Gen 4 test ride feedback?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a good few hours on the M Sport today as a test ride today. My thoughts? What a machine.

The bike had 1003 miles on it and had been de-restricted.

Issues over finding neutral? Nope. Not a problem. Certainly no worse than my ‘16 RR.

Auto-blipper/quickshifter is unbelievably smooth. A big leap forward on the Gen 3, and the Gen 3 was pretty good in this respect.

People who have said there is no low down grunt... b*llox. It’s delivery of power/torque is totally different to anything I’ve ever ridden. It’s almost electric bike like. So smooth, and less raucous than the Gen 3 but unbelievably quick. You only have to glance at the speedo to realise how much power it has. Amazing power beyond 8000rpm. A shorty can will put the icing on the cake.

It turns telepathically. It feels ridiculously light and it feels fantastic in the corners. I’m no Marc Marquez by any stretch but this was so confidence inspiring I felt quicker. Everywhere.

That dash. Fantastic. Clear. So much information. Add in turn by turn nav, phone connection and music (not sure I’ll use this) and it’s very impressive. Best dash on the superbike market IMO.

Suspension is nothing short of brilliant. Comfortable in rain & road and even dynamic, awe inspiring in race mode. I didn’t even touch Race Pro. I can’t see the need to on the road, it’s so well sorted.

The clutch takes some getting use to on pull away. After an hour, I noticed it less.

Only negative? That M Seat. Chr*st it’s hard. Didn’t feel too bad initially. Numb bum syndrome after an hour. That’s going to have to be changed when my eventually comes. I tour on my ‘16 RR and it’s seat felt like a couch when I got back on it after the M. I couldn’t tour with the M seat. Ever.

All in all, I’m blown away. Can’t wait for mine to be delivered. Eventually.

Had a good few hours on the M Sport today as a test ride today. My thoughts? What a machine.

The bike had 1003 miles on it and had been de-restricted.

Issues over finding neutral? Nope. Not a problem. Certainly no worse than my ‘16 RR.

Auto-blipper/quickshifter is unbelievably smooth. A big leap forward on the Gen 3, and the Gen 3 was pretty good in this respect.

People who have said there is no low down grunt... b*llox. It’s delivery of power/torque is totally different to anything I’ve ever ridden. It’s almost electric bike like. So smooth, and less raucous than the Gen 3 but unbelievably quick. You only have to glance at the speedo to realise how much power it has. Amazing power beyond 8000rpm. A shorty can will put the icing on the cake.

It turns telepathically. It feels ridiculously light and it feels fantastic in the corners. I’m no Marc Marquez by any stretch but this was so confidence inspiring I felt quicker. Everywhere.

That dash. Fantastic. Clear. So much information. Add in turn by turn nav, phone connection and music (not sure I’ll use this) and it’s very impressive. Best dash on the superbike market IMO.

Suspension is nothing short of brilliant. Comfortable in rain & road and even dynamic, awe inspiring in race mode. I didn’t even touch Race Pro. I can’t see the need to on the road, it’s so well sorted.

The clutch takes some getting use to on pull away. After an hour, I noticed it less.

Only negative? That M Seat. Chr*st it’s hard. Didn’t feel too bad initially. Numb bum syndrome after an hour. That’s going to have to be changed when my eventually comes. I tour on my ‘16 RR and it’s seat felt like a couch when I got back on it after the M. I couldn’t tour with the M seat. Ever.

All in all, I’m blown away. Can’t wait for mine to be delivered. Eventually.
Told you so :D

Had a 2 and a half hour 100 mile test of the red one today, not bad, very similar to my gen1 really - some extra nice bits (dash is intersting but a bit distracting) other bits that mine doesn't have (blipper etc, shame).
fuel consumption seems about the same.
front brake not as sharp as mine - rear equally shite (possibly slightly better)
clutch was a bit grabby, throttle a bit softer than my QA one.
comfort pretty good particularly seat - not so much buzz though the bars or wrist ache (but not as good as the gillles I've just fitted).
gearbox similar - neutral not that easy at standstill. blipper and QS very good.
didn't adjust the suspension - but not noticeably better than my road set up.
general handling pretty good (like all RRs I've ridden).
not quite as torquey as I hoped - bit better low down than mine (full system and map) but didn't seem so wheelie prone.
tried all the modes but probably 95% in race (I normally run slick).
not keen on red bikes so probably won't be getting one, yet, but really, on Kentish back roads it's no faster than the original.
But great bike nonetheless.
oh makes a nice noise when the shiftcam kicks in at 8000!

