Power curve Ducati 959 vs S1000rr

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cre0108

Reaction score
I was just wondering about the power curve and the respective hp at given revs. My friend has the 959 and although i have 50bhp more and we are roughly the same weight his acceleration is quite rapid. I notice more of a difference as i get over 8 thousand but by then we are already moving so quick we are at the legal limits and more. I guess it goes to prove that anything above 150bhp is probably not required on the road.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It?s important to consider the respective gear(s) you?re both using, as a smaller bike in an appropriate gear will outperform a bigger bike in a less ideal gear.
As i4?s are so smooth, and as RR?s have extremely flexible engines, it?s easy to stay in a relatively high gear and rely on the torque. However, that will not deliver optimal drive. If you keep the bike between say 6-9k rpm when going down a twisty road, you?ll have immediate ooomph [emoji41]

One other thing to consider is your riding mode. If you have a conservative DTC setting or riding mode, then the traction control will limit your drive out of a corner. If you select ?DTC Slick? within the ?User Mode?, then you can vary the traction control through 14 level increments, but there is significantly less hold-back than the other DTC modes

- Oli

Last edited:
I was just wondering about the power curve and the respective hp at given revs. My friend has the 959 and although i have 50bhp more and we are roughly the same weight his acceleration is quite rapid. I notice more of a difference as i get over 8 thousand but by then we are already moving so quick we are at the legal limits and more. I guess it goes to prove that anything above 150bhp is probably not required on the road.

Chris

Is it on track?

Just the road. I notice he is always changing gears but he is quicker than I expected and its more hectic but he is happy with that style of riding. The S1000RR is just such a beast . I know he rides it always in race mode where i can happily run in road and still get a buzz. Although you park up and the 959 corsa always attracts attention .

Chris

Maybe you ride in too high a gear for the pace? V2 Torque will always give that initial kick out of a corner.

- Alex

I had an amusing call with a CBR600 riding mate I was racing with at the weekend to compare our data. My lap time is four seconds quicker than his but he's faster than me on all but one straight (the fastest parts where I should be quickest!) and on nearly every corner apex ( the parts you expect the lighter CBR600 to be faster). Those four seconds are almost entirely down to cheat powers! It was a bit shocking I was down on the straights since that's where I should be quicker but I'm not comfortable enough to be riding the BMW well enough yet.

Last edited:
Agree with Alex, most V twins have instant acceleration oomph which gives them an initial advantage on the road and as we all know going fast on a bike (any bike) has more to do with rider ability and technique than the headline power and performance figures of whatever you're riding

That is why I would like to see a power curve to see how it makes the power.

Chris

It's very linear....just ramps and ramps. However it's torque that drags you out of the corners V2's have huge torque due to the big pistons.

286bb2e7fc76637c617bbfb92039632a.jpg

Can?t remember the source but Standard gen 3 in KW not HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back