RS2E V2019 ECU REMAP Review

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Admin
Reaction score
TL;DR - RS2E R Map for my 2017 RR is going very well...

I think it was Chocolatier that pointed me to RS2E part way through 2018. The option of Audible TC (for both giggles and better control) and a map from a WSBK experienced engineer seemed like a good way to move forwards.

I had the RapidBike Race and that is very, very capable, but with the warranty expiring and the bike being more and more track only I felt that an optimised map would be the best future for my bike + I like to experiment and report back.

Since Gary (Chocolatier) mentioned them, I spent some time looking into it. I had a lot of email communications with Robert and Rainer, the brothers that formed RS-squared-Engineering, who were very quick and helpful with their responses which helped build confidence.

Relevant parts of my bike spec at the time of change;
2017 Gen 3 Euro 4 w/7700miles
Akra Full System (Stainless Pipes, Ti Can)
Sprint P08 Filter
RapidBike Race - tuned by HM Racing to 192-194hp
16/43 Gearing
HP4-Race Throttle
No DDC
Ohlins NIX30 Cartriges 10Nm & TTX GP
R11 Bridgestones

Here's the feature list from RS2E...in post 2 we'll pick up the process of getting the ECU updated and then move on to initial impressions post my first test at Snetterton.

https://rs2e.de/en/services-prices/catalog-bmw-motorrad/
Map Options:
BM.S1.B.4.19 R version: optimized for stock engine with race exhaust system; fuel with ROZ ≥ 98 <---MINE
BM.S1.B.4.19S S version: optimized for stock engine with stock exhaust system; standard fuel can also be used, possibly lower performance via knock control

Features in brief:
Traction control via cylinder suppression (CUTs) ready to race mapping - best of many years of WSBK experience fast re-adjustment of traction control and wheelie control on varying environment conditions through rider modes improved acceleration based on optimized traction control action in each gear reduce risk of bike nervousness reduce propensity to wheelie ready for many customs which are usual on race bikes.

Available for model, modelyear
BMW HP4 (K42), MJ 2012-14, BMS-K ECU
BMW S1000RR (K46), MJ 2010-12, BMS-K ECU
BMW S1000RR (K46M?), MJ 2012-14, BMS-K ECU
BMW S1000RR (K46M?2), MJ 2015-16, BMS-X ECU
BMW S1000RR (K46M?3), MJ 2017+, BMS-MP ECU <---MINE

Screenshot 2019-04-20 at 15.13.11.jpg

Detailed description:
Rider Modes
*RAIN: optimized for wet racetracks and rain tires
*SPORT/ROAD: optimized for dry racetracks and slicks - low grip level
*RACE/DYNAMIC: optimized for dry racetracks and slicks - high grip level (whey control active)
*SLICK/DYNAMIC PRO: optimized for dry racetracks and slicks - high grip level (wheely control inactive)
USER: still available; not available after activation of RCK

Tractioncontrol (DTC) with cylinder supression (CUTs)
DTC +/- level switch is active in all rider modes!
Traction Control and Wheelie Control now operate via defined cylinder suppression
The TC/WC activation is audible to the rider
Faster traction control operation (compared to conventional throttle valve DTC)
VIDEO:

Gear dependent traction control (DTC)
Programming of a gear dependent traction control
Very intense action in 1st gear to prevent wheelies
Decreasing intensity by ratio difference to other gears for acceleration optimum

Wheelie control (not for BMS-K ECU)
Short cuts limit Wheelie (strength can be adjusted via the rider mode)
No Wheelie intervention in gears >= 4th to prevent torque reduction on bumpy straits
Rapid re-acceleration of the torque after the wheelie engagement prevents jerky torque increase when the front wheel puts
New in 2019 version: Individual programmable power/trottle limitation in gears 1/2/3 for easier handling with almost no wheelie possible (custom order necessary)
Remark: Wheelie control is deactivated in rider mode "SLICK"; activation possible with RCK or by customized ECU flash.

Injection & Ignition
Optimized torque curve for race exhaust systems and fuel >= 98 ROZ
In "S" Stock-variant for stock exhaust systems, standard fuel is possible, >=95 ROZ recommended.
Power increase from 3 to 7PS possible (depending on bike hardware)
Torque increase from 2 to 5Nm possible (depending on bike hardware)

Engine speed limiter
Programming a soft start of limiter action by cylinder blank out
Reduced risk of bike nervousness while reaching limiter speed
Slight Increase of engine speed limit, because "soft limiter" prevents from over-rev