Last edited:
I had a test ride on the 19 m/sport in race mode, the seat is shite after 50mls I had a numb arse, the steering is so quick compared to my 15, the engine spins up much quicker. the clutch was nearly all the way out before it bit. the riding postion and bars were very good.the brakes were good,the qs on down shifts didn't work most of the time,not good, the roads were very busy at the time of the road test so couldn't give it to much welly but overall its way better than the gen 3 they only offered me 8000k for mine with only 7500miles so I will not be changing anytime soon,the gen 4 is not 12000k better

Gen 4 Test Ride

This past weekend I managed to test ride a S1000RR Sport for a full morning courtesy of Lind Motorrad.

EFC71A9A-499F-4CDE-B67C-DA956BF009DA.jpg

B696B0BA-B0CA-40AE-97FD-D2FBFCB6CAE8.jpg

First impressions are the riding position is noticeably different to the previous model. The clip-ons are wider and flatter, which is good in terms of providing leverage on the bike. The OEM rearsets feel as if they are mounted slightly higher; the seat is very firm and the overall ride height has been increased. The fuel tank is taller and slimmer so fitting Stompgrips or similar will prove useful. Despite all this you feel as if you are sat more ?in? the new RR as opposed to on top of it when compared to the Gen 3?s riding position. Steering wise the bike is light and considerably more nimble and it turns with greater ease and accuracy. From entry to exit it just holds a line through a corner so much better. You can really feel the reduction in weight and it makes the previous model, even with lightweight wheels, feel lethargic and heavy.

The new Hayes calipers are extremely good. Initial application feels very different to the previous OEM Brembo calipers. They have a much softer initial bite and then build strongly which may appeal to some.

The latest generation DDC has been improved and front end feel is much better despite no changes to preload or damping. In ROAD and DYNAMIC modes it feels soft, yet compliant, and soaks up bumps well. In RACE mode the ride is noticeably firmer. Coupled with the fact that the new chassis is nowhere near as stiff as the previous RR it should make the bike much easier to set up for fast track use.

The new electronics package is complex. The previous model was pretty simple in comparison. This is in no way a criticism, but the Gen 4 has significantly more levels of adjustment on offer. Wheelie Control and DTC are now separated and engine braking can now be managed independently via the dash. Similarly you can adjust the engine in terms of throttle response. It is certainly going to take a few days on track to really understand the nuances of the electronics package and it?s parameters. The system, is however, easily navigable but there are a plethora of menus and sub-menus which will take a bit of time to get used to and thoroughly reading the Owner?s Manual is going to be a must.

3500B9D2-1B0D-4FC9-9A09-5641011DABC2.jpg

0248F4AB-2350-4405-860E-33BD0DD61AE5.jpg

The new 6.5? TFT screen is brilliant. There are displays to suit all riding needs and they range from the simple race focussed option with large central rev counter to versions which almost have too much information and appear busy. It?s crisp, bright and clear and makes the Gen 3?s dash look and feel considerably dated.

The engine is hugely different. The last model had to be revved, with most of the power higher up the rev range. Power delivery on the Gen 4 is much more linear and tractable and throttle response is excellent. Vibrations through the bars are certainly noticeable at lower revs and this may prove a frustration for road riders. Considering mine will be converted into a track bike it?s not an issue. The ShiftCam technology is clearly doing something extremely clever, even if you can?t feel it, as between 4,000-8,000 rpm the midrange pull is much improved. The old model feels fast when you open the throttle but this one has a calmness about it despite the relentless acceleration. It is deceptively fast and smooth. I would go so far as saying the previous model is perhaps more entertaining to ride but for chasing lap times this one will be easier to ride fast on track. On the road you are never going to get anywhere close to using the full rev range but on track this bike will be an absolute weapon.

Gearing for the road is fine and as standard it comes fitted with 17/45 sprockets. The Shift Assist feels very similar to the previous model if more refined. Changing up and down is slick but finding N is a challenge. I?m fairly certain BMW have designed the gearbox without it as at times it was impossible to find!

Overall the new bike is superb and I can?t wait to get one on track. Having ordered my M Sport back in July 2018 I definitely feel I?ve made the right decision and that the long wait will ultimately be worth it.

Good to see you've been able to try it out Rys. The delays are unfortunate but I'm stil very sure it's the right choice.

Having quickly skimmed Ryan's post, the thing that jumped out at me is if you're getting a 2019 RR or any other BMW with the TFT screen, ffs get a screen protector - either the BMW one or a ?9 speedo angels one from Nippy Normans

Having quickly skimmed Ryan's post, the thing that jumped out at me is if you're getting a 2019 RR or any other BMW with the TFT screen, ffs get a screen protector - either the BMW one or a ?9 speedo angels one from Nippy Normans

The screen does look well splattered - i wasn't sure if that was just Rys reaction to the bike?

Screen Protector

A screen protector is an absolute must. For those that want one from BMW the part # is 77522462777.

Thought I'd add to this thread as i finally got to take out the new RR from Bahnstormer Maidenhead.

