Travelling Europe

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJK

Reaction score
We are looking to go to Assen in a couple of weeks, we will head into Germany do do a few good roads then to Assen for Sunday. My bike is pretty standard except for Akrapovic GP slip which is not road legal should I put standard exhaust on for trip? Also do you need any special health insurance due to high risk activity? I?ve driven around Europe extensively but never on a bike so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

We are looking to go to Assen in a couple of weeks, we will head into Germany do do a few good roads then to Assen for Sunday. My bike is pretty standard except for Akrapovic GP slip which is not road legal should I put standard exhaust on for trip? Also do you need any special health insurance due to high risk activity? I’ve driven around Europe extensively but never on a bike so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

You will be fine. I've traveled Europe numerous times with Full Akra on S1000RR and Termi on Ducati Diavel, no one cares.

Take V5C form.

No health insurance required as well.

I would take tire puncture kit just in case.

You will be fine. I've traveled Europe numerous times with Full Akra on S1000RR and Termi on Ducati Diavel, no one cares.

Take V5C form.

No health insurance required as well.

I would take tire puncture kit just in case.

^ as above. No need to worry. Ridden in Europe every year since 1983, they aren't bothered.

You should have a ehic card as a bare minimum.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

Exhausts are not an issue.

We are looking to go to Assen in a couple of weeks, we will head into Germany do do a few good roads then to Assen for Sunday. My bike is pretty standard except for Akrapovic GP slip which is not road legal should I put standard exhaust on for trip? Also do you need any special health insurance due to high risk activity? I?ve driven around Europe extensively but never on a bike so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

All?s well in Holland even had no trouble with my letterbox number plate. If it?s around the Gp beware of breathalyzing as I got checked twice within 15 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should have a ehic card as a bare minimum.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

Exhausts are not an issue.
I'm pretty sure you don't need the card for A&E.

Not worth not having it though is it?

- Alex
True.

My KTM spent last year in Northen Italy. The only thing I find useful to have is v5c form and Italian police occasionally stops you on roads for document checks.

There is some good information about riding and driving in Europe on both the RAC and AA websites which is worth reading. In particular note the potential passport, driving license and insurance requirements, as what is acceptable now could all change in a couple of weeks time.

I scanned all my doc's in colour and uploaded to my Google Drive account as a back up... that said it's not a good idea not to lose the hard copies tho... particularly your passport [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I insure via aviva for my cars and got an email yesterday saying I can apply to them for a green card insurance document to use if I am travelling in europe post brexit. It is free and a legal requirement if we leave the eu. They said it has to be a physical document so it will arrive in the post in the next week or so.

I insure via aviva for my cars and got an email yesterday saying I can apply to them for a green card insurance document to use if I am travelling in europe post brexit. It is free and a legal requirement if we leave the eu. They said it has to be a physical document so it will arrive in the post in the next week or so.
That's if a no deal scenario, right?

Handy thread this as I’m also heading to Assen for the WSBK, though I’m getting the party boat over from Newcastle. Going to do the Nurburgring as well when I’m over, only ever done it in the car before.

Will look out for fellow S1K riders :eagerness:

Following on from my previous post. Certain things I won't go to Europe on a bike without for the past 35+ years.

Travel Insurance. I've experienced what's it's like to have a major accident in France. You're EHIC only covers basic stuff. Not worth the plastic it's printed on. You'll end up with a remortgage size bill. Thankfully I had travel Insurance. Holidaysafe are great. Bike specific for 10 days or any length. Not much money at all. Last time ?37. They're a number of companies out there.

Breakdown insurance. Never had a breakdown but plenty of blown (in a non repairable way) tyres from debris and repatriating the bike because I couldn't ride. It was ?2000 back in 2001 from South of France to get it back to Surrey. J

It's down to own choice but I'd avoid Holidaysafe. Holidaysafe and Boots trade under TIF (Travel Insurance Facilities) who are under investigation for medical negligence by the British Medical Council. Other brands trading under TIF, Alpha Travel, Get Going and Ski Club Travel Insurance.

