Polycarbonate Helmets

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carsonr6

Banned
Reaction score
I've just bought a HJC I70 helmet which I really liked until one of my mates has started to put the fear into me by saying it?s a polycarbonate helmet so it?s going to be less safer than a fibre/composite helmet.
The I70 replaces the HJC IS-17 which has a Sharp 5 star rating and the new I70 is supposed to be a better helmet by all accounts.

My question is, would you guys wear a polycarbonate helmet or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poly is cheaper and behaves differently but as long as the manufacturer takes that into account with the other layers, EPS foam etc there's no reason to fear. Its all about the other layers and the quality of the poly.

HJC are a big manufacturer I cannot believe they would knowingly make a worse product.

The cheap, Chinese, helmets being peddled where a quick hammer strike sticks a hole in them cannot be compared to a big brand version.

Gold sticker on the back means its tested and fit for purpose.

- Alex

It?s a polycarbonate composite which seems to make a difference as well so I?m told.

It?s a polycarbonate composite which seems to make a difference as well so I?m told.

So its reinforced with fibre. Fairly standard for budget/mid market offerings from all manufacturers.

- Alex

There a lot of comments about helmets and different standards. As long as it?s got a CE and /or BSI kite mark it?s good to go in the UK.
Most helmets will fail a point load like a hammer blow or curb strike. Unless they have an internal web to distribute the impact load.
The top Arias score lower than some basic helmets but racers trust them....

The shell, be it poly, fibre or carbon is for initial wear and styling. The energy is absorbed by the inner layer. Most effective when uniformly distributed.

Like most PPE fit is the biggest effect but people go for styling and cost.

Bit difference with poly is it degrades over time in sunlight so it get brittle after a few years. Glass fibre is generally heavier for the same strength.

Google Euro Ncap for your car and you won?t take it off the drive!

I've just bought a HJC I70 helmet which I really liked until one of my mates has started to put the fear into me by saying it?s a polycarbonate helmet so it?s going to be less safer than a fibre/composite helmet.
The I70 replaces the HJC IS-17 which has a Sharp 5 star rating and the new I70 is supposed to be a better helmet by all accounts.

My question is, would you guys wear a polycarbonate helmet or not?

What I don't understand is why you're wearing a relatively cheap helmet when you have such an expensive collection of bikes? I'm sure it will be safe enough but with a premium helmet you get better developed aerodynamics, visor mechanism, venting etc as well, seems an odd choice to me...

What I don't understand is why you're wearing a relatively cheap helmet when you have such an expensive collection of bikes? I'm sure it will be safe enough but with a premium helmet you get better developed aerodynamics, visor mechanism, venting etc as well, seems an odd choice to me...

I?ve got an Arai RX7, Quantum, Nexx XR2, Suomy...I?ll not be stuck for a helmet.

I never actually noticed that the helmet was polycarbonate but to be honest, the market is flooded with good helmets and there?s no longer a need to spend north of ?500 to get a good quality lid.
There?s not many helmets that have a Sharp 5 star rating but the helmet that the I70 replaces does

I?ve got an Arai RX7, Quantum, Nexx XR2, Suomy...I?ll not be stuck for a helmet.

I never actually noticed that the helmet was polycarbonate but to be honest, the market is flooded with good helmets and there?s no longer a need to spend north of ?500 to get a good quality lid.
There?s not many helmets that have a Sharp 5 star rating but the helmet that the I70 replaces does

How many women have you got also 😄 😄 Just saying lol

Latest posts

Back