Quick bit about my own riding experience which may help others who are a similar ability. Motocross background but I've been roading on the road the last 5 years. Owned a Street Triple, then had a Daytona 675 from new up (3 years) then bought my 2017 S1000RR last October. I was mainly a road rider, not particularly bonkers on the road (Steady pace?) But started doing more track days at the start of 2018. Overall I am an average rider and by no means an expert.

Road test:

The bike was a 2019 Sport with the performance pack. Which I believe has forged wheels and a lightweight battery. The bike also had Michelin RS+ tyres fitted which was nice as i have the same on my 17 RR. A buddy of mine kept banging on about the M Sport is the only one you should try but I was more than happy to try the Sport. (Plus i love it in red)

Roads around Maidenhead are a mixture of A and B roads, some good twisties, nothing too flat out but it's a good test route if you are looking at the RR mainly as road bike.

Good (Great points)
- The engine, what a gem. Everyone kept banging on about the shiftcam tech and now i understand why, hit 9K and it's just off. But it is smooth with it, I was expecting more aggression similar to the old days of VTEC engines. Even so it still lifted it's head a few times to show it meant business. Bottom end has a good amount of grunt it pulls nicely..felt similar to my 17.
- Size, as people have said before it's small, but small if you compare it to the outgoing S1000RR. It is a lot slimmer and does have a 600 feel but hasn't lost that overall S1000RR feel if that makes sense. I really liked the overall size of the bike.
- Riding position, more upright i'd say than the outgoing S1000RR, definitely more wind blast. Bars are wider which is nice and the rear sets offered what i thought was a more relaxed position. You do also sit into the bike more which is something i really like.
- Steering/handling, yeah this thing steers alright. Very quick and actually took some adjustment to get used to it, the quick reaction reminded me a bit like the Daytona (which is no bad thing). Aided with the RS+ tyres it really does tip in and go where you want. Hooks up lovely out of corners, holds a line well even on crappy bumpy roads. (i rode in dynamic most of the time)
- Looks, I love them and really like it in the red. Hope no one hates me when i say it looks less fussy than the M sport. Rear, looks a bit unfinished IMO but i get why it is designed that way.
- Gadgets, shifter and blipper are seamless, just such a nice action and i was wishing my bike felt as smooth on the ride home. LCD display and user setup were great, so much more intuitive than the old system. I would have loved more time to set it up to my preferences but overall and initial impressions were a massive marked improvement. Only one caveat and this probably goes with a lot of LCD displays, i did find myself cycling through the system (displays on the road) and realised i was getting distracted somewhat haha.
- Brakes, really liked them. Coming from an MTB background as well i knew who Hayes were and was surprised when i first saw they were working with BMW. But the brakes work, really nice modulation and definitely have a nice progressive bite. Personally i prefer more initial bite but that is an easy fix with pad change i guess.

Bad(ish) points

- Where is Neutral? I thought my bike was bad but this was another league. I am not sure if some bikes are worse than others?
- I thought the bike had more vibration over a broader range than the outgoing S1000RR and i am wondering if this is to do with the bars being one piece with the yoke? I might be wrong in saying this but i preferred the bottom end of my bike.
- Seat, what happened to the nice comfy seats of the old RR. It seemed to dig into the back of my legs and after 45 mins it was getting annoying
- Even though i liked the bar width i wasn't keen on being as upright. (Personal preference)

Conclusion, i would have one without hesitation. It has all the hallmarks of a great road bike, just like the outgoing bike. And i can only imagine it would be a weapon on track, almost flattering to the rider. I was tempted to put a deposit down...not going to lie there. And if i was going to get one it would be for the M-Sport because even though i am not a huge fan on the colour scheme. But it does offer more value for money...if 20k these days is good value?

However and this relates to my own position, i have only had my S1000RR for 11 months and still utterly love it. On the ride home i had the same smile it gives me every time I ride it and that sealed it for me. I have learnt more on that bike this year than the last 4 years of riding. And my RR is going to spend more time on track than the road. So, honestly. No I cannot warrant 20K on the new S1000RR just for track use and the occasional road ride. But I encourage anyone in a different position to go ride one and buy it. It is another stormer from BMW.

In a few years when they drop in price I will buy one. Oh, and while i was there i took out the R Nine T....what a hoot that thing is, anyone else tried one?

IMG-5972.jpgIMG-5973.jpg

Thought I'd add to this thread as i finally got to take out the new RR from Bahnstormer Maidenhead.

Quick bit about my own riding experience which may help others who are a similar ability. Motocross background but I've been roading on the road the last 5 years. Owned a Street Triple, then had a Daytona 675 from new up (3 years) then bought my 2017 S1000RR last October. I was mainly a road rider, not particularly bonkers on the road (Steady pace?) But started doing more track days at the start of 2018. Overall I am an average rider and by no means an expert.

