Brembo 18-20 master cylinder

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have an HP4 and want to change the master cylinder, does anyone know if the Motorrad flip up levers will fit the master cylinder, cheers guys

I was thinking on changing my MC to the Brembo one.. as I've never been overly impressed with my front brakes.. who's changed over, is there a noticeable improvement in stopping power ?.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I was thinking on changing my MC to the Brembo one.. as I've never been overly impressed with my front brakes.. who's changed over, is there a noticeable improvement in stopping power ?.

Cheers

Stopping power no, better feeling and better feedback from the lever yes.

Hmmmm.. not really what I'm after..

Cheers for the reply..

Last edited:
Stopping power is all from the pads really - friction co-efficient (Mu)
Lever feel and pressure is the MC

Yea figuring that out now, just wondered about that MC !.

I've had OE, SBS Sintered and currently these Goldfren GP5s, all are pretty good and very happy with these Godlfrens, but always feel that the brakes could do more... no different from anyone else I guess...

I've got a set of unused brembo sc pads I never fitted to the HP4 if you fancy a change Stu?

I've got a set of unused brembo sc pads I never fitted to the HP4 if you fancy a change Stu?

Aaargh! I've just ordered some SC's from Carpimoto. Could have bought them off you. :)

Anyway, I had a Brembo 19/20 master cylinder on my previous GSX-R. Matched to some proper calipers and with Z04 pads the braking was fantastic. However, I've found the HP4 to be pretty good too. I'm not sure that the master cylinder will give you masses more braking capability. As mentioned above, pad and pad material probably has a greater bearing on it. For what it's worth, the Z04 pads were amazing on both road and track. However, they were very expensive. On the flip side, getting 15k miles from a set was pretty easy.

The Z04's for the HP4 caliper appears to be ?350-400 for a set, so I chose to go the Brembo SC pad route. I suspect it won't be as good, but will be fine for 95% of the riding I do.

Surprisingly the master cylinder makes a really big difference on the BMW. I tried just the MC before putting my GP4 callipers on and in hindsight I would keep the stock callipers other than the annoying four pad setup unless you are an absolute demon on the brakes they are plenty good enough with a decent MC.

Last edited:
Pads are the cheaper option David... might sort out a deal with Soof see what the Brembos are like... always avoided them simply down to price... just couldnt see how they would be twice as good as pads half the price..

The roads up here lend themselves nicely to fast riding... I'm always looking for that edge on the brakes... I dare say thats not any different from anyone else tbh..

Last edited:
Guess it's a personal thing, when I started racing with the gen 1 I moved up to the HH pads, buying the gen 3 I moved up to the zo4's, never changed a standard disc or m/c. Loved the progressive feel of the lever, could stand it on it's nose at any time and never had an issue with fade or lever coming back to the bar. I'm not the fastest , run about mid pack in club.

I?m going to put my 18-20 brembo mc on my HP4 at the weekend, I noticed a massive difference on my r6 when racing with this mc compared to stock, it should make a big difference as the stock mc on my Hp4 seems horrible almost sponge like and not any feel when in slick mode

Starting to pay attention to Brembo pads tonight... do you run the Z04s on a road bike Bananaman ?.... 2 hunner quid an axle set, have I read that right ?.... ffs ..

Going back to my double/treble/quadruple price increase thing for how much better..hmmmm..

I?m going to put my 18-20 brembo mc on my HP4 at the weekend, I noticed a massive difference on my r6 when racing with this mc compared to stock, it should make a big difference as the stock mc on my Hp4 seems horrible almost sponge like and not any feel when in slick mode
David fancy letting me know your feedback, what discs and pads are you running on your HP ?

Starting to pay attention to Brembo pads tonight... do you run the Z04s on a road bike Bananaman ?.... 2 hunner quid an axle set, have I read that right ?.... ffs ..

Going back to my double/treble/quadruple price increase thing for how much better..hmmmm..

Yes, also hard to get these days. Hence many people switched to SBS. They are also expensive.

Back