Gen 4 test ride feedback?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monners

Reaction score
So does anyone have any feedback from test riding today?

I tried to book a test ride for Monday, seeing as they?ve had their demo ten days already. Only 300 odd miles on it so far, booked in for its service Wednesday, will be available for the weekend 😩
So, booked Monday 10th, then told bmw policy, 45 mins only
Rubbish in my eyes seeing as I?m spending 20k there

I tried to book a test ride for Monday, seeing as they?ve had their demo ten days already. Only 300 odd miles on it so far, booked in for its service Wednesday, will be available for the weekend [emoji30]
So, booked Monday 10th, then told bmw policy, 45 mins only
Rubbish in my eyes seeing as I?m spending 20k there
What are they going to do if you exceed 45mins allowance? Find and spank you?

I'm going in to Bahnstormers on Monday as well. Would be a shame if you lost your watch!

What are they going to do if you exceed 45mins allowance? Find and spank you?

That?s my theory too. The last bike I took from there I had for an afternoon
I?ve got a route planned where an hour or so will get me knowing either way. Fast, twisty, few bumps etc. Just might need a few passes for a clear run

Had a good hour or so on an s1000rr sport today from Barnstormer Maidenhead. I don’t have a comparison with the older generation s1000rr as Im coming from a triumph speed triple rs and Daytona 675r but have always wanted a go on the s1000rr to see what the hype was about and when they new one was released I thought it was stunning and booked a test ride as soon as it was available. The test ride consisted of a mixture of dual carriageways and lots of country roads. I was amazed at how flexible the engine was, very smooth at low revs and the power deliver is very progressive and controllable, it is seriously rapid as you would expect even though the limiter held back the big power. I immediately felt comfortable on it, I just love the riding position, it just feels right without being too crampt like the Daytona. Gear changes were effortless and smooth up and down with the quickshifter, however it doesn’t like to go in to neutral easily though. The ride quality for a sports bike is plush and it’s very compliant over bumps. I took certain corners a lot faster than I would do in both the triumphs, which says a lot for the confidence it gives you. I guess the only negative was the lack of decent sound from the engine. Now I need to own one!

Thanks for the feedback. Is the bike still being run in hence the limiter? if so I'll cancel my test and book for later in the week.

I had my test ride today. Used a Sport model with performance pack.
Really liked it - power, brakes, suspension, electronics - all great. I've heard some people complain of vibration through the bars, I didn't experience this. Finding neutral is finicky, as previously stated in this thread, but not a big issue.

I did experience one problem that only seemed to occur when in ROAD mode. When off throttle and coming down from high revs, there was a short surge at around 8k revs - it was as if I was accidentally blipping the throttle (I wasn't because I took my hand off and it still happened). This was annoying and could cause an accident if unlucky. i'd be interested to hear if anyone else gets this issue. I reported it to the dealer and he said he would look at it.

What a bike! The new S1000RR is immense. I reckon it will be the bike to beat in stock form at least. The engine is perfectly linear to the point you forget to change gear to start with. Its very very easy to ride fast. Felt like I was smashing it on my R6 it was so agile. It?s light as an R1 but much easier on the steering. The only negative was the brakes felt a bit poor but an MC fixes that on the Gen 3 so probably a cheap job.

Its so perfectly setup to go really fast easily that I reckon some people who are not going so fast will actually feel a bit underwhelmed since it's so well behaved.

I've spent thousands and many months getting my Gen 3 to where it is now and this new bike does it all straight out of the box. I'm seriously impressed!

Gen4BMW1.jpgGen4BMW.jpg

Some has been T-Boned on Vines' M-Sport this afternoon (my test ride was booked in for tomorrow morning). Apparently the rider is ok and the driver has accepted responsibility, but with the on in Melbourne our resident U-turn incident, it seems they're dropping like flies!

I definitely do not like the gap in front on the lights between the top & bottom fairing. It looks like the designer went off on long term sick and an apprentice finished it!

I have an 18 plate sport M-sport scheme just a slip on, tail tidy and seat cowl ..

