BMW S1000RR Gen 4 - "Long Term Review"

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
California Superbike School selling their V4S fleet on ebay, time to grab a bargain, at least they won't have been thrashed :cocksure:

Agreed with the above, all the different brands these days are epic bikes. I've always loved Ducati but I want to be able to race what ever I buy a year or two later and thats not possible with the capacity hike of the Panigale V4S and the RSV4 and I'm not paying ?35-40k to get a V4R race ready. Capacity hike makes sense for the road but not for the track. The BMW does the power with the same capacity so its the obvious choice for me and in all honesty it's the best bike I've rode.

I'm pretty sure that in the grand scheme of things these plenty is just a rounding error on sales sheet.

S1000rr sales are a tiny fraction of bmw bike sales, nearly all their sales are GS/GSA bikes so yes you are kinda correct.

Agreed with the above, all the different brands these days are epic bikes. I've always loved Ducati but I want to be able to race what ever I buy a year or two later and thats not possible with the capacity hike of the Panigale V4S and the RSV4 and I'm not paying ?35-40k to get a V4R race ready. Capacity hike makes sense for the road but not for the track. The BMW does the power with the same capacity so its the obvious choice for me and in all honesty it's the best bike I've rode.

what is capacity hike ?

BMW S1000RR Gen 4 - "Long Term Review"

what is capacity hike ?

Ducati V4 and V4S are 1100 cc, whereas the V4R is 1000cc.
For road/track day use it can be argued that a larger displacement is advantageous, as you don?t have race regulations to abide to

- Oli

Last edited:
Haha yeah true! Its bizarre how disconnected they are from the dealers. You'd think that BMW and indeed other manufacturers would understand that the dealers are the face and mouth of the Brand to the customer.
It?s not BMW. It?s your dealer that?s shite. I?ve seen the letter BMW has sent to their dealer network and the instructions are very clear. Your dealer is probably afraid of losing revenue due to possible cancellations.

Re: BMW S1000RR Gen 4 - "Long Term Review"

Ducati V4 and V4S are 1100 cc, whereas the V4R is 1000cc.
For road/track day use it can be argued that a larger displacement is advantageous, as you don’t have race regulations to abide to

- Oli

Yeah, forgot that they have bigger engine.

I've seen too many breakdowns at track with the v4. I know of at least six that have handed them back on reliability issues.
And at a recent European event, a mechanic from Ducati Coventry went out to keep all their customers bikes running.

It’s not BMW. It’s your dealer that’s shite. I’ve seen the letter BMW has sent to their dealer network and the instructions are very clear. Your dealer is probably afraid of losing revenue due to possible cancellations.
The dealers didn’t build the bikes, the dealers have been hit with the problems bmw have caused and are having to pick up the pieces

The dealers didn’t build the bikes, the dealers have been hit with the problems bmw have caused and are having to pick up the pieces
BMW have caused issues fair enough, but they also instructed all dealers to communicate what’s happening which most dealers haven’t done. BMW also allocated 500 GBP for each customer that the dealer is supposed to tell you about. BMW have allocated loan bikes that dealers can and should give out to their customers again which most haven’t done.

The latest Fast Bikes magazine has an ultimate sportsbike test. All the usual suspects - R1M, GSXR, Fireblade SP, V4S, RSV4 Factory and the M Sport.

Great result for the M sport.

The latest Fast Bikes magazine has an ultimate sportsbike test. All the usual suspects - R1M, GSXR, Fireblade SP, V4S, RSV4 Factory and the M Sport.

Great result for the M sport.
Do you have a link handy?

BMW have caused issues fair enough, but they also instructed all dealers to communicate what’s happening which most dealers haven’t done. BMW also allocated 500 GBP for each customer that the dealer is supposed to tell you about. BMW have allocated loan bikes that dealers can and should give out to their customers again which most haven’t done.
I have had excellent treatment from Bahnstormers Alton and was offered a replacement bike the day before any of this news became common knowledge online plus the ?500 and places on offroad courses and other events that was worth a fair bit of extra money. They basically laid their cards and said 'this is what the problem is with BMW and this is what they are offering but also as a dealer we want to keep you happy so any suggestions are welcome.
I was already very engaged because i'd just test rode the demo the week before and was expecting my bike to arrive on 10th June as I was one of the first to order but I've got no complaints at all. Its dissapointing to not have the RR but I've got a brand new GS coming next week for free and I can do whatever I want with it until the RR gets here or even keep it until the weather improves next year if I wish.

