test ride s1000 RR M sport bike drop

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince1100

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
hi everyone , been lucky enough to take M sport out to day for a quick 40 minute test ride which was great.

Bad news , total plonker I know but did a slow (less than 1 mph) U turn on a sloping incline lost balance & dropped the bike.

Hardly any damage slight scratches on right side ,brake lever , bar end , scratches on right lens wing mirror bent peg & further slight scratches on muffler , fins .
They've hit me ?1000 excess bill as they say parts come over ?3514 to replace .

Think they've been over zealous , I know parts always expensive , but they put down main items mirror , muffler & front frame need replacing really ?.

Is this just my stupid fault for being idiot & dropping ( only ever dropped 1 bike ever) :dread: , & therefore just my fault , suck it up & get over it or can I challenge further ?
Wouldn't care have on order a S1000 RR sport with very same dealer.

What do we think ???

Its very easy to go well over that figure on a new bike with an insurance claim. To be fair you're lucky it's not more. If you'd marked bodywork and stuff as well it would shoot up. It's just the fact that they are replacing all the bits with scratches for new that might otherwise not be an issue on an older bike.

hi everyone , been lucky enough to take M sport out to day for a quick 40 minute test ride which was great.

Bad news , total plonker I know but did a slow (less than 1 mph) U turn on a sloping incline lost balance & dropped the bike.

Hardly any damage slight scratches on right side ,brake lever , bar end , scratches on right lens wing mirror bent peg & further slight scratches on muffler , fins .

Think they've been over zealous , I know parts always expensive , but they put down main items mirror , muffler & front frame need replacing really ….

Is this just my stupid fault for being idiot & dropping ( only ever dropped 1 bike ever) :dread: , & therefore just my fault , suck it up & get over it or can I challenge further ?

What do we think ???
I think you have got of lightly I would bet a standard can would be ?1000 almost, and the bike was brand new , I would not have liked the ride back thinking what am I going to say to the dealer .

Think they've been over zealous , I know parts always expensive , but they put down main items mirror , muffler & front frame need replacing really ….

What do we think ???

Gutted for you. Just chalk it down to experience and dont tell the missus ;).

Cough up the ?1k excess, the total bill is kinda irrelevant because it will be more than the ?1k you are on the hook for.

Its very easy to go well over that figure on a new bike with an insurance claim. To be fair you're lucky it's not more. If you'd marked bodywork and stuff as well it would shoot up. It's just the fact that they are replacing all the bits with scratches for new that might otherwise not be an issue on an older bike.

hi , l know what you mean but it was only an almost stationary drop , scratches on muffler would just polish out & claiming front frame replacement for a few scratches seemed harsh to say least , at end of day my fault so guess will just suck it up & move on , cheers

Here's a giggle to make you feel better. I was equally embarrassed at the Panigale 1299 launch demo at Silverstone after going down. We were frustrated at the CSS instructors going so slow as two of us genuinely wanted to buy one and wanted to test it harder. The pace was like a novice session and hardly warming the tyres so very frustrating. We started mucking around a bit taking silly lines to feel the bike out and letting each other past for some filming and I did the classic Panigale mid corner low side! My mate did one better and punted his bike into the gravel on the first corner at exactly the same time I did this. It turned out ok for Ducati since there was only a few engine cases and bars damaged and we both bought Panigale R! Still very embarrassing!!

Last edited:
Yeah , but was only muffler not whole exhaust ?220 ish but scratches would of polished out it was front frame replacement for couple of scratches for a drop ...2k that pushed up .......don't think warranted replacement .....lm idiot l know ...gutted but ha ho life goes on :peaceful:

Here's a giggle to make you feel better. I was equally embarrassed at the Panigale 1299 launch demo at Silverstone after going down. We were frustrated at the CSS instructors going so slow as two of us genuinely wanted to buy one and wanted to test it harder. The pace was like a novice session and hardly warming the tyres so very frustrating. We started mucking around a bit taking silly lines to feel the bike out and letting each other past for some filming and I did the classic Panigale mid corner low side! My mate did one better and punted his bike into the gravel on the first corner at exactly the same time I did this. It turned out ok for Ducati since there was only a few engine cases and bars damaged and we both bought Panigale R! Still very embarrassing!!

Why do you say it's classic? What contributed to low side? Too much lean, not enough heat in front?

It's a very common Panigale crash. The bike does mega lean angles but if you let off the throttle mid corner its really easy to wash out the front like this. They tend to understeer as well which is probably related. It really helps to put a tank extender on to shift your weight back and you really ride it off the rear wheel. I never had another crash like this after fitting the tank extender and all the race teams did similar things. It's very different to the S1000RR which felt like I was unicycling on the front wheel to begin with!

Last edited:
It's a very common Panigale crash. The bike does mega lean angles but if you let off the throttle mid corner its really easy to wash out the front like this. They tend to understeer as well which is probably related. It really helps to put a tank extender on to shift your weight back and you really ride it off the rear wheel. I never had another crash like this after fitting the tank extender and all the race teams did similar things. It's very different to the S1000RR which felt like I was unicycling on the front wheel to begin with!
Very interesting!

Why did you let off throttle there btw? You did enter quite wide, did you try to tighten your line on exit?

Last edited:
No real reason, I was just getting frustrated at the pace and not really concentrating. Completely my fault unfortunately! Looking at the vid again and thinking back; I think I was taken by surprise at the instructor slowing down so much and just decided to go around the outside.

Last edited:
Test Ride Crash

Is this just my stupid fault for being idiot & dropping ( only ever dropped 1 bike ever) :dread:, & therefore just my fault

Yes!

They've hit me ?1000 excess bill as they say parts come over ?3514 to replace.

Just accept it and move on. If your ever in doubt, just have a look at the cost of new OEM replacement parts and you will soon realise you got off very lightly.

So easily done bud, many of us have dropped bikes. You are definitely not a plonker., my mate stuck a demo GS straight through a hedge and I would class him as very fast safe rider both on road and track. Fortunately, no injuries to yourself.

Regarding the bill, I think it is a case of accept it and move on. Every part would have to be replaced, with new, even if a part has minimal damage.

For me, put it down to experience and enjoy your new RR.

I want an Indian meal after watching your vid!

Back