Tyre Tread

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJK

Reaction score
I currently have Metzeler Roadtec 01?s on with 3.5mm tread on the rear and 4mm on the front this is after 2000 autumn/winter miles the tyres have worn evenly as I generally only ride on twisty roads so they have not squared off. I?m about to head off to Europe for 4 days I?m unsure of the trips mileage as we have no plans other than we are going to have a blast and end up in Assen for WSBK on Sunday, so should I change before I go or just leave them? The tyres started at about 6mm so that equates to about 800 miles per mm of tread, I would never run the tyre down to the legal limit of 1mm but only have a few days to decide as we catch the ferry Thursday?

Thanks

personally,for the sake of a few hundered quid,on big trips or euro t/days i never skimp on tyres,nothing worse than trip being ruined or cut short due to lack of rubber

I could just take them off and refit in autumn as they still look far to good to throw away, they probably will last however last year I was in a similar position and took the risk and the rear tyre ended up not lasting and cut the trip short I was surprised at how quick it deteriorated once it got down on tread and it was the same tyre on a different bike,

exactly,just stick them back on at a later date

Yes that?s the plan probably going to put Michelin PR5?s on this time to try and get better mileage, I think 3.5- 4K solely road mileage on the Roadtec is disappointing it is probably about a 1000 miles ish more than sporty rubber!

personally,for the sake of a few hundered quid,on big trips or euro t/days i never skimp on tyres,nothing worse than trip being ruined or cut short due to lack of rubber
What scooby said - I'd never jeopardize the fun of a long trip worrying about a tyre I could have changed for a couple hundred quid. And you can put the "old" tyres back on at a cost of ?15 a wheel. So the real expense of have brand new tyres for your trip is ?30. No brainer.

I agree with the others here but would add that there's nothing to stop you getting the tyres changed on the trip if you do a little planning. I went through a new set of Supercorsas riding down to Italy a few years back and got them changed in Turin on the way back up. Dropped the bike into the dealer and went for a coffee and they were fitted by the time I returned.

Last edited:
I reckon, if you're having a question about tyre wear, and will they last an unknown distance, Take the best option and get them replaced, then you will never have any doubts in your head, saying are they still good.
Plan for a successful trip in advance.

Decision made tyres are getting swapped for Michelin Road 5?s on Thursday I?ll just put the Roadtec back on in autumn. Like everyone says it doesn?t really make much sense not to change them, I though about more sporty rubber but temperatures forecast to be down and think they would be wasted plus they could be almost used up if he hit 2k during the trip

Keep in mind you're traveling to Europe, they do have lots of tire shops around there. I do ride in Europe a lot and stopped caring about tyre change. You just open Google maps and fine nearest dealer or pre-arrange something upfront.

It also a big inconvenience as we are only going for a few days predominately over the weekend which restricts your options.

Back