Help - Bar End Insert Stripped

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2002sportevo

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
In need of some help...?.was changing the bar ends and torqueing up the new ones to the recommend torque of 66Nm but the insert has stripped - what's my options?

Had a look on Real OEM and it doesn't look like you can buy the insert?

In need of some help...?.was changing the bar ends and torqueing up the new ones to the recommend torque of 66Nm but the insert has stripped - what's my options?

Had a look on Real OEM and it doesn't look like you can buy the insert?

Check your torque wrench and re tap for a larger bolt. Could try a heli coil kit is they do one the right size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had another look at worked out the problem - the ones that Evotech have supplied have 10mm less thread engagement (using the OEM M12 x 50 bolt) - I literally had three threads engaging on the inside thread of the insert when the OEM bolt is in the new bar end - so I have e-mailed the some pics and will speak in the morning - looks like they have supplied the wrong ones as their stuff is usually spot on.....I never noticed this when fitting them as the thread on the insert doesn't start until a fair bit in.

In summary, with the original bar end there was 36mm thread exposed but with the Evotech one there was only 26mm which resulted in less than 5mm of thread engagement trying to take 66Nm of torque - wish I had paid more attention but as usual I was in a rush before another Skype business call - lesson learned...?..

I had exactly the same problem with after market bar ends. I cleaned the thread up with a tap and ordered slightly longer cap head bolts to compensate. All good now!

Back