Gen 4 test ride feedback?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The finish just looks cheap and poor quality compared to the gen3, possibly a better paint job would sort it?

baz if ur selling the pc5 I?d be interested

The finish just looks cheap and poor quality compared to the gen3, possibly a better paint job would sort it?

baz if ur selling the pc5 I’d be interested

Yes,power commander can go for ?160 inc pp.It's dyno mapped at 203bhp with full system.

Had a 2hour run on the new bike. A red one, the M version isnt ready for demo at this point.

What a bike!! It feels so much more nible than the 15 version i have. Shifter and blipper are super smooth, engine is extremley quiet and coupled with the euro exhaust means its great on the ears. Power delivery is amazing and the TFT looks great in the sport mode. No slick plug anymore. Its just an option in the dash menu now 3 custom rider modes is handy. Deffinatly as alot more lowdown torque. Suspension feels alot smoother but still allows the bike to change direction on a dime

Only bad things i took away from it are, the seat afrer about an hour feels like a plank of wood. And the neutral was a little hard to select. But other than that all good!

Awaiting better weather to take it a few laps arpund the local ulster GP circuit and really test it.

The only thing I didn't really like about the gen3 was the lack of feel from the front, have they sorted that on the gen4?

@macrr On the current run i had on it it was hard to tell as i never got a good twisty run on it.

Does the engine spin up quickly ?... what about on the over run if you pull the clutch and give it a blip then..is it responsive ?.

Cheers for the write up btw..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

There is a lot less mass and therefore inertia according to the specs, this is one of ways they saved ultimately saved 4kg in the engine alone.

- Alex

What a bike! The new S1000RR is immense. I reckon it will be the bike to beat in stock form at least. The engine is perfectly linear to the point you forget to change gear to start with. Its very very easy to ride fast. Felt like I was smashing it on my R6 it was so agile. It?s light as an R1 but much easier on the steering. The only negative was the brakes felt a bit poor but an MC fixes that on the Gen 3 so probably a cheap job.

Its so perfectly setup to go really fast easily that I reckon some people who are not going so fast will actually feel a bit underwhelmed since it's so well behaved.

I've spent thousands and many months getting my Gen 3 to where it is now and this new bike does it all straight out of the box. I'm seriously impressed!

If that's so why are the current stockers using the old model ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gen 4

why are the current stockers using the old model?

The only UK based race teams that have been supplied with the new model are Tyco BMW and Smiths Racing BMW. Both teams receive Factory level support hence why they have the new bike and no one else does.

The only thing I didn't really like about the gen3 was the lack of feel from the front, have they sorted that on the gen4?
It definitely has a lot more feel in the front than the Gen 3. Its feels similiar to begin with: it still has that feeling of running off the front wheel but it's different once you start to push it, it feeds back more readily whereas the old bike seems to need more blind trust in the front. The whole chassis is much more lighter, it took me a fair while to stop fifty-pencing corners due to it turning so well!

Just got back from a 70 mile ride
Ran it in dynamic mode first , then in race. Throttle is far better in race but I?d still like it sharper
What a bike through the twisties tho , so easy compared to my zx10. 46 degrees both sides , cracking brakes
Can?t say it feels any quicker as it?s power delivery is so different
Looking forward to getting mine tho

Re: Gen 4

The only UK based race teams that have been supplied with the new model are Tyco BMW and Smiths Racing BMW. Both teams receive Factory level support hence why they have the new bike and no one else does.
Yes I was referring to the superstock class not BSB class

Gen 4

Yes I was referring to the superstock class not BSB class

The same applies for Superstock. Tyco BMW are running a Superstock bike in the BSB Support Class this year, and at the TT. Likewise Smiths Racing BMW built a Superstock bike specially for Peter Hickman to race at the TT. Both are Factory backed teams. All those racers and teams who are still using the older model are doing so because it still remains a competitive bike in Superstock specification. Unlike the Factory supported teams, they were not provided with the new bike well in advance of the official launch date, and importantly before the start of the race season for testing. This is why you are not seeing the Gen 4 being raced this year. Next season the new model will be much more common in the Superstock class as it will have become more widely available to private teams and riders.

