Quick shifter getting stuck on downshifts

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
My quick shifter getting stuck on downshifts from 4 to 3 to 2. I press it up hard, but nothing happens, have to use clutch to shift. This happens occasionally but happens once or twice per lap.

Upshifts and downshifts from higher gears work perfectly fine. And it has been working for in past, only started to happen recently.

Any idea what could be causing it? Is there a way to recalibrate it?

Chain Slack
Clutch Lever / Position (even it moving in the wind)
Throttle not being shut

To recalibrate spend 10 seconds in each gear and clutch shift your way up.

Last edited:
Chain Slack
Throttle not being shut

Thank you. Chain is indeed my be slacking. I will check next time on track.

re: calibration
How do you spend 10seconds in high gears exactly ? does throttle need to be fully open ?

Easiest on a stand, just at idle, no throttle required. Goes without saying make sure it can't go anywhere on the stand.

Easiest on a stand, just at idle, no throttle required. Goes without saying make sure it can't go anywhere on the stand.

Do I require to reset quickshifter via GS-911 before doing that ? Or will doing that re-calibrate it anyway ?

Quickshifter Reset

Just follow the advice above to reset the quickshifter / shift assist. You don?t need a GS-911 to do it.

also make sure your clutch lever isnt slightly depressing the clutch switch. aftermarket levers can cause issues as well as what was said above the wind pressure on the lever can also cause this if theres no slackness in the switch movement.

not even sure you can reset it on the gs911? i've never seen an option for it (although,never looked either)

Hi, you don't actually need the GS-911. Bike goes into learning mode because the front wheel isn't rotating and the rear wheel is.... not found in any other circumstances other than on a dyno.

Chain Slack
Throttle not being shut

Is this chain slack okay ?

IMG_20190428_085736.jpg

IMG_20190428_085744.jpg

afaik its per Dave Moss's recommendation, but I might be wrong.

Measure it 45-50mm

- Alex

it's slightly loose to allow for shock travel.

Anyway, I did re-calibrate it a week ago and it seems like it was running fine today at Donny. I didnt have aforementioned issue today at all.

Still having a problem with quickshifter, this time on upshifts past 4th gear when on gas. Happens every lap.

I did recalibrate it couple of times, didn't help.

What helps to upshift into 5th is to back off a throttle a bit, then it shifts up without an issue.

Chain might be on a loose side, can this be a problem?

i assume it shifts with the clutch?
sounds like it could well be the clutch switch on the lever,it only takes a very slight movement of the lever to activate/deactivate the switch(higher speeds generally) which will stop the q/shifter working.try adjusting the lever,or to pin point it exactly,remove the switch,tape the little arms tight on the switch,either re-fit or tuck away somewhere and go try it,happens quite a lot,especially with aftermarket levers.

*this will disable launch control+pit lane limiter,and will also auto blip no matter what speed your doing* but it's good way to pin pint switch issues.

i assume it shifts with the clutch?
sounds like it could well be the clutch switch on the lever,it only takes a very slight movement of the lever to activate/deactivate the switch(higher speeds generally) which will stop the q/shifter working.try adjusting the lever,or to pin point it exactly,remove the switch,tape the little arms tight on the switch,either re-fit or tuck away somewhere and go try it,happens quite a lot,especially with aftermarket levers.

*this will disable launch control+pit lane limiter,and will also auto blip no matter what speed your doing* but it's good way to pin pint switch issues.

I do have HP4 clutch lever, will try to fix it somehow.

This gets very annoying, as at Starkey's straight I always need to blip the throttle to force it shift into 5th.

Back