Chain life

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do same as Alex but fire engine up and stick into 2nd gear.... just be careful with rag when holding against chain...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I was told to never ever clean a chain that way.

I do similar to alex but I use cloths because the chain rips the paper towels to pieces when I do it.

9c9090ff5152468513564a2ce42e328e.jpg

Right then. Sounds like a clean and lube after each ride is in order.

Got muc off to clean and werthlube. Brush and rag to clean?

I usually use a sheet of cardboard between wheel and chain to stop worst of mess in past.

What do you guys do? (I gotta paddock stand but can?t remove wheel or chain)

Are you sure that's a 120 link chain ? I've never seen a Gen 3 with the wheel / spindle so far forward in the swinging arm. The earlier models used a 118 link chain. Might just be an optical illusion in the picture but certainly looks that way to me.....

I was told to never ever clean a chain that way.

I do similar to alex but I use cloths because the chain rips the paper towels to pieces when I do it.
Never a problem if your careful Soof.. I make a tight lump with cloth and hold it against chain...even if it was snatched I'd just let go of the cloth...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Are you sure that's a 120 link chain ? I've never seen a Gen 3 with the wheel / spindle so far forward in the swinging arm. The earlier models used a 118 link chain. Might just be an optical illusion in the picture but certainly looks that way to me.....
You make a good point...

- Alex

How many miles does your chain last Oli? Mine was still good @22K when I sold the bike.

~ 18 - 20k I reckon with a DID chain, though I managed less with the OEM.
I always apply Wurth dry lube after a ride, but only clean the chain when cleaning the bike, which means it?s usually every few applications of lube, so there?s inevitably wear and tear due to grit buildup, but it?s a decent faff/cost ratio in my opinion [emoji2957]

- Oli

Last edited:

No idea, evo. B&C sent the wrong front sprocket, so wouldn't put it past them to have sent the wrong chain too. Attached the order form. I can see "120". Might ask the mechanic if he chucked a link. Or count them myself. I presume I need to count 120 links?

Untitled-1.jpg

Back