Optimized engine brake
Fired config (injection continues) leads to a smoother first pickup during transfer from braking (0% throttle) to acceleration and a more stable behavior in fast corners

e-Gas (Race Map + Power Map S1000RR)
Ready for short twist grips ≥54? (not available for BMS-K ECU)
Programming of same E-GAS setup - according to twist grip and engine rpm - in all riding modes
same - race track optimized - throttle response in all riding modes
max. torque and power is also available in "RAIN" (max. 60% throttle in stock ECU)

Launch control (L-Con) and Pit Limiter
Activation and pre-set of Launch Control and Pit Limiter
Activation of more then 3 starts in sequal
Activation of launch control also in 2nd gear

Optimized Shift assistant (SASS), quick shifter
Faster upshifts (mainly in high rpm) through reduction of ignition cuts
More dynamic downshifts through increased throttle punch in low and mid rpm range
Increase of diagnostics tolerances to prevent safety shutdown during usage of race shifter (e.g. Lohmann shifter)

With the "R" version map the following components can be removed without faults or error messages after reprogramming:
Exhaust flaps and servos
O2 Sensors
knock control sensors
secondary air system
2017+: fuel tank venting valve including activated carbon filter

Last edited:
As noted, I decided to have the R version as I had the Akra system etc.
There were a few other options, the RCK unlock and a quick action throttle modification. I checked the box for both of these as well, despite having the HP4-Race throttle already.

I would be paying for the following from RS2E;
RS2E ECU Remap ?699
RCK Unlock (allowing me to use the RCK3 afterwards) ?167
e-Throttle modification for a shorter action ?64
Additionally I would have to source;
RCK3 (https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de), Item no.: 77538546642, ?467,02
Alpha Racing (7753A002A00) OBD1 to ODB2 adapter cable for RCK3 -> 2017 RR ?71
We're up to ?1500 to do the same...lets not show my other half that list!

You don't need the RCK3/unlock. If you do get the unlock, you need to calibrate the throttle when it all comes back. BMW, GS-911 or RCK3. The RCK3 gave me the option to finally kill off the DDC! warning on the dash as well as monitor my engine codes and adjust the TC and WC strategies going forwards.

Screenshot 2019-04-20 at 15.13.27.jpg

I boxed up the ECU and Throttle (I left it on the clip-on) and sent them to Germany. I used ParcelForce and a decent amount of insurance so it was about ?50 in shipping.
Whilst it was with them, Robert confirmed that the HP4-Race throttle was not as short as they would recommend. So I gave the final agreement to modify it.

Within 10 days I had it all back, KFM delivered the RCK3 and Alpha had sent the lead. Very smooth so far.

Getting up and running;
RS2E give you a double sided page of A4 with instructions to cover how to get ECU initialised for the first time and the RCK up and running if you opted for it. They also recommend running in RAIN mode to begin with.

ECU Calib: Key on, 10 seconds, off 30 seconds...key on.

Throttle Calib: Because mine was unlocked, !ENGINE appears until the throttle is calibrated, don't fret. In the RCK you simply clear the "adaptions" and then roll the throttle through it's laughably short range of movement and it goes away - also best to read then clear all the previous fault codes to start again too.

Next you need to teach the gear shift, now I had an issue here, my chain was lashing a lot (will provide a vid) on the stand and as it was track only I couldn't take it on the road to have load on it. So in the end I gave it to @Tim @ Lind and his team to perform the annual service and confirm the QS was synced.

The remark after the service from the techie was; "Well, that throttle is terrifying"...it was in RAIN mode...

Onwards to Snetterton.

Last edited:
RS2E R Version Map initial use:

Warm up completed, briefing done, it was time to find out how she goes.

The sighting laps gave me some hints of what was coming. The throttle was direct...like I've never experienced. Millimetre perfect is the game now, my inputs would have to be smooth and precise. Running slow laps a couple of times I accidentally caused a jerky/snatch as I picked up the throttle off the turn. Something to take care with and work on, I figured going at pace would improve it.

Now at this point I'd not ridden *my* bike since October, though I had spent 2 days on a Honda VFR800 a couple of weekends ago, but that was so inert to inputs that it was hardly 'practice'. If you're ever thinking about a VFR800, don't, the brakes take a year to decelerate and the throttle is a snatchy t**t at slow speeds - we're so spoilt on Beemers!

Back to Snetterton...the sighting laps finished couple of quicker laps...then the 40min wait to think about what had happened in that first session.

Next session, RAIN mode still, the throttle pick up was improving with practice and speed...and what a pick up it was. The engine was eager, straining at the leash (on the infield)...come on to the Bentley straight and boom...it was like a missile. What a weapon. All day it would take meters out of everything else, new R1's went backwards...other RR's got spanked too. Now admitedly you never know what the other riders were doing but it's definitely quicker. And the limiter, is much improved. It *powered* to the red line, the shift light blinked and bang the next gear was slotted with the reduced dwell time. This was the one area I'd had a few issues prior with the remap (high RPM shifts, feeling a little gutless over 12,000) but this was an area of huge improvement.