Road test:

The bike was a 2019 Sport with the performance pack. Which I believe has forged wheels and a lightweight battery. The bike also had Michelin RS+ tyres fitted which was nice as i have the same on my 17 RR. A buddy of mine kept banging on about the M Sport is the only one you should try but I was more than happy to try the Sport. (Plus i love it in red)

Roads around Maidenhead are a mixture of A and B roads, some good twisties, nothing too flat out but it's a good test route if you are looking at the RR mainly as road bike.

Good (Great points)
- The engine, what a gem. Everyone kept banging on about the shiftcam tech and now i understand why, hit 9K and it's just off. But it is smooth with it, I was expecting more aggression similar to the old days of VTEC engines. Even so it still lifted it's head a few times to show it meant business. Bottom end has a good amount of grunt it pulls nicely..felt similar to my 17.
- Size, as people have said before it's small, but small if you compare it to the outgoing S1000RR. It is a lot slimmer and does have a 600 feel but hasn't lost that overall S1000RR feel if that makes sense. I really liked the overall size of the bike.
- Riding position, more upright i'd say than the outgoing S1000RR, definitely more wind blast. Bars are wider which is nice and the rear sets offered what i thought was a more relaxed position. You do also sit into the bike more which is something i really like.
- Steering/handling, yeah this thing steers alright. Very quick and actually took some adjustment to get used to it, the quick reaction reminded me a bit like the Daytona (which is no bad thing). Aided with the RS+ tyres it really does tip in and go where you want. Hooks up lovely out of corners, holds a line well even on crappy bumpy roads. (i rode in dynamic most of the time)
- Looks, I love them and really like it in the red. Hope no one hates me when i say it looks less fussy than the M sport. Rear, looks a bit unfinished IMO but i get why it is designed that way.
- Gadgets, shifter and blipper are seamless, just such a nice action and i was wishing my bike felt as smooth on the ride home. LCD display and user setup were great, so much more intuitive than the old system. I would have loved more time to set it up to my preferences but overall and initial impressions were a massive marked improvement. Only one caveat and this probably goes with a lot of LCD displays, i did find myself cycling through the system (displays on the road) and realised i was getting distracted somewhat haha.
- Brakes, really liked them. Coming from an MTB background as well i knew who Hayes were and was surprised when i first saw they were working with BMW. But the brakes work, really nice modulation and definitely have a nice progressive bite. Personally i prefer more initial bite but that is an easy fix with pad change i guess.

Bad(ish) points

- Where is Neutral? I thought my bike was bad but this was another league. I am not sure if some bikes are worse than others?
- I thought the bike had more vibration over a broader range than the outgoing S1000RR and i am wondering if this is to do with the bars being one piece with the yoke? I might be wrong in saying this but i preferred the bottom end of my bike.
- Seat, what happened to the nice comfy seats of the old RR. It seemed to dig into the back of my legs and after 45 mins it was getting annoying
- Even though i liked the bar width i wasn't keen on being as upright. (Personal preference)

Conclusion, i would have one without hesitation. It has all the hallmarks of a great road bike, just like the outgoing bike. And i can only imagine it would be a weapon on track, almost flattering to the rider. I was tempted to put a deposit down...not going to lie there. And if i was going to get one it would be for the M-Sport because even though i am not a huge fan on the colour scheme. But it does offer more value for money...if 20k these days is good value?

However and this relates to my own position, i have only had my S1000RR for 11 months and still utterly love it. On the ride home i had the same smile it gives me every time I ride it and that sealed it for me. I have learnt more on that bike this year than the last 4 years of riding. And my RR is going to spend more time on track than the road. So, honestly. No I cannot warrant 20K on the new S1000RR just for track use and the occasional road ride. But I encourage anyone in a different position to go ride one and buy it. It is another stormer from BMW.

In a few years when they drop in price I will buy one. Oh, and while i was there i took out the R Nine T....what a hoot that thing is, anyone else tried one?

View attachment 4572View attachment 4573

I used your quote on the missus this morning, that I’m right to go for the M Sport because it represents great value for money. She laughed. I laughed. Even Alexa gave a little giggle.

Nige-K, haha! Obviously it doesn't work for others either. I pretty much said the same to my other half and she said no. And then proceeded to say it looks the same as your bike :confusion:

Good to see your thought. Did Bahnstormers have much to say about delivery dates? are they getting bikes through yet?? I'm happy with my loan GS for the winter but I must admit I'll be envious if people start posting about their new Gen 4!

Good to see your thought. Did Bahnstormers have much to say about delivery dates? are they getting bikes through yet?? I'm happy with my loan GS for the winter but I must admit I'll be envious if people start posting about their new Gen 4!
If I ordered one now it would March/April 2020. They said their aim was for the new season...i am guessing when they mean their aim they mean BMW in general. I think the only bikes they've had delivered were the ones people placed orders on before they even were released.

Back