Repairs guesstimate?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS1000RR

Reaction score
So I unfortunately had an accident today, back end slid out 9n something with no chance to even think about recovery. Speed was only 20 but I dropped her hard on the right side.

Damage that I have noticed:

RH mirror,
RH indicator
All right side fairing
Right side engine cover totalled
Totally bent rearsets
Swingarm dented and scratched
Right side of pillion seat fairing scratched right up
Belly pan right hand side ground right down.
Front brake lever bent and smashed
Something not right with the rear brake, locked fully on.

Thankfully I am insured fully comp, any guesses on price? Mines a 2016 S1000RR in motorsport.

Very upset :(

Nightmare, sorry to hear that...nothing worse than binning your machine....

Do you mean how much to fix it up ?... if your fully comp either claim or don't..all in or nought, after all that's what the policy is for..

If your going to sort it yourself need to start picking thru the list...

I've seen swing arms for 150 quid on EB before Dave...

I might have a mirror but nothing else mate sorry..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's going to be a through insurance job I think, but I had guessed myself at about ?5 or 6k. I want it back like it was, brand new looking you know. Thankfully the lid and helmet sorted me out so all I have is a sore back.

That's a severe 20 mph dump..one of those ones I guess...

Kind of nick is your lid and leathers in ?

Last edited:
Oh mate, sorry to hear this. Physically, you ok? Plastic and metal can be replaced.

Do you mean what the price if written off, if so, have you looked at Autotrader, EBay, MCN for a similar bike to yours?

It's going to be a through insurance job I think, but I had guessed myself at about ?5 or 6k. I want it back like it was, brand new looking you know. Thankfully the lid and helmet sorted me out so all I have is a sore back.

Very sorry to hear this Dave, it can happen to the best of us, sounds like an insurance job to me, check if you took out NCB protection and any cover for your lid and leathers.

Dave, sorry to read that but glad you are ok. You might be surprised when you add up the bits if you can get them on ebay etc might be a lot less than your guesstimate. Quick look at the list I reckon ?2-?3k would be plenty assuming no mechanical damage beyond what you can see. Like stu has said, start a shopping list, plus a few on here might find a few parts around to help. We had something similar a few years ago with another member having to rebuild much of his bike and it worked out better than expected. Unfortunately all my spares are long gone.

Aaah well you guys have given me a bit of faith that it might not be as bad as expected. Mechanically, bar the back brake being locked on she's fine, I managed to coax her back home under her own power.

My kid has a nasty dent in the side, a Shoei, so it did it's job nicely, the leathers are nicely scraped up but plenty of leather left. I just hate claiming since the premium goes berserk! I've sent it off to my local Motorrad, who I trust, I just want it back as she was :(

Lids for the bin... what do you mean you sent it off to the dealer..already..or have I picked that up incorrectly ?

Sorry to read, if the repairs are more than 40% of the value it's likely a write off. The Swingarm or Frame would pretty much guarantee that.
If you avoid the insurers I think you could get the parts on eBay and have it back mint for a couple of grand. Insurance companies won't fit second hand parts in many cases.

Sorry to hear that. As a person who went through repair that included getting a new frame, your damage is not that bad.

I have OEM rearsets, RH mirror, RH indicator, front brake lever that I can sell you from 2016 model :)

Last edited:
Ooooh awesome! I shall be in touch depending on what they say to me! The lid is unfortunately destined for 1 place now, but it has lasted me 10 years

Lid owes you nothing... 5 years overdue for replacement on most manufacturers recs anyhow..

Sorry to hear of your off... it?s painful to see them damage, but you are alright bar some pain.

I have a few bits too from being hit a couple of years back on MY16. I have a SwingArm stock rearsets, and a host of other items too. Happy to help if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sorry to say but I reckon you've got a potential write off once you take into account labour. If it was me I would be buying it back from the insurance company as you can likely live with the swing arm dents and the other stuff is a fairly easy fix if you are handy with the spanners. Without meaning to sound like a vulture, let me know if it does come to this as I might be interested to use it as a spares bike if the price is good.

sorry to see this, if theres swingarm damage and engine casing i would sat there write it off. as soon as oils leaked and its been on its side running you dont know what other internal damage there may be. im guessing there be on the cautions side and write off. if the forks or frame has any marks there also look at write off. :(

So Motorrad have quoted ?10.4k to sort it out. Frame damaged and the engine case itself is knackered so would need internals swapping to a whole new case. Write off :( Such stupidly slow speed as well. I guess there is a value to having those frame slider.....

It's in the hands of the insurance now.

Wow...that blew even our worst estimates.

What's your thoughts now? Put the money into a Gen4? Or ask for a like for like replacement?

Back