not charging

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike g

Reaction score
went to go out this morning and found battery low, turns out it's stopped charging!
thought oh probably reg rec ?35 for new one from M&P - took out the old one (not that easy) and checked it seems ok with the ohm meter.
better check the generator - inter winding resitance looks ok BUT same reading to earth - check wiring no shorts - bugger to get it untangled and throught the frame / loom. Anyway new one from M&P ?190 - turning out to be an expensive day.
haven't had the cover off the motor yet - but seems to be recommending new bolts and fancy sealant, tempted to reuse bolts and use some blue hylomar (timewise, although it looks like about ?30 for the BMW bolts).
Any recommendations on this front if you've done something similar?
Any one had the windings fail?
(mines 2010 with 33000miles on it)
bits should turn up Wednesday so hopefully be good for the weekend

you mean the genny cover? use same bolts no problems,as for gasket,you can get a o/e gasket,or just use liquid gasket sealant,it's all i use

Thanks, I've checked the bmw / dow corning sealant (?30) is grey silicone rtv (?3) so will use that and be gentle with the bolts!

anyone had this cover off? does much oil come out (on paddock stand) looks like the oil level is just about below bottom of casing? so not expecting much - just residual

no it should be fine,maybe lean it over a bit to be safe,but level shouldn't be that high

thanks i'll put some paper down and have a tub handy just in case

Update - all working lovely - went to chimay in july on the way back dies 100 mile short of Calais. Not charging (2000 mile later) - any way, stator has failed in the same way (top coil burnt out) - parts under warranty so new one fitted and all seems hunky dory (voltmeter on order to keep an eye on It). this time there had been some arcing going on in the connector to the reg rec, cleaned out ok bit original reg rec is on and double checked connection.
the connector on the first replacement stator was a bit iffy - looking back on it there is a plastic "ring" round the terminals which had detached (ok on new one and original) not sure if this might have contributed to the failure? - there was no sign of water ingress or corrosion.
If happens again might look at an RM stator (?280) rather than an Electrosport (star?) at ?190. BMW only supply whole unit ?800. West coast and Ricks speed shop both declined to rewind the original.
any one else suffered from this?

update,
got replacement from m+p no probs - but it's just failed after 2800 miles - i've fitted a voltmeter to keep an eye on things and it started playing up on the way back from spain - it got me home with a battery swop and is now all down to earth, so not charging at all - but was intermittent on the journey. seemed to start after the bike got warm in traffic (111 degrees!) - anyway going to try a preloved bmw next. will fix next week as the tyres are on limits after the trip.

Jesus!

My stator burned out at 66k, got a 2018 stator and an uprated reg/rec (FH020CA) from fleabay for less than £100 for both and fine again since.

Glad I was not tempted by the M&P shite!

FYI.
just had a look at the online parts; and generator is same part number for gen1 2 &3 RR and the R. XR has different number.
reg rec is same part number for all.
anyway have pre loved one i'm in the middle of fitting - so should be good to go (tempted to buy another spare just in case!)

Yep.

Not sure about the XR or a 2019 either. Just went for the newest I could find and looked for the lightest colour windings (less used).

Hope the new bits are all good.

With my replacement bits installed mine was giving 13.68v at tickover just for reference (burnt out one was 10.5v).

yep - mine was giving 14.4v until it wasn't - it took 3 days to fail completely - luckily the battery was still over 12v.

all working again 14.1 -14.2v at tickover and all revs (battery voltage .2v higher).
see how long this one lasts!

Back