Test rode the M-Sport (I have one on order) on Sunday ..

Good ....
the bike feels like my track bike as soon as you sit on it .. the seat is perfect, the suspension is reassuringly stiff but not uncomfortable on the road, the bike is tiny even compared to my 18 plate, it is so easy to ride, the gearbox is night and day better than my 18 .. the bottom and mid range the bike is a pussycat .. the bars are wide ... motor spins up quickly .. super smooth .. I did not have time to check wheelie control ...

Bad,
The clutch on the bike I rode was juddering ... at 9k on, the buzz from the bars is quite severe all the way to the red line, it did not feel as quick as my current bike .. it was in race mode but I did not check the other settings ..the bike had 1200 miles on the clock ..
It was a bit wet when I rode it ..
I ordered mine in March .. initially I was told July delivery .. now it?s October !!! They wanted me to give them my current bike in March !! Glad I didn?t .. I?d have had nothing to ride all summer ...

Sadly I think I?ll cancel my order and wait until the new year and have a 20 plate !
I really loved the bike and want one now !!! But it?s too far away

In conclusion the bike is amazing .. awesome value for money, especially the m-sport ..

I've just got back from a quick ride on a Sport.I felt at home as soon as I accelerated away.The first thing I noticed was the sheer effortlessness(is that a word?)to turn the bike and it's ability to drop into a corner.Last part of a corner should be no problem anymore as it appears you can put it just where you want.Initially it was in Road mode which was impressive,though was holding the bike back a bit.Wheelies were kept non-existent or very brief.When I changed to race mode,the power delivery was superb and so smooth and the wheelie control was excellent,allowing a lift of about 6ins whilst not affecting acceleration( though I don't know how it was set-up).You don't notice the shiftcam or the variable intake trumpets when they change.Acceleration is seamless with no surprises apart from being relentless,just like the Panigale V4.There are absolutely no dips or peaks in throttle response.It is so smooth which does give the impression of being slower than the gen3(with full system etc)but a look at the speedo soon convinces you otherwise.
Biggest drawback on the road would be hanging onto your licence,though it is quite happy poodling along too.

The brakes may not be Brembo but I found them to be excellent.Vibration through the bars could annoy some people,as could the rattly engine(quiet engines don't make power-just ask Honda riders)!-easily cured with a full de-cat.Finding neutral was even worse than Gen1,2,3,and HP4.However,the gearbox was amazing,superslick and easy changes and the shifter/blipper was faultless.I loved the fact that down shifts can be made without closing the throttle-perfect when cruising but need to drop a gear for a quick overtake.
I also tried the heated grips but had to turn them off for fear of setting my gloves on fire!

It would have been nice to have the bike for longer so I could find some decent bends,unfortunately,having not pre-booked I knew someone would be waiting for a test ride on my return.

All in all,I now cannot wait for mine to arrive and have fallen out of love for my gen3.

MCN on the 12th will have a group test with the RSV4 1100 and V4S 1100...and from the chat with Michael at Donny it sounds like it does well ;)

What are you doing with gen3? It's a trackbike right?

Last trackday yesterday,so it will now probably go back to road trim and sell forks complete with ktech dds cartridges(which will fit gen1,2 and 3),ktech gp pro shock,bst wheels,power commander,arrow system,race fairings,pvm forged alloys,lightec rearsets,diamond rearsets,rad guards,carbonfibre frame and swingarm protectors etc. as absolutely nothing fits the new one!

Last edited:
MCN on the 12th will have a group test with the RSV4 1100 and V4S 1100...and from the chat with Michael at Donny it sounds like it does well ;)

I was talking to him at the Nurburgring on Saturday, he said it mullers the others.

Last trackday yesterday,so it will now probably go back to road trim and sell forks complete with ktech dds cartridges(which will fit gen1,2 and 3),ktech gp pro shock,bst wheels,power commander,arrow system,race fairings,pvm forged alloys,lightec rearsets,diamond rearsets,rad guards,carbonfibre frame and swingarm protectors etc. as absolutely nothing fits the new one!

surely bst and pc v will fit ?

Back