Dunlop GP Racer D212 Treaded - Any Experience?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeps

Reaction score
I've got the above fitted to my gen1. Did 3 days at Almeria earlier this year and the rear was done but front had loads of meat left on it. Really nice wear across the front and rear and felt amazing. My pace isn't rapid but reasonable, was ding 1.56's at Almeria.

Fast forward to today at Donny I fitted the new rear hoping the get 2 rears to 1 front. I couldn't get the bike to feel as good as in Spain and played around with the pressures quite a bit but just couldn't get the feel right. The front didn't seem to wear very well and had quite a lot of rubber stuck to it maybe an inch either side of the centre line. The outer edges seemed OK though. Tyre guy there said the front has done too many heat cycles (I use warmers) with being on the 4th day.

Anyone got any opinions on this? Was hoping for a bit more life out of the front really but not sure if it's just in my head / me rather than the tyre being dead?

i was there today as well, the temps were a little all over the place. colder morning then warmed then cooled with the clouds. your front might have seen its best but as Dunlop say there tyres dont suffer from heat cycle issues as other do so not sure what the tyre guy was saying. ( i know hes very good though). how was the grip? my 212's normally look odd with pick up all year round in this country and i just ignore it. :). if the outer edges looked good i wouldn't worry too much.

A tech article from US National Distributor for DUNLOP motorcycle racing.

Wow thanks mate that's a great article.
Just to confirm on the front tyre, I put the warmers on in the morning and straight back in after each session. After 3 days at Almeria is was a few weeks in transit and in my garage, I did maybe 30 road miles. then to Donington today.

I'm wondering from that thread that maybe I should put the warmers on after each session but leave them unplugged until 20 minutes before I'm out on track to save prolonged heating? I wonder if the road miles I've done have killed it off slightly?

Will try and upload a couple of photos of the tyre.

i was there today as well, the temps were a little all over the place. colder morning then warmed then cooled with the clouds. your front might have seen its best but as Dunlop say there tyres dont suffer from heat cycle issues as other do so not sure what the tyre guy was saying. ( i know hes very good though). how was the grip? my 212's normally look odd with pick up all year round in this country and i just ignore it. :). if the outer edges looked good i wouldn't worry too much.

What were you riding mate?

I'm not completely convinced it's not just in my head because I couldn't quite get into a decent rhythm to be honest, and trying to blame the bike / tyre! I wouldn't really rate the guy at Holbeach as he did a pretty shitty job of fitting a set of tyres for me last year to be honest but he seemed massively confident that it was past its best so just wondered if that's what it was. I'm normally pretty good at getting my pressures decent but front end didn't feel like it did.

this is my dunlop kr106 slick from today and my 212 from the end of last season (october) at donny too. ive no issues myself with either. good grip and no slides. running mid fast group on a gen 1 s1000rr in carbon. my missis was on a gixer 750 in fast group and was having similar issues to you. she though the bike felt awful and kept asking if i had altered something over the winter. she was a few seconds off her best but when i followed her she looked ok. it was a strange day with the fog early on keeping the track cold until mid morning then later it cooled off under the clouds. lol, when i say hes good, ive also herd of damaged wheels but i was meaning he knows his pressures and hes a good price.lol

wum2UMy.jpg

RDMFua9.jpg

Your 212 looks similar to mine apart from the build up I've got on mine on the strips an inch either side of the centre line are much bigger. What site do you use for hosting your photos and I'll try to upload one?

You probably came past me at some point, bit out of my depth in the fast group today I think, although I wasn't the slowest overall.

Infact R25, can I pick your brains a bit more?!
Are you running standard gearing? What gears do you tend to carry around the circuit, and what kind of time is a normal lap for you? Couldn't make my mind up between 2nd & 3rd in a lot of places today which wasn't helping getting my head into it.

Infact R25, can I pick your brains a bit more?!
Are you running standard gearing? What gears do you tend to carry around the circuit, and what kind of time is a normal lap for you? Couldn't make my mind up between 2nd & 3rd in a lot of places today which wasn't helping getting my head into it.

i was doing 1.45's at best today a couple of my best but the oil down craner wasnt helping.lol. i run standard front and plus 3 on the rear. its a strange circuit for gearing imo. depending on weather conditions i use different gears for most of the corners. all the sharper bits its either 2nd or 3rd but depends how hard your pushing. for instance i started with 2nd through foggys and goddards then later in the day they went to 3rd. old hairpin started in 3rd then went to 4th later on. :) again my missis was doing the same, she came in asking on more than one occasion what gear to use where even though she knows. her best there on her 750 is high 1.40's

i was doing 1.45's at best today a couple of my best but the oil down craner wasnt helping.lol. i run standard front and plus 3 on the rear. its a strange circuit for gearing imo. depending on weather conditions i use different gears for most of the corners. all the sharper bits its either 2nd or 3rd but depends how hard your pushing. for instance i started with 2nd through foggys and goddards then later in the day they went to 3rd. old hairpin started in 3rd then went to 4th later on. :) again my missis was doing the same, she came in asking on more than one occasion what gear to use where even though she knows. her best there on her 750 is high 1.40's

Decent times mate. Best I managed today was a 1.52, was hoping to be below 1.50 but not to be.
Hard to gauge the gearing then, I've been doing most of the lap in 3rd, 2nd for Melbourne Loop & Goddards but could never find my preferred.

Just uploading a bit of onboard footage from the session before dinner so will post the youtube link up. Highlights so much about how early I'm braking and coming off the power and losing so much time. What you can't see is just how bad my body position and movement on the bike is!
I've got some better Brembo pads to go in for Cadwell in a few weeks so hoping that will give me a bit more confidence coming into corners.

Overall I think I'm completely over thinking the whole day, probably need to chill a bit more. My riding mate is just way better than me so I'm trying to push to be as good as him but just need to accept the talent isn't there!

yep, overthinking dosnt help much, just relax and be smooth. having a mate thats faster is a good thing imo it helps you try harder and keeps you pusing. its easy to just bimble around. ive a mate thats similar to yours and i need to be on my best game to beat him (and my missis for that matter.lol) my body position is also not good but this early in the season im just happy to be on track. wait till it warms a little more before you chase lap times.

Problem is he's about 8 seconds a lap quicker than me so a bit beyond following him and pushing a bit harder - for me anyways.
Yeah I'm glad to be out but was hoping after 4 days in Almeria in Feb and feeling good on the bike there I'd be able to trim some time from last October at Donny.

Thanks for your help mate, will post up my video in a bit be good to get some criticism.

lol, i think i was at the front on the right just as you lined up, my missis is at the front and i was just in front of her. its obviously hard to tell with the gearing but im genrally going one gear higher than you in a lot of places. start straight i get up to 5th, down to 3rd for first corner, upto 5th into the top of craner then down to 4th for the old hairpin. 3rd for McLeans and stay in 3rd until starkies then up to 5th. 3rd for foggys and then 4th before dropping to 2nd for melbourne, then up to 3rd on the little rise and 3rd for goddards. some times these alter depending on traffic. i find it smoother if i stay in slightly higher gears. my bloody gopro batts were flat so dont think i got any footage today. :(

Latest posts

Back