stock motor-v-SBK motor

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Reaction score
just put my Alpha 6.2 engine back into the bike after replacing the gearbox and is at the dyno,been running my stock engine for the last 6 months,so be interesting to see the difference in the figure.as it stands my stock motor was 204hp at the wheel,but thats running a full WSBK spec exhaust system+Alpha modified airbox+RCK3 fueling(still very healthy for stock engine).

Alpha estimate around 215+ with thier Map but obviously all dyno's are different.Got a few 2 different maps already to compare to,and then will do a full run+tweak to see where it gets to (tbh not overly fussed about the top end figure as long as it's smooth).

1 thing though doing fuel maps with the RCK3 is the throttle increments only go up in 1k rpm (whereas pcv is every 250) so can be tricky to get super smooth part throttle responses.

so,lets see what a ?17,000 engine gives you :)

Is there no adjustment in the RCK values? Not looked yet myself.
Some of these systems allow you to choose your rpm values as long as the are in a 10x10 grid for example.

- Alex

You can choose the RPM/Throttle values. The RCK software is really good. When I bought mine I contacted some teams in Italy and have been told that in the CIV (Italian championship) the RCK is more than enough. They also told me to avoid the PCV if I use the RCK software.

You can choose the RPM/Throttle values. The RCK software is really good. When I bought mine I contacted some teams in Italy and have been told that in the CIV (Italian championship) the RCK is more than enough. They also told me to avoid the PCV if I use the RCK software.

ahh interesting that,will have a look and see then.
i did watch a vid on youtube a while back comparing the RCK3 and pcv on the dyno and said the pcv is more accurate as gives every 250rpm but the rck3 only gives every 500.

will do a bit of digging,cheers

Mmm yes/no, depends where you put the cells. Also depends on the extrapolation done between load points.

Its not black and white.

- Alex

simple fact is,more adjustments,more often, will make for a smoother map,especially at the important areas,part throttle,which is why i was suprised when my dyno guy said it only does every 1k rpm(still got very smooth power delivery though).

just looking at the RCK now to see if i can change the increment value

ok,just looked at the fuel map,and whilst you can change the RPM increments,you can only input a maximum of 12 RPM settings,so assuming you start around 5k (below isn't massivley relavant on track) upto a max 0f 14500 there is only 3 places you put a finer adjustment,unless i'm missing a setting somewhere?it's a similar thing with the ignition table also.
if i'm missing something somewhere let me know?

@RyS1000RR you any ideas?

Make a dyno with stock map from Alpha and check where you need to adjust according to AFR and ignition. In my bike everyone that rode it and did not have BMW where surprised of how smooth yet powerful is. It is not yet finished. I prefer to adjust on the road since I have telemetry and lambda sensor.

Here is my RCK

2019-014.png

Make a dyno with stock map from Alpha and check where you need to adjust according to AFR and ignition. In my bike everyone that rode it and did not have BMW where surprised of how smooth yet powerful is. It is not yet finished. I prefer to adjust on the road since I have telemetry and lambda sensor.

Here is my RCK

2019-014.png

yea i get that,and how the throttle maps work,i've got the alpha map they flash onto your ECU when you do the 6.2 tune,but as you can see,you are limited tot he amount of fuel changes you can do,due to only having 12 inputs (jut chencked my bazzaz fuel tables and they start at 3k,upto 18k with enough inputs to change a value every 500rpm).
i'm not saying i have an issue,my maps in done via the RCK for my stock motor+6.2 motor are very smooth on the dyno graph,was more just making a point

Also,adjustng on the road must be a very long,and tbh not very accurate way of doing it,may aswell go down the self/auto mapping route from Dynojet or Bazzaz(not sure you can get bazzaz for the bm?).i had it on my 2012 bmw,but tbh you cant beat a good old dyno run/set up

Been there done that...Autotune is good for normal road conditions but not accurate enough for the track. The Lambda sensor is a Bosch 4.9 AIM LCU-One and logging is the most accurate way to tune a motor. You are tuning it in real conditions (track/road). It takes time (more maps per track/temperature) but it is accurate. On the dyno you have a map for the dyno conditions. You can start from there (check power curve/ignition) but the most accurate way is on the field (track/road).
I am tuning the S1000RR since 2011 and I can say that THE best solution is the RCK and Lambda sensor with datalogging.

How one tunes to Lambda sensor readings in RCK ?

I understand how Autotune of PCV or Mytunning of RapidBike work, but don't have a clear understanding about RCK.

All I need to do in Autotune is to sanity check the changes and press apply.

It's impossible to map without a WB02 sensor involved somewhere. Stock narrow bands can't help with tuning to a specific AFR.

It's impossible to map without a WB02 sensor involved somewhere. Stock narrow bands can't help with tuning to a specific AFR.
Yep, I understand that. So with Autotune, it reads WB02 sensor measurements automatically and offers suggestions on top of PCV map that you can accept.

How does this work with RCK ?

it doesn't as such,theres no auto tune,but if you have the 2d logging box,with lambda sensor,it logs the fueling as your riding,and then you adjust to suit.

Been there done that...Autotune is good for normal road conditions but not accurate enough for the track. The Lambda sensor is a Bosch 4.9 AIM LCU-One and logging is the most accurate way to tune a motor. You are tuning it in real conditions (track/road). It takes time (more maps per track/temperature) but it is accurate. On the dyno you have a map for the dyno conditions. You can start from there (check power curve/ignition) but the most accurate way is on the field (track/road).
I am tuning the S1000RR since 2011 and I can say that THE best solution is the RCK and Lambda sensor with datalogging.

so everytime you ride on teh road,you alter your mapping? your keen if nothing else.

also,can you put a pic up of your ignition map,be interesting to see how it looks compared to mine

it doesn't as such,theres no auto tune,but if you have the 2d logging box,with lambda sensor,it logs the fueling as your riding,and then you adjust to suit.
Do you know if I would need the HP Logger as well to use the extension box? Just curious as I would like the rear pot sensor back one day (Ohlins).

I could then get the wb02 as well...

- Alex

Back