When to change brake pads

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
Is there life in these pads, or do I want to change them ?

IMG_20190528_223624.jpg

IMG_20190528_223422.jpg

I would, depends what you?re doing, if you?re doing trackdays, you want peace of mind, knowing it?s gonna stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always remove mine for a proper inspection however there doesn't appear to be loads of meat left on them from what I can see...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Brake Pads

I would personally change them; especially as you are doing a lot of trackdays. I would also get into the habit of checking them before and after each trackday, so you can monitor wear and replace them whenever necessary.

50% left on them, good for a couple of days just monitor them. Always have replacements ready to go.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

at least you can see where all your dust is coming from ;)

for me,i'd be taking them out at least to give a proper inspection,1 side deffo looks lower than the other(1 side of 1 caliper),with the amount of dust the pads are generating,take them out and give the pistons a giood clean at least.

at least you can see where all your dust is coming from ;)

for me,i'd be taking them out at least to give a proper inspection,1 side deffo looks lower than the other(1 side of 1 caliper),with the amount of dust the pads are generating,take them out and give the pistons a giood clean at least.

Do you think dust is coming from the pads ?

What are the pads you have in there? I've not experienced it with the BMW two piece pads to be honest but If they are not Brembos then be careful to change them before they are near the markers as most other brands tend to delaminate when very low which can trash your discs.

Last edited:
What are the pads you have in there? I've not experienced it with the BMW two piece pads to be honest but If they are not Brembos then be careful to change them before they are near the markers as most other brands tend to delaminate when very low which can trash your discs.

They are EBC GPFAX.

100%. That's what they do. Its brake dust and other dirt which has stuck due to the film you coated the wheels with.

Thank for advises guys.

Going to clean pistons and look at pads more closely.

Do you think dust is coming from the pads ?

you can see your pad pins,reataing clips covered in it,it happens.sbs do it,but tend to be darker colour although not as bad as that usually.give your pistons a good clean,but i'd deffo have a spare set with me as they aren't too far off and as mentioned,have a tendancy to break up when getting low like that

you can see your pad pins,reataing clips covered in it,it happens.sbs do it,but tend to be darker colour although not as bad as that usually.give your pistons a good clean,but i'd deffo have a spare set with me as they aren't too far off and as mentioned,have a tendancy to break up when getting low like that
Thank you for advise, all makes sense now.

Back