In the next session I switched to SPORT.

The throttle curve now ramps differently to the OEM map, its the same across the modes. A concave (rising rate) ramp instead of convex (OEM Slick). It felt natural and comfortable. Getting to 100% throttle was easy and quick.

There were no surprises whilst running. It felt good, they claim the map improves the bike's stability and I cannot argue with that. I am writing this an trying to think of negatives and honestly I'm out.

I guess one of my drivers was the Audible TC fun. And I couldn't really recollect hearing it. Turns out I was trying the TC on too low :eek: RS2E have recommended I use +3 instead of 0 :) Turns out they run RACE +3 in IDM. I've found it on one video but it's really subtle as it was which is actually the point. The Audible TC is individual cylinder suppression (ignition cut (EDIT: incorrect it's Fuel Cut)). It operates very fast which means the system can be smoother and more accurate, the HP4-Race using the RCK-Pro uses the same to improve drive. I think it works. But I'll turn it up to +5 on Monday when I am back at Snetterton...to get some better video...before reducing it again.

More to come with more pictures / vids

In short, this has been transformative, and if you've done nothing before with PCV/RapidBike etc then it would be a recommended way forwards. But I can appreciate the costs seem high. Just for reference their service is also offered through Alpha Racing but why use a middle man?

Last edited:
Post 2 more days at Snetterton.

Smooth, Controlled, Powerful. Is how I'd sum up the feel of the bike now. The throttle is now 'normal' to me, I am calibrated to it, having said that it definitely isn't road friendly like the OEM. It wants to go for it from the off which means at delicate throttle openings turning a sharp right etc on a street could lead to embarrassment. But on open flowing roads it would not be an issue.

Again, you don't have to do the throttle change...but it makes sense when you're out on track.

@baz took her out for a session, he felt it was less aggressive than his own bike though a lot of that was due to the gearing differences. 16/46 120 on his vs 16/43 118 on mine. Mine did surprise him in the fact it did not want to wheelie as much as his. This suggests it's driving forwards better but it might not actually have the punch out of so corners he was expecting. Maybe I need a NOVA gearbox next LOL. I am likely to experiment with gearing over the year. Not using 6th feels like a waste + you can't use that extra downshift for braking control. Driving harder through shorter 2nd/3rd/4th would seem to be a benefit most places. Though shifting less is less work for sure.

Running in Sport +5 DTC we logged up to 20% intervention so we know that's far too high...but it gave a good video :)
The bike does nothing scary, which sounds a bit dull but for a 200HP Superbike it's actually an achievement. I will focus on using less and less TC/ higher modes going forwards. The biggest improvement is the high RPM shifting which is faster and more reliable. The drive to the red line is just better than before.

All good, nothing's gone wrong yet - touch wood. I'll investigate the RCK3 and gearing over the year...and I hope to get a dyno run done sometime. I don't think my engine is the 'best' to start with so I'm not expecting mega numbers...but it should be pretty good and there's room to customise with the RCK3 anyway.

Last edited:
Damn, so interesting! I need a week to digest so much info.

Thank you for write up !

i got confused half way through :)

just to confirm,are you saying the TC is via the spark now,not throttle bodies?

i do like the idea of audible TC though,if for nothing else but the cool factor (although would help a lot on track if yu can actualy hear ir)

It might be a combination but yes its a different TC method.

I'll try to post more clarity. TBH this was a brain dump today and I will work to improve the details over the coming days/weeks.

- Alex

no probs,theres a lot of info to take in ;)

it just seems a bit of a backward step to me regarding the TC (obviously they know a hell of a lot better than me mind),but 1 of the reasons bikes are running FBW systems+throttle bodies is becuase of the rider aids,TC,anti wheelie etc,the basic TC systems like bazzaz for exmple used the ignition to reduce power (even the very early 08 zx10r did this),but this was without any speed,accelerometers+gyro's,just went off selected gear,throttle position and RPM.

i'm guessing it's used in conjunction,spark and throttlle body? interesting non the less.

Excellent brain dump, thanks Alex, and thanks for taking the plunge!

For my understanding, does their remap also deal with fueling for an after market exhaust system as well as introduce the new TC/electronics strategy? I ask because you mention it may be an alternative to Rapid Bike/Power Commander.

Standard O2 sensor still connected?

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hi Mike,

Yes this is a full "template" ECU re-write. It's effectively what they have run on an IDM (German Superbike) but detuned for a stock engine. Certain features are like the Audible TC are not available through the RCK so it's more than just a RCK3 mapping job.

