Gen 4 test ride feedback?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the problem for me is why do some people feel the vibs and some dont. i would love ago on someones bike that have all ready bought it and says theres no vibs at all.

Had my M 6 weeks and no significant vibes at any point. Have to say it’s odd compared to what others have reported but I just don’t get them.

Many XR have really bad vibes. I test rode one and it was reasonable and then I tried another and it immediately put me off the bike completely. One person reckoned it was differences in torques of the bar ends or something like that at the factory. It seems very unlikely you'd get that on a German assembly line but it was odd how some would have it and others not.

met a chap in my local bike meet cafe today, he bought a red 19 sport when it first came out. his dealer sold him there demo bike. he was saying how great a bike it is so i asked about vibrations through the bars and the mirrors. he said he had owned ducatis so it wasn't an issue.lol. he said if you get the rpm just right you didnt notice the vibs through the bars and the mirrors were useless but no worse than his ducati.

met a chap in my local bike meet cafe today, he bought a red 19 sport when it first came out. his dealer sold him there demo bike. he was saying how great a bike it is so i asked about vibrations through the bars and the mirrors. he said he had owned ducatis so it wasn't an issue.lol. he said if you get the rpm just right you didnt notice the vibs through the bars and the mirrors were useless but no worse than his ducati.

It's a wierd BMW inline 4 issue this vibe business, I chopped by gen2 in for a gen3 partly because it was a better bike but mainly because after 3 hours of riding the gen2's vibes were so bad I got numb fingers that at its worst would take a couple of days to get over. I never had an issue with it on my gen 3 which I had from new (but I know some others did) while my gen2 was an ex demo bike so I wondered if it was something to do with not being run in properly... Whatever, its frustrating that despite all the development and tech vibrations should even be mentioned as a potential problem on the gen4.

It's a wierd BMW inline 4 issue this vibe business, I chopped by gen2 in for a gen3 partly because it was a better bike but mainly because after 3 hours of riding the gen2's vibes were so bad I got numb fingers that at its worst would take a couple of days to get over. I never had an issue with it on my gen 3 which I had from new (but I know some others did) while my gen2 was an ex demo bike so I wondered if it was something to do with not being run in properly... Whatever, its frustrating that despite all the development and tech vibrations should even be mentioned as a potential problem on the gen4.

ive just watced a few more reviews on youtube and its a split some say very smooth with no vibs and some say very viby. my ge3 has nothing to mention either and i jumped off that onto the gen 4 which might have highlighted it more. salesman said its the old tyres but i dont think he knew what he was talking about. hopefully try it this week on new tyres.

well thats test ride number 2 done. 150 miles or so. arrived at motorad cheltenham in my van as to not compare directly from my gen 3 to the gen 4 as i did before. first thing i noticed as there were a new set of power RS tyres fit which i dont like that much anyway and the roads were very wet. oh well get on with it, it only has a £250 excess.lol. The clutch side grip had been tightened which was a lot better and i think the chain had more lube on it. first thing i noticed was the vibrations were slightly less, no where near as much through my hands as before and with the thicker dual compound grips i prefer i think the vibrations wont be an issue. ( its still a lot more than the gen3 though). The mirrors were still useless, i could make out shapes but that was about it, as im normally the leader of our group i would need to sort them out as im looking back as much as forward. Right then handling, before the bike on the old tyres was not good and i tried all the normal modes. this time i stuck with race mode. now it was better but still not stiff enough on the front end even on its hardest standard race setting. Luckily it has the 3 x pro modes that i think i will be able to get it sorted with. managed 48 degrees quite easily but the roads were mainly damp or full wet. At higher lean angles it did feel very nice once the bike was settled, i like to hit corners hard on the brakes and i dont think the suspension with the race mode liked the way i like to ride.:). Lastly the seat. ffs its hard. 100 miles and i needed a butt massage lol. i didnt realize either last time i rode it that it has the M sport high seat. wtf why not have the medium that the bikes actually come with . i think i will still order the low seat as i like to be in the bike and not perched on it. The standard seat is also going to be on my list of things to buy. oh and lastly lastly the rearsets, they will need to go, there made for size 10 plus feet and my dainty little size 8's had lots of moving around to change gear,. i was changing gear with my toe half of the time and found neutral a few times when pulling ways. the clutch still juddered on pulling away and in the wet it was not fun.

would i now buy one....i hope so as ive put down my deposit. im sort of hoping some of the little issues ( like the cracked fairing) will be sorted by the time my bikes being made next march april. :)

Well that's good news you have kept the faith! Glad it went better, if not as well as you might have expected. Bizzare they put a high seat on it.

I was wondering if the taller M seat might have more padding and hence be more comfortable - from what r25sti is saying obviously not!
Shame.

i do think thats why they fit a higher seat. thinking it would be more comfy. i just found it just gave a little more leg room which is another reason they might have it fit. defo not comfy and gave the feeling of being more perched on top rather than in it.

rs25sti’s the 1st person I’ve heard managing 48 deg lean in the wet. We all know the earth’s flat, but he needs to be careful he doesn’t run off the edge of it!

rs25sti’s the 1st person I’ve heard managing 48 deg lean in the wet. We all know the earth’s flat, but he needs to be careful he doesn’t run off the edge of it!

there were dry parts. i had to go 50 miles to find it though, maybe 35 on the wet bits.

run off the edge of what?

Last edited:
Back