Gen 4 test ride feedback?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet any money this guys riding ability is as bad as his journalistic qualities...

Brake fade comments.....lol.. really....on a test ride....ABS kicking in.....this guys a top level rider clearly.. ...Dynamic at lean lol....

His comments are all over the shop and don't really make any sense..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I bet any money this guys riding ability is as bad as his journalistic qualities...

Brake fade comments.....lol.. really....on a test ride....ABS kicking in.....this guys a top level rider clearly..

His comments are all over the shop and don't really make any sense..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I was thinking that was some test ride myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s entitled to his opinion, although he’s making some big statements, those who’ve test ridden the bike can comment, the 44 teeth review mentioned the difference suspension settings make on the gen4 and some buzzing through the bars, although his views on the lack of torque don’t seem consistent with what others have said. I have to say all the gen4 models seem to offer a huge amount for the money v the competition and are only a few hundred quid more than what everyone was paying for the gen3 when it came out.

He?s entitled to his opinion, although he?s making some big statements, those who?ve test ridden the bike can comment, the 44 teeth review mentioned the difference suspension settings make on the gen4 and some buzzing through the bars, although his views on the lack of torque don?t seem consistent with what others have said. I have to say all the gen4 models seem to offer a huge amount for the money v the competition and are only a few hundred quid more than what everyone was paying for the gen3 when it came out.

I don?t think there?s any question that it?s the best value and spec sports bike that you can buy at the minute (or not buy [emoji23])
It?s the first negative review I?ve seen on it

R1 owner writes negative review about the new s1000rr on a r1 forum. Shock horror. Whatever next?

One of the R1 lads posted this up after his recent test ride.
No real surprises that a rider of another bike would have a negative view.

Sounds like he also didn't know how the blipper works, its not the same to the R1, so there was assumptions made leading to disappointment.

Any reviews I?ve seen have been very positive regarding the blipper on the new bike

Guys i took out the s1000rr sport today.
Gave it some stick and put it through its paces.
I cant make my mind up on it. Its got some really good points as well as some horrid points.
I will list what i found as thruthful and honest opinions rather than the guys on youtube who say every new bike is the best thing since sliced bread.
Stupidly i watched all reviews of this bike so was real hyped up and i thought i knew what it was going to be like before i rode it. But i was wrong.
Firsrly the looks. We all like a good looking bike but the sport looks dull and actually in the flesh the gen3 looks better in my opinion even with its wonky lights.
My first impressions riding it were oh great. At last there is a bike with a smooth yet responsive throttle thats easy to use. Its very easy to pull away and monouvure.
Then i thought god what is that tapping noise coming from the engine. Its like the valves are hitting from 2 to 3k revs. Very annoying when cruising in traffic.
Then i gave it some beans. Anticipating this huge grunt thats advertised all over the web. Expecting it to grunt like the r1. Man what a dissapointment. The grunt is nowhere near like all the talk going about. Its basically a screamer. It doesnt really go untill youve got alot of revs on. Yes it is very fast up top. Every bit as fast as the rsv4 factory. But the engine is harsh, noisey and buzzes through the bars causing numb hands.
The brakes really annoy me. They have half a lever travel before they work. Just the same as the gsxr brakes do. But they do work quite well and i didnt have brake fade issues where i usially would on the road i went on.
The abs cut in a few times but it wasnt too bad. I could live with it unlike my yam abs which is bloody lethal.
The gearbox feels the same as the gen3 which was great with one exception. The blipper is crap. Yes i cant believe im saying it. The blipper didnt work half the time. Sometimes i just couldnt get it to change down.
I ended up stamping on the lever to get it to actually try and change. It was better at higher speeds but anything under 7000 i had to change manually.
The geometry i was so critical of prior to riding wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be.
The pros for that geometry is super easy changes of direction. No weight on wrists to change direction and comfy moving from lefy to right without forcing things.
But the bad sides are on bumpy roads you need a very good steering damper to save your ass. Plus on high lean angle i went over a slight hump in the road which gave me that horrid front end tuck feeling of which i dont get on other bikes over the same bit of road. I bet front end tucks are going to be how most of the crashes will happen on the s1000rr.
The suspension is good. Its definately revised as described. It doesnt seem to be dynamic at lean which is great for feel. And you change from dynamic to race and you notice a real change in how the bike rides.
The screen is very low. Not sure why but its lower than before.
At the end of the day i got straight on it and could ride it pretty quick so its a pretty good bike. Not all bikes are like that but when i jumped back on my r1 i was over the moon with the extra grunt i have. Fair enough my bike is flashed but the torque is way more from lower down and on the road i can use that torque everywhere.
The s1000rr wasnt alive untill 10k revs and you cant ride like that all the time on the road. Youd kill yourself.
You got to ride one to make up your own mind but i feel for all those who pre ordered one purely on the spec sheets coz its not what you think it is.
Ps the sport is 16700. The standard rr doesnt have many toys at all.

This has absolutely nothing to do with an R1 fanboy reviewing the S1000RR on an R1 forum. I?ve put 1050 kilometers on my S1000RR so far and absolutely NOTHING he said is true.

