2015-17 Front Fork Service 2015 S1000RR DDC Suspension

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi guys, ideally I'd like to have the front DDC forks/shock serviced, but can't as the bike's in Spain. I was thinking of changing out the fork oil next time I'm at Almeria, has anyone done this,
and is it much different to regular USD ones?

Hi guys, ideally I'd like to have the front DDC forks/shock serviced, but can't as the bike's in Spain. I was thinking of changing out the fork oil next time I'm at Almeria, has anyone done this,
and is it much different to regular USD ones?
There is BMW shop not far from Almeria. You can always rent a van and drive it there.

If you are doing like for like then you need to know:
What is the std fork oil weight?
What is the air gap in mm?

- Alex

Thanks for replies, I think I'm more likely to ask either Pepe or Roger to do it at the track. Bike's done 8000 hard miles, and that fork oil should be changed every 2 years
to get the best from it. When I first bought the bike I had BMW dissemble and grease the shock linkage, as from factory there's no grease in there to speak of. There's not
much on youtube regarding the '15 RR, there was a Canadian Superbike racer called Marcel Irnie, who would film his new standard RR every season getting changed out to Superstock
spec. His videos helped me no end. Yea, was hoping one of you guys might have done the service, I'm going to Jerez later in the month:acne:, hopefully someone might know, and
I'll find out weight and oil amount before then. Thanks

Please tell me how the forks felt after the firmer spring and air gap, I'm going to do the same, take it to MCT, but in the meantime will hopefully just change oil this year. Did you leave the bike at MCT, or can you arrange
to have it done whilst you wait, d'you mind giving me an idea of cost too.

Please tell me how the forks felt after the firmer spring and air gap, I'm going to do the same, take it to MCT, but in the meantime will hopefully just change oil this year. Did you leave the bike at MCT, or can you arrange
to have it done whilst you wait, d'you mind giving me an idea of cost too.

The 10nm springs are softer than OE with 100mm being a bigger air gap so my front end feels softer which is what i wanted plus he machines the preload spacer so you have more adjustment. It cost me ?198 incl return postage.

Anyone know the oil weight? 5/7.5/10?

- Alex

I might be totally wrong here but aren't the stock electronic DDC cartridges a sealed unit meaning the oil doesn't have the same effect as a "normal" set up?

Thanks Gobert, I'll try to figure out what feel I'd like, then get in touch with MCT probably this autumn. Yea, there's little point taking out the
fork legs just for new oil, although that would be better than nothing. Cool, thanks.

Fork Oil

...there's little point taking out the fork legs just for new oil...

You?d be surprised at what difference fresh fork oil makes regardless of whether you are using DDC or a cartridge kit; especially after a season?s worth of trackdays.

Re: Fork Oil

RyS1000RR I can believe it, I might well just change oil and leave spring/spacer for later. It's not like I'm better than the bike. Funny, I was reminded of all this when I was
watching a 'bike world desmodecci' youtube vid, and thought, damn, bet my oil looks like that(BAD) HAha

Fork Oil

It?s not that onerous to remove the front forks and get the oil changed. It?s worth doing even if you are in no rush to change springs etc. I have my suspension serviced before the start of every season and you can feel the difference straight away. It?s extremely worthwhile especially if you are doing countless trackdays every year. The BMW fork oil service intervals are fine for bikes that spend all their time on the road, but they are largely irrelevant for track bikes.

As above ^. Change the oil and all of a sudden the dampening actually does something !

Back