New bike decision

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carsonr6

Banned
Reaction score
So after much deliberation and the sale of my 1299S I narrowed the list of the replacement down to:

R1M
V4S
Gen 4 S1000RR

Yesterday I placed an order with BMW for the new M sport RR.

To be honest I?d have been happy with any of them.
I wanted a new sports bike that will be used for mainly road riding with the odd trackday thrown in, maybe a couple of Euros a year and that?s why I ended up with the 3 bikes listed.

For me the V4 just doesn?t look as good as I ever hoped it would be and the 1299 is a much better looking bike which put me off buying one right away which is a shame because it?s supposed to be an awesome bike to ride, but they have had their issues and a big thing for me is the lack of exhaust options for them and I?m not paying ?4K plus for an exhaust.

It was really down to the Beemer and the R1M. I?ve always wanted an R1M since they?ve come out and watching guys on track destroy me with ease made me really hanker for one.
I was all set to order one when I read that there?s a big possibility that Yamaha will completely revamp the R1 next year and that made me think that anyone buying an R1M this year will take a huge bath on a 2019 model should they revamp it next year.

Looking at the spec and videos on the Beemer made me realise that it?s going to be the bike of 2019 I think. The electronics package and carbon wheels are a standout for me and it?s cheaper than an R1M. It?s going to have the latest and greatest electronics on it which is what I?m really desperate to try out in track which was a huge positive.

There?s also the lack of dealer support for Yamaha in Glasgow as far as I could see. Jim Allan in Falkirk used to be a dealer but I don?t see him selling new Yamaha?s anymore and I think Kilmarnock might be the only other option.

So there it is, decision made and hoping to have the Beemer in time for doing the NC500 in July before I send it to Spain to try at Alcarras on track in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I marginally preferred the Tuono after test riding both but ended up buying the KTM - suits my needs more of the time. Right decision to go for the S1K over the R1M imo, R1 a brilliant bike but BMW moving the game on (again) although not sure why you think 1299 much better looking than the V4, they look virtually identical to me!

I marginally preferred the Tuono after test riding both but ended up buying the KTM - suits my needs more of the time. Right decision to go for the S1K over the R1M imo, R1 a brilliant bike but BMW moving the game on (again) although not sure why you think 1299 much better looking than the V4, they look virtually identical to me!

I think the V4 tank looks bulbous and and don?t like the lines of the tank cover and side panels.

I don?t think there?s much between the Tuono and KTM mate, they?re both great bikes and can?t go wrong with either for the road

Dealer emailed today and I?ve been told that they?ll have it on the 26th June, but obviously that can change. [emoji1695]

Glad you'll get it relatively quickly considering some are talking about September delivery.

Will dealers get certain allocations that mean that they?ll be able to get bikes quicker than say another dealer that?s exceeded their initial allocation if you know what I mean?

My mate ordered one last month from Park Lane, they said June and then 2 weeks ago, pushed back to Sept too. He is thinking about cancelling and getting the R1M

Last edited:
Will dealers get certain allocations that mean that they’ll be able to get bikes quicker than say another dealer that’s exceeded their initial allocation if you know what I mean?

You would think so but hopefully Tim@Lind can clarify (if he is allowed to). It would make sense for high volume dealerships to get more bikes because they can shift them easily and its a reward for good performance.

I told the dealer prior to putting the deposit down I was looking at the R1M too and only going for the beemer if I get it for July. That was after they told me that July was their initial target date

Well as long as your willing to wait until October for the gen4 what a joke how can they release it then !

Well as long as your willing to wait until October for the gen4 what a joke how can they release it then !

Not everyone is having to wait until October if what the dealers are saying is true.
Don?t think anyone actually knows for definite when they?re coming so there?s no point getting flustered

I?m not flustered lol I?d wait for it as I?ve waited this long but the date might be brought forward plus they did say there would be some concessions.

It?s a bit disheartening seeing all these track companies and race teams getting theirs while the general public are being kept in the dark a bit as to when they?ll get theirs

Back