Travelling Europe

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd recommend all the stuff mentioned already but in ten years of bi-monthly trips I've never taken any of it!! I collect speading camera tickets everytime I go (mostly Spain) and those get filed in the bin but the German municipal ones are a headache since they record your fine on a database which can be accessed by the police if they pull you over. They can't do anything about getting you to pay from the UK other than a couple nasty letters but I'll have ~?150 fine from last year if I get pulled whilst over there next time which I'd have to pay at the side of the road I suspect.

Last edited:
I'd recommend all the stuff mentioned already but in ten years of bi-monthly trips I've never taken any of it!! I collect speading camera tickets everytime I go (mostly Spain) and those get filed in the bin but the German municipal ones are a headache since they record your fine on a database which can be accessed by the police if they pull you over. They can't do anything about getting you to pay from the UK other than a couple nasty letters but I'll have ~?150 fine from last year if I get pulled whilst over there next time which I'd have to pay at the side of the road I suspect.
Everything is soo true.

Oh yes definitely taking the bike mate! Heading alone though as all the mates are stuck in work.

I?m heading 11th as well, leave Belfast on the 0730 ferry then a quick dash across to Newcastle for the ferry that night. I only booked it 4 weeks ago, never thought it would?ve sold out, guess it?ll be busy with people heading to the race though.

Im staying in a hotel a few miles south of Assen, have paid for the Kawasaki hospitality for the 3 days also so can?t wait to see all that!

Then doing the Ring on the Monday evening, have a night there on the piss, then to Antwerp for Tuesday night on the piss with a mate who lives there, and back to Newcastle on the Wednesday night boat.

Best i get greeen card and driving permit sorted then ASAP!

Sounds like you have it all mapped out our plans are, just wing it and make it up as we go we have not got any accommodation lined up, Assen tickets or even a route we will look at the weather forecast on the ferry and make our decision based on that. I also have a motorhome and that's exactly what we do when we travel to the EU follow the sun lol ! I think the long range forecast for what its worth (very little) looks okay fingers crossed.

I'm not sure how busy Assen will be for WSBK's? I nearly went to the MotoGP last year as we were pitched in Amsterdam for a few days, I think there was around 130K attendance the weather was unbearably hot so decided against going!

Europe has been cancelled due to the forecast being rubbish, we are now doing the NC500/769 as the weather is better in sunny Scotland, ironically we were going to do the NC500 trip last year but cancelled it the day before the trip due to terrible forecast! I believe the forum did a group ride out there last year which was just before we were about to go and I think you got the nice weather as it turned for us.

Weathers pot luck tbh... I done the NC500 in 2016 and the weather was blazing hot, made it halfway round in 2017 and threw the towel in at Loch Maree.. a 4 mil wet suit wouldn't have kept me dry or warm and last year was fine with all the lads off here..

Last summer as a whole was amazing up here...it was sunny for weeks on end...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Weathers pot luck tbh... I done the NC500 in 2016 and the weather was blazing hot, made it halfway round in 2017 and threw the towel in at Loch Maree.. a 4 mil wet suit wouldn't have kept me dry or warm and last year was fine with all the lads off here..

Last summer as a whole was amazing up here...it was sunny for weeks on end...

Yeah the weather is just so unpredictable especially in Scotland and the forecast always tells lies!! What way do you think is best clockwise or anti clockwise?

Thanks

I preferred clockwise if I'm honest.. I'm at the foot of Loch Lomond so makes sense to blast up the 82 then on to the 87 at Invergarry...roads are awesome..

What makes sense is sticking to the fun roads and not doing the awful single track section. On a sportsbike it's open roads you want.

Stuart we have been through Loch Lomond and staying near Fort William so we are going clockwise weather has been as good as could be expected. Will check out them 2 roads cheers

Alex when you say single tracks is that Bealach Na Ba, or is there any others?

Thanks

Stuart we have been through Loch Lomond and staying near Fort William so we are going clockwise weather has been as good as could be expected. Will check out them 2 roads cheers

Alex when you say single tracks is that Bealach Na Ba, or is there any others?

Thanks

Yeah I think so...

Well NC500 completed good call on them two roads Stuart thanks.

I have to to agree with Alex on the NC500 and the single track stuff on a sports bike is not a great place to be! Regardless off that I would not change it and I’m really pleased we have done it but I would miss the single track roads the next time if I was on a sports bike!

Never bothered me on my HP4... that stretch between Applecross all the way heading to Durness was amazing in 2016 but the weather was a scorcher, hardly any traffic...we were nicking on as we could see the few cars/motorhomes miles in the distance....the road did keep you alert...I'd hate that stretch in bad weather...

Last edited:
Back