Calipers and discs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy

Reaction score
Hi need some advise thinking of replacing calipers and discs, 26000 miles a couple of the pistons in the calipers are a bit lazy even though they are cleaned often the rims on a couple of the pistons are chipped and the bobbins on the discs are very loose and rattling like fully floating discs not sure if they are suppose to be that loose not sure what to do for the best an advise would be appreciated thanks.

Bit extreme replacement calipers, why not clean out and replace seals, pins etc.. piss easy to work on as they are 1 piece.. Mic your discs at 26k they will almost certainly be on the limit..mine were..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi Stu thanks for the reply thought the pistons would be a bugger to remove as not a lot of room did not know there were pins in the calipers who would you recommend bying the seal kit from thanks

Calipers and Discs

You can buy replacement pistons and seals from your BMW dealership. As for brake discs just check the thickness first. They may not need replacing and just need to be removed from the wheel and given a good clean.

Hi Stu thanks for the reply thought the pistons would be a bugger to remove as not a lot of room did not know there were pins in the calipers who would you recommend bying the seal kit from thanks
Hi, yea dunno must have been thinking about the rear or something duh... I'm sure this is the correct service set...

34117710740 Set of brake pistons with seals..

As Ryan says you could try cleaning up the discs, at 26k personally I'd replace them...however as I said Mic them first, they very well could be fine..

Last edited:
There's various methods of removing pistons, compressed air is a favourite of mine.

Use a Schrader car Valve with the core removed and attached to an airline and a cloth pressed between the opposing pistons, remove nipple completely and press base of valve over nipple hole, just control the air and gently release enough to blow pistons out.

It's very simple if you remove the caliper and do this on a bench.

Thanks very much for your help guy that's good advice . I will give it a try thank you.

Hi, regarding the discs, float side to side is fine. Front to back ie in direction of wheel travel is a no-no. Measure disc thickness. Don?t let them get below minimum as they can?t dissipate the heat and will at least warp and could shatter. Not much fun that last one. Punctured radiator and wheel damage would be a lucky escape.

Calipers themselves are easy to service. Don?t buy from BMW as the cost will be ridiculous. Those calipers have been std issue on Ducati?s/KTM?s for 12 years. KTM or someone like Powerhouse would be the cheapest. Sealey/draper all do motorcycle piston removers that grip the inside of the piston that I?ve used for decades even on completely buggered calipers where air doesn?t work. Final tip on servicing or removing pistons. A long 1/4 ratchet extension down where the disc would sit normally allows you to pump the pistons on 95% of calipers to very nearly full extension evenly. If you only want to pump one side out. Put a block of wood on one pair between the 1/4 socket extension and pistons. Hope that helps. Jamie

Thanks your comments are very helpful just like Stuart and Rys1000rr thanks very much.

Back