I have had excellent treatment from Bahnstormers Alton and was offered a replacement bike the day before any of this news became common knowledge online plus the ?500 and places on offroad courses and other events that was worth a fair bit of extra money. They basically laid their cards and said 'this is what the problem is with BMW and this is what they are offering but also as a dealer we want to keep you happy so any suggestions are welcome.
I was already very engaged because i'd just test rode the demo the week before and was expecting my bike to arrive on 10th June as I was one of the first to order but I've got no complaints at all. Its dissapointing to not have the RR but I've got a brand new GS coming next week for free and I can do whatever I want with it until the RR gets here or even keep it until the weather improves next year if I wish.

As long as you?re happy that?s all that matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ladies,

so I figured I'd start a new thread and basically summarize my thoughts of this bike. It doesn't really fit into the ride review and delivery thread imho; so admins please don't rip my head off :)

Order / Pre-delivery:

I've ordered my bike late November 2018, paid 2000 Euro deposit and the initial delivery week was week 26 (which is next week). The delivery date changed almost on a daily basis, this one time it even changed to week 51! Dealers be dealers, great communication before I paid and absolutely nothing once they've received my hard earned $$$.

Delivery:

I've taken delivery of my bike on the 4th of June 2019, loads of congratulations, handshakes, pats on the backs and some paperwork. Bike was literally running on fumes as the dealer didn't bother to fuel it at all. It actually died from fuel starvation 200 meters in front of the gas station.

Pre run-in service:

I thought it was a brilliant bike. Stupid fast. Absolutely great handling, sound was cool too (yes, even with the fugly stock exhaust system). You can definitely feel that they've worked hard to put some more kick in the lower RPM band. The dash is stunning and HUGE in relation to the size of the bike. You have nice gauges, stunning screens, loads of information, turn by turn directions and then some. The riding modes are as follows:
- RAIN
- ROAD
- DYNAMIC
- RACE

Rain mode feels like a really, really vicious 400cc, Road mode is actually great for... roads. Soft suspension, decent throttle response, manageable torque, tiny wheelies and a nice pop when you let off the throttle. Dynamic is pretty much the same as road mode, except the suspension is a tad harder, throttle that bit more responsive and you can do better wheelies. Race mode.. well yeah.. race mode. Suspension too hard for roads, throttle very responsive, almost twitchy and you can pop decent wheelies. I have not yet tested the race pro 1/2/3 modes.
Neutral was literally impossible to find, almost to a point where I thought about bringing my bike to the dealer. Left handlebar controls completely malfunctioned twice on me. The only fix was to disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Recall:

I found out about the recall on social media. It wasn't my dealer and it wasn't BMW UK / HQ. I've contacted them multiple times and every single time I was told 'we do not know'. Communication was a joke and I was very, very close to utilizing Irish consumer laws and demand a refund. I went absolutely haywire on the phone, via email, on social media and that worked! Once I've publicly slashed BMW on social media, it took them 5 hours to contact me. The BMW Assembly Plant in Berlin contacted me first and promised that they will make sure someone with knowledge will contact me. One hour later the head of customer support at BMW UK contacted me and gave me all the information I wanted / needed. He was brilliant actually. There were three milling machines that produced parts for the engine. One of them was faulty for 3 weeks in May. During those 3 weeks, all three milling machines produced parts for 340 engines. They were producing parts at the same pace, which means that 226 engines were fine and 113 were faulty. Each machine embosses their identifier in form of dots onto the engines. Machine 1 = 1 dot, machine 2 = 2 dots and machine 3 = 3 dots. Machine 3 was the faulty one, so all engines with 3 dots are faulty and will be replaced. Engines with one or two dots are absolutely fine. There will be no production during the months of June and July (that's when BMW make changes to their manufacturing facilities). Mass production is scheduled to resume in August 2019. On top of that, one of their suppliers cannot keep up with the demand, but BMW expects these issues to be resolved by the time they resume mass production.

Post run-in service:

I am honestly not sure how to word this, but this bike is the best I've ever ridden, and I've ridden them all. The power is mind bending, the handling is out of this world. BMW can tell us what they will, but they not only limit the revs during the first 1000km. Something else was limited / restricted as well. The overall riding experience has improved dramatically since the run-in service. I have the BMW S1000RR M Sport, use Motul 300V and Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 2 - nothing can beat this combination in my opinion. My 'finding neutral' issues have disappeared as well. I guess it's a combination of the break in and BMW adjusting my clutch play. A software update has also fixed the issues I've had with my left handlebar controls. Note: The first software update takes about 4 hours and BMW do not do it without you asking them for it. It's not part of the run-in service. The M Sport seat is still shit and nothing will ever change that, except a replacement; for which BMW charges you 340 Euro by the way :p

Bottom line. Buy this bike. If you already did, wait for it - you will not be disappointed.

P.s. If you find any typos / grammar mess ups... you can keep them :)

noxx

Great stuff mate... really informative. It does piss me off a little though, as I paid my deposit in October and the bike isn?t due till September. Ridiculous really.

Back