I think the power delivery comments are fairly reasonable tbh. The guy just doesn?t understand how the linear engine power can feel slower than the kick of the R1 but in reality is the opposite. One of the first things I thought when testing the bike was that people who are not going so fast will be underwhelmed and this guy sounds like a fast street rider who doesn?t quite get it, or he simply wants to feel a more aggressive and exciting delivery.

The gearbox/blipper comments are definitely bullshit as it doesn?t feel anything like the old bike. Everything about the new bike is super smooth so maybe he had a bad QS or something?

The bike almost feels like a halfway house to a powerful electric bike to me. There?s perfectly balanced torque available everywhere with no bumps and the engine is quite quiet so it?s like warp drive without all the drama of a normal petrol engine!!

Last edited:

Guys i took out the s1000rr sport today.
Gave it some stick and put it through its paces.
I cant make my mind up on it. Its got some really good points as well as some horrid points.
I will list what i found as thruthful and honest opinions rather than the guys on youtube who say every new bike is the best thing since sliced bread.
Stupidly i watched all reviews of this bike so was real hyped up and i thought i knew what it was going to be like before i rode it. But i was wrong.
Firsrly the looks. We all like a good looking bike but the sport looks dull and actually in the flesh the gen3 looks better in my opinion even with its wonky lights.
My first impressions riding it were oh great. At last there is a bike with a smooth yet responsive throttle thats easy to use. Its very easy to pull away and monouvure.
Then i thought god what is that tapping noise coming from the engine. Its like the valves are hitting from 2 to 3k revs. Very annoying when cruising in traffic.
Then i gave it some beans. Anticipating this huge grunt thats advertised all over the web. Expecting it to grunt like the r1. Man what a dissapointment. The grunt is nowhere near like all the talk going about. Its basically a screamer. It doesnt really go untill youve got alot of revs on. Yes it is very fast up top. Every bit as fast as the rsv4 factory. But the engine is harsh, noisey and buzzes through the bars causing numb hands.
The brakes really annoy me. They have half a lever travel before they work. Just the same as the gsxr brakes do. But they do work quite well and i didnt have brake fade issues where i usially would on the road i went on.
The abs cut in a few times but it wasnt too bad. I could live with it unlike my yam abs which is bloody lethal.
The gearbox feels the same as the gen3 which was great with one exception. The blipper is crap. Yes i cant believe im saying it. The blipper didnt work half the time. Sometimes i just couldnt get it to change down.
I ended up stamping on the lever to get it to actually try and change. It was better at higher speeds but anything under 7000 i had to change manually.
The geometry i was so critical of prior to riding wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be.
The pros for that geometry is super easy changes of direction. No weight on wrists to change direction and comfy moving from lefy to right without forcing things.
But the bad sides are on bumpy roads you need a very good steering damper to save your ass. Plus on high lean angle i went over a slight hump in the road which gave me that horrid front end tuck feeling of which i dont get on other bikes over the same bit of road. I bet front end tucks are going to be how most of the crashes will happen on the s1000rr.
The suspension is good. Its definately revised as described. It doesnt seem to be dynamic at lean which is great for feel. And you change from dynamic to race and you notice a real change in how the bike rides.
The screen is very low. Not sure why but its lower than before.
At the end of the day i got straight on it and could ride it pretty quick so its a pretty good bike. Not all bikes are like that but when i jumped back on my r1 i was over the moon with the extra grunt i have. Fair enough my bike is flashed but the torque is way more from lower down and on the road i can use that torque everywhere.
The s1000rr wasnt alive untill 10k revs and you cant ride like that all the time on the road. Youd kill yourself.
You got to ride one to make up your own mind but i feel for all those who pre ordered one purely on the spec sheets coz its not what you think it is.
Ps the sport is 16700. The standard rr doesnt have many toys at all.

Did this chap have a Gen 3 RR prior to the R1?

Reading the bit about genoretry criticisms and steering dampers reminds me of a former member on here who kept banging on about the gen 4?s geometry being all wrong lol. This guy was of the opinion he could determine whether the bike would handle well without even riding it

- Oli

Last edited:
Did this chap have a Gen 3 RR prior to the R1?

Reading the bit about genoretry criticisms and steering dampers reminds me of a former member on here who kept banging on about the gen 4?s geometry being all wrong lol

- Oli

I?m not sure mate. It sounds a bit like he did

I think the power delivery comments are fairly reasonable tbh. The guy just doesn?t understand how the linear engine power can feel slower than the kick of the R1 but in reality is the opposite. One of the first things I thought when testing the bike was that people who are not going so fast will be underwhelmed and this guy sounds like a fast street rider who doesn?t quite get it, or he simply wants to feel a more aggressive and exciting delivery.

This was my reading of his comments, R1 crossplane, big bang or V2 are going to deliver torque and shove without really trying. But it doesn't make it faster.

Also chuckled at the throttle praise, friend of mine spent a lot of money on mapping to sort his R1M on cracking the throttle. Something the RR has done out of the box for years.

- Alex

Back