I have in the past used Post Office Insurance, check that any insurer will cover you (for health) for riding your own motorcycle. I think it was Carol Nash air lifted friend of friend from Spanish mountain to Hospital and then flew them home. Well worth having proper Health Insurance IMO.

Do's
Relax and have fun!
You should take your EHIC card, you do need it for A&E otherwise you may have to pay before you leave! The EHIC card is essential if you need medical assistance and it is not deemed an emergency - everything becomes FREE when you present it and fill in a few forms. Who knows after the 'BR' word.....
As mentioned earlier, take your V5C original document and have access to electronic copies of other travel essential documents, bike insurance, MoT, passport etc.
I already buy global travel & medical insurance, it's brilliant if you have to call upon it and saves you a fortune for the sake of a few quid. Swap next-of-kin phone numbers with at least one other person in your party.
Fuel stops on Sundays are often unmanned fuel stations which only accept debit cards, especially in France. If you are stuck, carry cash and swap it with a local for the equivalent amount of fuel put on their debit card if yours isn't recognised.

Don'ts
Don't get caught speeding, even a few km over the speed limit will be very expensive. I didn't say don't speed, I just said don't get caught.
Don't Drink and Ride, a ban for D&D in Europe applies in the UK too!

Thanks for a lot of useful information given, so basically to summarise:-

I will be taking the EHIC card (I always do when I travel in the EU), travel insurance that covers motorcycles, not bother changing my slip on exhaust, carry all documents (I always do this when driving abroad), be extremely cautious for drink driving the following morning as EU limit is lower than England, I have applied for my Green Card and also International Driving Permit (should we leave the EU on the 12th we will still be away), break down cover (already have this with BMW will check policy to see what is covered) and be wary of getting caught speeding!

Gav525 how long are you going for and are you taking bike? I tried Newcastle as that is our local port unfortunately we could not get a return ticket so we used PO Ferries and it was a better deal, a totally flexible ticket, better cabin and all our meals included for the same price as the most basic ticket from Newcastle which you could not cancel or alter! We sail from Hull going the 11th to 14th there is 3 of us going two S1000RR one ZX10R might see you about :)

Cheers

Thanks for a lot of useful information given, so basically to summarise:-

I will be taking the EHIC card (I always do when I travel in the EU), travel insurance that covers motorcycles, not bother changing my slip on exhaust, carry all documents (I always do this when driving abroad), be extremely cautious for drink driving the following morning as EU limit is lower than England, I have applied for my Green Card and also International Driving Permit (should we leave the EU on the 12th we will still be away), break down cover (already have this with BMW will check policy to see what is covered) and be wary of getting caught speeding!

Gav525 how long are you going for and are you taking bike? I tried Newcastle as that is our local port unfortunately we could not get a return ticket so we used PO Ferries and it was a better deal, a totally flexible ticket, better cabin and all our meals included for the same price as the most basic ticket from Newcastle which you could not cancel or alter! We sail from Hull going the 11th to 14th there is 3 of us going two S1000RR one ZX10R might see you about :)

Cheers

Oh yes definitely taking the bike mate! Heading alone though as all the mates are stuck in work.

I’m heading 11th as well, leave Belfast on the 0730 ferry then a quick dash across to Newcastle for the ferry that night. I only booked it 4 weeks ago, never thought it would’ve sold out, guess it’ll be busy with people heading to the race though.

Im staying in a hotel a few miles south of Assen, have paid for the Kawasaki hospitality for the 3 days also so can’t wait to see all that!

Then doing the Ring on the Monday evening, have a night there on the piss, then to Antwerp for Tuesday night on the piss with a mate who lives there, and back to Newcastle on the Wednesday night boat.

Best i get greeen card and driving permit sorted then ASAP!

Back