HP4 - Multitude of errors!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattOz

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had the same on their HP4. Started a couple of weeks ago with a yellow EML, then the bike added T/C and ABS lights for a giggle. It also threw in a flashing change up light for good measure. Turning off and back on makes the lights disappear.

The bike has been to BMW as it needed the clutch switch replacing. This was done and they checked for error codes, but none was found. I had hoped that the clutch switch replacement would cure it. However, it hasn't and on the ride home it flagged the EML and the T/C lights again.

Anyone had similar?

Cheers
Matt

Are the battery's terminals clean and tight?

Seems like a grounding issue to me.

It did sound battery related on first read. Give it a test / charge if you can.

- Alex

When my HP4 went nuts with the electronics it was traced to a chaffed loom. This was caused by the factory and was inevitable with the miles. Quickly replaced under warranty and was perfect thereafter.

When my HP4 went nuts with the electronics it was traced to a chaffed loom. This was caused by the factory and was inevitable with the miles. Quickly replaced under warranty and was perfect thereafter.

Had a similar issue on mine wher TC light came on randomly, chafed loom for me also. Oooer :ambivalence:

Thanks for the replies. Don't think it's battery related as all was OK when I checked it last night. The bike is kept on an Optimate too, so don't think the battery itself is knackered. Those of you who had the loom issue, do you know where on the bike the loom was chaffing?

The dealer replaced the whole loom on mine and didn?t say exactly where it was. The chaffing was caused by over tight tie wraps so if you were wanting to look for the fault that would by a way of narrowing down the points where a break might be occurring.

The dealer replaced the whole loom on mine and didn’t say exactly where it was. The chaffing was caused by over tight tie wraps so if you were wanting to look for the fault that would by a way of narrowing down the points where a break might be occurring.

I'll have a look, but that does sound like looking for a needle in a haystack. :)

look between the airbox and the frame - apparently it was a common problem

look between the airbox and the frame - apparently it was a common problem

I've had a look on both sides. Took the panels off and lifted the tank. Nothing obvious,. but that doesn't mean that wires aren't pinched or chaffed within the taped up loom. Both battery terminals are on tight, but the battery itself can move up and down a bit. It's not solidly mounted. Is that a thing?

I've had a look on both sides. Took the panels off and lifted the tank. Nothing obvious,. but that doesn't mean that wires aren't pinched or chaffed within the taped up loom. Both battery terminals are on tight, but the battery itself can move up and down a bit. It's not solidly mounted. Is that a thing?

The battery can move a bit.
I would charge test the battery. An optimate health checks it as well as testing it.

The battery can move a bit.
I would charge test the battery. An optimate health checks it as well as testing it.

Thanks Alex. It sits on an Optimate 90% of the time, so I have green lights on the battery front.

Just thought I'd update this one. Wollaston BMW found a chafed wire near the ABS control unit. They've fixed it and not had any error since. Time will tell, but hopefully that's the end of that. :)

Just thought I'd update this one. Wollaston BMW found a chafed wire near the ABS control unit. They've fixed it and not had any error since. Time will tell, but hopefully that's the end of that. :)

Was the cost of this covered under warranty or did you have to pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back