weather improves next year if I wish.

Well I've not heard anything from them and they have lost one sale. My mate who ordered the same time as me is getting his deposit back. I'm hanging in there at the moment.
Very poor information, they can't/ or won't tell me anything. 👎

Well I've not heard anything from them and they have lost one sale. My mate who ordered the same time as me is getting his deposit back. I'm hanging in there at the moment.
Very poor information, they can't/ or won't tell me anything. [emoji107]

Seems like all the dealers have been told to zip it. Hearing the same from many people about their dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really interesting review, thanks
My BMW dealer in Wolves called me about the recall, sent me a picture in what to look for, I sent pic back from my bike and they got all clear from Germany within half an hour (luckily I was machine 2)
Bike due for first service on Saturday, and dealer collecting Thursday so they can do the software update beforehand.
Fully expect a few niggles with a new model, and have to say the service I have had from my dealer has been excellent.
Looking forward to seeing the change after the service and sure it will be as awesome as you have written.
Really feel for those still waiting, and hope BMW get the outstanding orders sorted asap.

Really interesting review, thanks
My BMW dealer in Wolves called me about the recall, sent me a picture in what to look for, I sent pic back from my bike and they got all clear from Germany within half an hour (luckily I was machine 2)
Bike due for first service on Saturday, and dealer collecting Thursday so they can do the software update beforehand.
Fully expect a few niggles with a new model, and have to say the service I have had from my dealer has been excellent.
Looking forward to seeing the change after the service and sure it will be as awesome as you have written.
Really feel for those still waiting, and hope BMW get the outstanding orders sorted asap.
Maybe we should start a new thread: 'The lucky 2 dot machines' haha

Maybe we should start a new thread: 'The lucky 2 dot machines' haha

I can join that thread too thankfully. First service in a couple of days and looking forward to seeing the back of the rev limiter. First thing that needs sorting is a more comfortable seat, I've actually been wearing padded cycling shorts underneath my leathers to ease the pain :friendly_wink:

Back