S1000RR Gen 4 Delivery Thread

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And people moaning about people moaning is getting boring too.

Folk don?t know other people?s situations and I think it?s beyond a joke now so folk have a right to complain about the whole situation. Having a moan on a public forum that?s discussing the situation is a way of venting off.

It?s not as if they?re moaning for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delivery Dates

The bottom line is that if you want one then unfortunately you are just going to have to put up with the delays, be patient and wait. There is very little point in getting emotive about it however frustrating it may be.

Doesn?t mean that we can?t discuss it on a forum though?

It?s probably the hottest topic on this forum at the present time

Delivery Dates

There?s nothing wrong with discussing it, but quite frankly I personally can?t be bothered worrying or getting frustrated about it. It is what it is. My deposit was placed in July last year and my bike will arrive when it gets here. I would much rather BMW sorted whatever the issue may be, rather than be subjected to endless warranty recalls in the first few months of ownership. In the meantime I will just collect parts ready for turning it into a track bike and read the reviews in the motorcycle press.

Everyone?s situation is different. I?m certainly not in the worst of them, having read the stories of some guys having their trade ins taken off them by dealers already but when you?ve got trips planned and we?re told dates etc it?s very frustrating.
There?s no point complaining to BMW about it as I?m sure they?re trying their best to resolve it so it just leaves places like this to vent that frustration.

I had accepted my bike wouldn?t be here until September, not that I was happy about it but I had accepted it. Now a letter has emerged that basically states they?ve no idea when anyone will get a bike. There?s instances of dealerships being told not to run their demo bikes because of the engine issues, so I?ve no idea if I?ll even get a test ride in a couple weeks time when I?m home, which will really determine what way I?m going to go.

Where was that Dave.. Dalkeith ?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It was Clark?s in Dundee Stuart.
Said the problem with delivery of the M was the carbon wheel supplier. Perhaps BMW should look into making themselves.
If anyone knows how to make cf wheels, you could make a killing here, there?s bound to be a YouTube video on it.
Dave

Mate am jealous not just because you've got the new bike. Its the fact its in your living room with your couch and a tin a beer! Get in... respect

Mate am jealous not just because you've got the new bike. Its the fact its in your living room with your couch and a tin a beer! Get in... respect

Hahah thanks mate. She’s moved to the garage now though :)

Good your still looking in now and again Davy...if you fancy a wee run give us a shout...we done Mallaig/Skye a few weeks ago... fantastic day out...me and my mate had an idea to head up to lewis...

Apologies for the hijack in advance !

Last edited:
It was Clark?s in Dundee Stuart.
Said the problem with delivery of the M was the carbon wheel supplier. Perhaps BMW should look into making themselves.
If anyone knows how to make cf wheels, you could make a killing here, there?s bound to be a YouTube video on it.
Dave
Jimmy Mac has had not bad service off them, their the closest dealer to him.... service dept seem fair.....

You used them at all ?

Nightmare is becoming reality. Most dealer machines in Germany have been recalled and there is one report of a customer machine being recalled as well.

I am still waiting on a response from BMW UK as to whether my engine number is affected. A recall is better than a seized engine at warp speed I suppose :p

Last edited:
Nightmare is becoming reality. Most dealer machines in Germany have been recalled and there is one report of a customer machine being recalled as well.

I am still waiting on a response from BMW UK as to whether my engine number is affected. A recall is better than a seized engine at warp speed I suppose :p

Hopefully yours will be ok, it does appear to be a supply chain quality control failure that has let BMW down on this new bike. I suppose it is a sign of the times when everyone outsources everything to keep the costs at a point the buying public find sustainable.

As has been said at least they identified it very early on and are doing the right thing by not putting bikes out in circulation.

Roll on 2020 lol.

As someone said before - the US forum is right - it's the 2020 RR...

The oil gallery thing is odd, the carbon wheels not being up to spec is much easier to believe. The oil galleries would be cast into the block wouldn't they and they would be made by BMW so it's not a supplier issue - unless they count their own engine dept as a supplier!?

Sour note taste to a new launch. I'd be unhappy if I was waiting, so glad I chose to stick with the Gen3 for at least 12 more months.

The stuff I read implied it was contracted to an outside party and their machine was (I thought it said milling?) making the part of the oil gallery too shallow. Fwiw it's normal practice to outsource the making of this stuff but it's usually done in secret. Ricardo for instance in the UK do many of the engines for the big manufacturers; Maclaren for instance.

I dont know enough about engine construction to say if the galleries are cast into the block but it could be that the parts are cast elsewhere under contract/licence and assembled by BMW at the plant? A lot of the 'dirty' manufacturing is done well away from 1st world developed countries where there are pollution regulations and air quality controls etc.

I dont believe the carbon wheels comment to be true, unless there is more to it than a comment that a dealer said so?

The stuff I read implied it was contracted to an outside party and their machine was (I thought it said milling?) making the part of the oil gallery too shallow. Fwiw it's normal practice to outsource the making of this stuff but it's usually done in secret. Ricardo for instance in the UK do many of the engines for the big manufacturers; Maclaren for instance.

Actually that link goes further. Ricardo designed the engine and McLaren decided license it and use it as the basis for the MP4-12C+++++++

And you could be right about the casting but I'd expect it was done in E. Europe at most.

Very surprised and disappointed in them if its true.

Hicky's overheating SBK engine was a sad sight. He said over 11k rpm it pushed out water...I wondered if the waterpump was spinning too fast (different internals driving it differently to stock). But maybe the oil galleries thing is closer to the mark.

- Alex

Back