What this isn't is a custom job specific to my engine. That's extra €200 and the bike would have to be present in Germany AFAIK.

So my RapidBike Race has been removed prior to re-installing the map and is ready to be sold.

no probs,theres a lot of info to take in ;)

it just seems a bit of a backward step to me regarding the TC (obviously they know a hell of a lot better than me mind),but 1 of the reasons bikes are running FBW systems+throttle bodies is becuase of the rider aids,TC,anti wheelie etc,the basic TC systems like bazzaz for exmple used the ignition to reduce power (even the very early 08 zx10r did this),but this was without any speed,accelerometers+gyro's,just went off selected gear,throttle position and RPM.

I'm guessing it's used in conjunction,spark and throttlle body? interesting non the less.

There's 3 main ways to correct slip I can think of. Ignition Cut, Fuel Cut and Throttle.
Throttle: Its a single throttle on the Gen3 RR and that controls all cylinders at once. This is also reacting AFTER slip is detected it because technically air is already in the system and power is going to be created with it. IMO this is slow to react and can only operate globally instead of individually. On the Gen4 I believe it's a split throttle 2|2 which allows for more control for sure but actually this is best for engine breaking.

Fuel Cut: Fast to react and you have the possibility to cut individual injectors of which we have 8. It is cleaner than ignition cut as it's not igniting unburned fuel in the exhaust. But again fuel can still be in the system as slip is detected and adding power.

Ignition Cut: Spark isn't triggered. Individual control. Can ignore the 'state' of the individual cylinder instantaneously. Out of 1440deg or revolution it can chose to cut power production from cylinders as needed. 1-3-2-4-1-3-2-4 It can choose to cut to give the tyre a break and help it regain traction. The R1 Crossplane operates across 270 degrees specifically to give they tyre a break in the last 90. Negatives, unburned fuel is 'wasted' and ignited in the exhaust.

EDIT: The RS2E method is FUEL CUT.

The individual TB's add more to engine braking strategies and throttle pickup than out and out TC.

Last edited:
Alex, unrelated question, I thought you need to send instrument cluster for RCK3. Is it not the case ?

Alex, unrelated question, I thought you need to send instrument cluster for RCK3. Is it not the case ?

I didn't.

If you're looking at the Alpha Racing requirements then yes I asked RS2E the same and they confirmed that Alpha ask for the kitchen sink in case something goes wrong but ultimately it shouldn't be needed.

all you need for RCK is the codes for the s/w to pair to the ECU,the ECU needs unlocking via a dealer or alpha,and unlock codes adding,no need for cluster

There's 3 main ways to correct slip I can think of. Ignition Cut, Fuel Cut and Throttle.
Throttle: Its a single throttle on the Gen3 RR and that controls all cylinders at once. This is also reacting AFTER slip is detected it because technically air is already in the system and power is going to be created with it. IMO this is slow to react and can only operate globally instead of individually. On the Gen4 I believe it's a split throttle 2|2 which allows for more control for sure but actually this is best for engine breaking.
Fuel Cut: 2nd fastest to react and you have the possibility to cut individual injectors if the ECU driver can cope. Is cleaner than ignition cut as it's not igniting unburned fuel in the exhaust. But again fuel can still be in the system as slip is detected and adding power.
Ignition Cut: Spark isn't triggered. Individual control. Can ignore the 'state' of the individual cylinder instantaneously. Out of 1440deg or revolution it can chose to cut power production from cylinders as needed. 1-3-2-4-1-3-2-4 It can choose to cut to give the tyre a break and help it regain traction. The R1 Crossplane operates across 270 degrees specifically to give they tyre a break in the last 90. Negatives, unburned fuel is 'wasted' and ignited in the exhaust.

For my money - Ignition Cut is what you want on track but not if you want to pass emmissions regulations. Its faster to operate, individually.

However as with all these systems. I assume that more is more and I have a FBW Throttle and Ignition Cut solution in there.

well you obvioiusly know what your talking about,gotta wonder why everything is going FBW nowadays though if TC is better through ign.or fuel cut.

FBW allows the bike to smooth things out and apply throttle strategies as needed. Its all good...all better than it used to be.

- Alex

So, I'm a silly billy.
I think I thought it was ignition cut as I had not been corrected before...till now.

Its Fuel Cut, not ignition cut, so, better for the environment.

Oops.

Also the throttle adaption had to be done on mine because I took the RCK unlock option. Normally it wouldn't.

Anyway I'll go back and make some new posts/vids soon.

@baz had a go on it...and says its very very smooth...

- Alex

Alex - can you confirm; did you have to go to a dealer and unlock the ECU before you sent it off to RS2E for the work?

Back