2015 Fuel tank paint work bubbling/corrosion. BMW Paint warranty?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serotonin

Reaction score
Hi all, as per title, paintwork on my fuel tank is bubbling by the rubber seal on the tank filler cap.

I bought the bike (2015 Gen 3 black storm metallic) from new and it's only done 2,900 miles, it is spotless. (I know, I know that's bad, but I have 2 other bikes I use and this is strictly a sunny Sunday morning bike.)

Which is what is even more shocking, as it has seen no rain. It's stored in a dry garage with ventilation and covered in a stretch soft felt lined cover.

Checking it over today for it's MOT and noticed the bubbling paint, to say I'm gutted is an understatement. :(

My question though, anyone know if there is a paintwork warranty like on their cars? I'll be asking the dealer when I take it in the next few days, just wondered if anyone else has had this?

I know the GS/A crowd have had complete engines and swinging arms changed due to flaking paintwork, so it's not uncommon on BMW bikes it seems!

20190320-170829.jpg

20190320-170838.jpg

Its caused by petrol.

My '17 just got refurbished by @budgie for a better price than you might expect...but I had damaged in other ways so it was never going to be a warranty job for me.

- Alex

Hi Serotonin, I don't think you will have any issues with BMW regarding the paint warranty but from my point of view ditch the cover on your bike.

Even if your garage is dry and has circulating air it will carry moisture in it and as heat builds up this will rise from the floor up and be captured under your cover where it will condense. It is only is small quantities but if you have large changes in temperature (day to night to day) the cycle will condense more.

Seen it happen to a Snap-on tool box that had the cover used on it compared to a box with no cover in the same workshop that had no heating.

Good luck with your dealer, they'll fix it and try and sell you a 2019, your bikes a minter.:bikeday_smilie:

JimmyMac

Thanks for your replies.

Bloody hell Alex, that's terrible especially for barely over 2 years old. Cheers for the tips Jimmy, trying to protect it from dust etc. nowhere else on the bike is there any problems, just around the tank filler rubber seal.

I'll see what they say on Saturday, as it's booked in for a service as well as the MOT. Mrs will NOT be happy if they try to tempt me with a 2019 bike, as she knows how weak I am.. :D

I believe paint is only officially covered under the manufacturer warranty, though if you have the extended warranty that does, in my experience, get good-will points.
That being said, as Jimmy says I would like to believe it will be honoured under warranty.
I?ve just checked my 15 model and the tank paint is in good nick.

Let us know how you get on and fingers crossed for a successful outcome, or a Gen 4 order lol [emoji2957]

- Oli

Last edited:
Well I came away unscathed and no Gen 4 ordered (she was watching me like a hawk..). Queried the bubbling paint and was told the seal around the cap had failed allowing vapour to escape, damaging the paintwork. As it's out of warranty the seal isn't covered.

There is no paint warranty and any defects (including paint) are covered under regular warranty, as I don't have extended and it's a 2015 bike there was not much chance, but...

In certain circumstances BMW will honour a claim under certain conditions and they can raise a case with them to see if this can happen. Due to the condition and mileage there is a possibility that they may either A, offer parts and I pay labour. B, Supply and fit free of charge or C, 'Do one'

So I've had a case raised and I should hear within 2 weeks what the outcome is.

My issue now is, when did the seal fail? As paint doesn't degrade from petrol contamination over night. So I can see this developing into a bit of grief, a maybe pleasantly surprised. Will soon find out.

Fingers crossed you get some goodwill. The dealer is doing the right thing raising a case. Let us know how it goes.

Update:

Spoken to dealership this morning, BMW are willing to pay 80% toward parts, I'll have to pay labour and the rest towards the tank as they're wanting to replace it.

I've been quoted ?340.

I imagine that having the tank repainted is going to cost similar if not more?

Update:

Spoken to dealership this morning, BMW are willing to pay 80% toward parts, I'll have to pay labour and the rest towards the tank as they're wanting to replace it.

I've been quoted ?340.

I imagine that having the tank repainted is going to cost similar if not more?

Cost me much less. Ask @budgie for a quote.

Back