Helmets!? Who has what?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoranC1

Reaction score
Ive got An AGV K5 helmet for the past few years, but its a bit on the large side and i have issues looking over my shoulder on my s1k. Considering you cant test ride a helmet....anyone have any reccomendations?/reviews. Ill be doing track days in the helmet too.

Mainly considering the shoei or arai atm. Aiming around 500quid too

..........I don't think you could go wrong with either Shoie or Arai? I'd probably take a look at the Shark race Pro carbon as well, not forgetting a number of highly rated Bell helmets. My Enduro helmet is a Bell, I love it, light and very comfortable [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Ive got An AGV K5 helmet for the past few years, but its a bit on the large side and i have issues looking over my shoulder on my s1k. Considering you cant test ride a helmet....anyone have any reccomendations?/reviews. Ill be doing track days in the helmet too.

It doesn't really matter what anyone else recommends as you have to buy a helmet that fits your head properly. The best thing to do is go to somewhere like Sportsbikeshop and try on as many helmets as you can, I currently have a Shark Race R pro carbon which is now 5 years old so is due for a change, the only 2 other current helmets I've found that fit me as well are the Arai Chaser X and Shoei X Spirit 3, other Arai's and Shoei's don't so avoid falling into the trap of assuming a particular brand 's helmets all fit the same.

I used to be an AGV fan until I tried a Shoel. I?ve had an NXR for several years now and love it,firm fit but all day comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In terms of quality and ownership experience, in my opinion Shoei is best.
I fully agree with what @MacRR says, in that fit is most important. Shoei are fantastic in this respect as they provide crown and cheek pads in three different thicknesses, which make a significant contribution in tailoring the fit of the helmet to your head shape. This is a complimentary service.

I have an AGV Pista GP R, which has great visibility, air flow and low weight. However, it is extremely track biased, so does not make for a practical helmet for road use IMO

- Oli

I don't fit Arai :(

Now on my 3rd Shoei, tried a lot of different lids in Get Geared, J&S, Infinity etc over the years.

Last helmet I bought before the X-Spirit 3 was an RPHA-10 HJC. They feel plush inside and I have been using it on track lots. But ultimately its not shaped for the track. The viewing angle is not high enough. And the strap is too close to the throat. Nice for sport touring but not a track helmet. This is why I went back to Shoei and the X-Spirit 3.

@MacRR it does have ear recesses. I cannot feel it on my ears at all.

X-lite are very light nearly went for one but wimped out...

- Alex

I was always top spec hjc. Loved them. I will say I'm not a fan of the rpha10. But the 11 is much better and what I currently race with

I was always top spec hjc. Loved them. I will say I'm not a fan of the rpha10. But the 11 is much better and what I currently race with

I heard the 11 was a good step forwards...pleased as overall the HJC's are usually good VFM.

Last edited:
I?ve personally always worn Arai helmets because they fit me extremely well. That and I?ve crashed on track numerous times over the years wearing them so I have complete confidence in the level of protection that they offer.

Thanks guys, what about wind buffeting/noise? My agv seems to let a lil bit of wind in causing the odd whistle which is getting annoying. At the end ill be going with the best fit as in helmet comfort is alot of the sway point

The whistle is the airstream coming off the screen. Or should I say, it is on my HJC RPHA-10...the Shoei NXR doesn't do it.

Generally if you buy a race helmet expect it to be noiser than something designed for road or touring use. If you value your hearing, always wear earplugs regardless of helmet type.

+1 on earplugs, I left it too late and have tinnitus now.
After years of wearing Arai RX7's I went to HJC, I have had the RPHA 10, 10+ and now the 11, I like the RPHA 11 a lot, it's much quieter than Arai and more comfortable. I could not argue against the quality or the safety of Arai, but I like the HJC for the reasons above.

I've got an Arai Chaser. Shoeis don't seem to fit my head. As said above you need to try them out.
Also think about whether you will use on road or track, as the viewing angle can be critical if you are tucked in.

After 30+ years of Arai's and Shoei's (still have a few serviceable Arai's being used), I've swapped to an X-Lite Ultra Carbon 802RR.

I wouldn't go back now. When I put one of my Arai's on, it feels old, heavy, noisy and top edge of the visor opening needs to be higher as you need to flex your neck more than with the X-lite when tucked in. X-lite beats the Arai's / Shoei's hands down and is so much less tiring on long journeys.

Weight on helmets is as important as on a bike.

IMO

Jamie

I've always had Shoei NXR as they were the best fit and value in the old season sales (always a Marquez going cheap!) for my head but changed to XLite this season and really love it. It feels more plush and high quality and the paint job rocks. I havn't fount an Arai or AGV that fits me as well so they have not been an option.

Attachments

• 49829567_10157017002312363_8419808411964669952_n.jpg
    49829567_10157017002312363_8419808411964669952_n.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Back