Re: Gen 4

For the 2019 race season only if you are a BMW Factory supported team or rider.

Or they put an order in early and are getting one now-just like us mortals.

And then,of course,they need to get it working properly-far easier to run last years bike!

one thing i noticed when i jumped from it back to my 15 RR was 6th gear 60/70mph on the motorway when you pinned the throttle the 15 bike had a small "lag" which would have just been a lack of torque compared to the new engine. when got WOP in 6th the bike just seemed to pick up and go.

for anyone wondering, my top speed was 171, and the small standard screen gets a bit sketchy at that point if you dont have a locking visor. but generally no wind buffeting otherwise

One of the R1 lads posted this up after his recent test ride.
No real surprises that a rider of another bike would have a negative view.

Guys i took out the s1000rr sport today.
Gave it some stick and put it through its paces.
I cant make my mind up on it. Its got some really good points as well as some horrid points.
I will list what i found as thruthful and honest opinions rather than the guys on youtube who say every new bike is the best thing since sliced bread.
Stupidly i watched all reviews of this bike so was real hyped up and i thought i knew what it was going to be like before i rode it. But i was wrong.
Firsrly the looks. We all like a good looking bike but the sport looks dull and actually in the flesh the gen3 looks better in my opinion even with its wonky lights.
My first impressions riding it were oh great. At last there is a bike with a smooth yet responsive throttle thats easy to use. Its very easy to pull away and monouvure.
Then i thought god what is that tapping noise coming from the engine. Its like the valves are hitting from 2 to 3k revs. Very annoying when cruising in traffic.
Then i gave it some beans. Anticipating this huge grunt thats advertised all over the web. Expecting it to grunt like the r1. Man what a dissapointment. The grunt is nowhere near like all the talk going about. Its basically a screamer. It doesnt really go untill youve got alot of revs on. Yes it is very fast up top. Every bit as fast as the rsv4 factory. But the engine is harsh, noisey and buzzes through the bars causing numb hands.
The brakes really annoy me. They have half a lever travel before they work. Just the same as the gsxr brakes do. But they do work quite well and i didnt have brake fade issues where i usially would on the road i went on.
The abs cut in a few times but it wasnt too bad. I could live with it unlike my yam abs which is bloody lethal.
The gearbox feels the same as the gen3 which was great with one exception. The blipper is crap. Yes i cant believe im saying it. The blipper didnt work half the time. Sometimes i just couldnt get it to change down.
I ended up stamping on the lever to get it to actually try and change. It was better at higher speeds but anything under 7000 i had to change manually.
The geometry i was so critical of prior to riding wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be.
The pros for that geometry is super easy changes of direction. No weight on wrists to change direction and comfy moving from lefy to right without forcing things.
But the bad sides are on bumpy roads you need a very good steering damper to save your ass. Plus on high lean angle i went over a slight hump in the road which gave me that horrid front end tuck feeling of which i dont get on other bikes over the same bit of road. I bet front end tucks are going to be how most of the crashes will happen on the s1000rr.
The suspension is good. Its definately revised as described. It doesnt seem to be dynamic at lean which is great for feel. And you change from dynamic to race and you notice a real change in how the bike rides.
The screen is very low. Not sure why but its lower than before.
At the end of the day i got straight on it and could ride it pretty quick so its a pretty good bike. Not all bikes are like that but when i jumped back on my r1 i was over the moon with the extra grunt i have. Fair enough my bike is flashed but the torque is way more from lower down and on the road i can use that torque everywhere.
The s1000rr wasnt alive untill 10k revs and you cant ride like that all the time on the road. Youd kill yourself.
You got to ride one to make up your own mind but i feel for all those who pre ordered one purely on the spec sheets coz its not what you think it is.
Ps the sport is 16700. The standard rr doesnt have many toys at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back