Electrical gremlins #2 [Stator]

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker

Reaction score
Hi all....

New gremlins for me to play with :D

A couple of weeks ago I noticed the battery was getting fairly weak so decided to replace it...

After mucho research I decided on a Lithium Ion since putting the beast on a diet is always good, right? :eagerness:

Anyway I ended up purchasing a Shido Connect YTX16-BS (which fits perfectly with no mods - most of extra height is removable plastic addon blocks, the actual battery is 150w x 87d x 112h) because I liked the idea of being able to tell charge state on my phone via bluetooth and the 3.5kg weight saving was most welcome :unconscious:

So I installed and the bike started brilliantly and everything was great so went for 20 mile ride...parked up for a few mins aaaand... no start!

Tried bumping it but a totally flat area with zero available helpers meant zero success so parked up and nipped home for old battery (which i luckily had fully charged) which I swopped over then home for testing....

With a fully charged battery at tickover I was getting 11.82v across the terminals ...not good!

Limped it 10 miles to the workshop for a full diagnostic earlier today....

The plugs were a pig to get at since they were very securely attached to the Reg / Rec so ended up removing the rear wheel and shock for access...

A little bit of corrosion in the plugs and a smidge of oil in the Stator side but not much...

Electrically on the Alt side all looked good...

On the Stator side all resistances were 0.4 ohms so fine...

No shorts to ground so all good...

However the A/C test produced some amusing results...

(all at 2000rpm)

Pin 1-2 15v (slightly below normal)
Pin 1-3 5v (terrible)
Pin 2-3 8v (also terrible)

(All should really be 20v+ and match across all terminals)

AHA!

Knackered stator confirmed....

Soooooooo....

How many of you have had stators go bad and have you replaced them with any aftermarket items?

For example is the Electrosport ESG845 really much better than oem or is it 100% marketing bs?

Also if any of you swapped yours out for a race stator i'm in the market for an oem :D

Mine went a couple of weeks ago - replacement from m&p/busters ?190 on ebay.
Seems to work fine.
Points to note - getting connector block from reg rec through between frame and engine is tricky ended up taking crank breather out to get room, also sprocket cover needs to come off. Generator cover uses silicone rtv no gasket no need to drain oil on paddock stand, bolts are ok to reuse.
Otherwise easy job

Good info, thank you :)

Did you measure the volts across the battery terminals before / after at tickover / x RPM?

Just curious if the ESG845 hit 14v as claimed ;)

After a thorough clean up I got my output up to 12.8v which is still not quite good enough long term but just enough to use the bike with a charge every couple of days while waiting for the replacement...

Update:

Replacement Stator arrived on Thursday and fitted it today.

Old vs new pic:

2jxvmd.jpg

Old one (bottom) mostly burnt out and wires were routed too close to exhaust headers so brittle as well....

After fitting voltage check at tickover = perfect :)

n2kc55.jpg

mine had burnt the top coil out so all 3 wires went to earth - so no change of voltage across the battery - initial thoughts were reg rec but having taken it out and checked the resitances thought i'd need to check stator - which was faulty

more fun to be had with mine - on the way home through france yesterday and bike has stopped charging - waiting for it to be repatriatred to fully check, but the battery seems ok at 11.8v jumps ok but doesn't seem to charge once running.
replacement was the ESG845 as well, so not sure if that's failed (1 year warranty) or the replacement reg rec. managed nearly 3 months and 2000 miles - but don't want it to become a consumable!
will post when resolved

Back