Track day Tyres

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glan y Nant

Reaction score
Hi all
just joined the forum, I've doe a number of track days on my 2016 model and are currently using bridgestone S21's which I find great, as I do use the bike on the road when the weather permits, however I feel I am starting to speed up a fair bit on the track I want to get another set of tyres for my next track day any suggestions, something a bit more track orientated?
I don't have tyre warmers
Cheers

Would you mind heading to the Welcome section and posting a bit about yourself? We ask this of all new members. Great to have new folk intro themselves.

- Alex

For the tyres I think the choices are.
Pirelli SC V3's
Pirelli Corsa 2's
Dunlop TT's
Metzeler K3's

The TT's would be my choice next but I have not used them.

And fwiw the new Bridgestone S22 is supposed to be much faster than the S21.

There's lots of choice and hardly a bad tyre out there.

- Alex

I can only comment on Michelin Power RS, I absolutely love them. However there are an awful lot of people on here with far more knowledge than me [emoji23]
Ian, County Durham.

PS I'd booked Caldwell Park for Tuesday. I don't think I'll be travelling given the lousy weather [emoji24], its a good 3 hours from me. I'm hoping for a part refund.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

From threaded I tried Pirelli Supercorsa SC and they were really good. Expensive tho.

Murtanio uses Dunlop GP Pro D213 and he is super quick.

Welcome to the forum!

Am glad to hear you?re enjoying your RR on both road and track [emoji41]

I have S22?s fitted currently and in my opinion they are comparable to the S21?s, slightly better in the wet but no better in the dry.
As you would like something more track focussed and only ride on the road in the dry, I think you would be better served with one of the hypersport options, such as SuperCorsa SP?s, Racetech RR K3?s, RS10?s etc.

Enjoy the forum and I hope you have a great Summer ahead [emoji4]

- Oli

From threaded I tried Pirelli Supercorsa SC and they were really good. Expensive tho.

Murtanio uses Dunlop GP Pro D213 and he is super quick.

I shy'd away from suggesting D213's as I feel they are safer used with Warmers, particularly in cooler climates...
I am going to try them, but I am not sure without warmers.

Well, all tires are safer used with warmers. All depends on your initial pace out of the pit.

I used S21's on my Tuono V4 1100 last year at an Oulton "road bike only" day - warmed up in a lap and good enough to run 1m 56s without any issues.(that pace would just about ok for the back of the fast group on a "normal" day)

You can get them for ?190 a pair which is a bit of a bargin imho.

appreciate all the info glad I joined up, i've made the plunge and ordered some tyre warmers so will probably give the Pirelli SC V3's a go, i'll keep you posted with how I get on

Well, all tires are safer used with warmers. All depends on your initial pace out of the pit.
I knew a lad who cooked his road tyres after using tyre warmers, when hot in spain he was he lasted 2 corners a top class racer told him to hot , you have made them like grease

yeh I know you really need track tyres to be using tyre warmers, i've never had to use to date, but getting some Pirelli SC2's so will probably give them a warm before setting of down the track!

SC2's need warmers, they are track tyres. Don't last too long so cost can become a factor.
SP V3's are road tyres which don't need warmers...just dry weather.

Last edited:
The hyper sports type tyres like the Supercorsa SP might not technically need tyre warmers but they still benefit massively from it. Its the heat cycles that kill the grip in tyres so if you can keep them warm all day at the track they will last a lot longer back on the road afterwards. The guy that boiled his road tyres with warmers probably didn't check his pressures.

The 32 - 35 psi that a lot of people use on the road can shoot up to a dangerous 40+ psi once they get hot on the warmers. You need to let the air out before going on track so they are back down to ~34 front 26-28 rear hot. The same happens if you dont use warmers but go hard on track, they will boil up if you dont check the hot pressures and let some air out.

The hyper sports type tyres like the Supercorsa SP might not technically need tyre warmers but they still benefit massively from it. Its the heat cycles that kill the grip in tyres so if you can keep them warm all day at the track they will last a lot longer back on the road afterwards. The guy that boiled his road tyres with warmers probably didn't check his pressures.

The 32 - 35 psi that a lot of people use on the road can shoot up to a dangerous 40+ psi once they get hot on the warmers. You need to let the air out before going on track so they are back down to ~34 front 26-28 rear hot. The same happens if you dont use warmers but go hard on track, they will boil up if you dont check the hot pressures and let some air out.
He was down to 30 psi hot but they were like grease, don't need warmers on road tyres, heat cycles don't come into it they are road tryes and probably heat up 1000's of times.

He was down to 30 psi hot but they were like grease, don't need warmers on road tyres, heat cycles don't come into it they are road tryes and probably heat up 1000's of times.

I?m no tyre expert, but I can imagine in very hot conditions any road tyre would struggle on track.

Heat cycling is not an issue on the road as tyres don?t get anything like as hot as on track.

Whilst road tyres don?t ?need? warmers on track, there is undoubtedly an advantage using them

- Oli

Every road legal tyre I have used on a trackday (never on warmers) starts to slide after a few hot laps with the exception of the SCs. Its apparently (I’m no expert)due to oils/silica in the rubber compound that comes out at higher temps. I would think warmers would only exacerbate the overheating issue.

Back