My First Euro Trip - Almeria

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeps

Reaction score
So me and a mate have been booked onto Almeria with FE since October last year and it finally arrived and got here. Had some mixed feelings due to my bad riding but overall it was amazing!

Day 1 I spent with Gino Rea trying to get some pointers and expert tuition. Ended up as a shambles as I just couldn't get anything right, not sure if it was the pressure of being watched, along with being tired and not on a bike for 4 months, but it was a washout.

Day 2 I got dropped to group 1 as my times were embarrassing, but got on with it and managed to get pretty consistent 2.01's. I swapped to my new Dunlop D212 tyres as well which gave me more confidence over the old M7RR's that I'd done 6 days and 1500 road miles on!

Day 3 back up into group 2, and I wanted to crack the 2 minute mark, couldn't do it at all with the best being a 2.00.30!

Day 4 I decided to stop chasing times and just enjoy myself. Ran a bit wide on turn 2 nd decided to head for the gravel. Managed to stay on but somehow ended up slightly bending the rear brake lever on my R&G rearsets. Wasn't happy with it so decided to swap to standard. Wht a difference!
I fitted the R&G's to get some more leg room and comfort 3 years ago when I bought the bike, but this was only for road use back then. With the standard parts on the bike responded so much better, I was smoother with position changes due to better foot positioning etc. Night and day!

I went out the following session and just went very steadily, and got a 2.01 straight away, how bizarre! The following session I went out pushing a bit more and managed a 1.56.85 after my outlap! Followed by a 1.56.55, 1.57.55 & 1.57.35. So had smashed my target and just felt a million times better. So much time wasted with those rearsets and the wrong position! Very low max speed on the back straight but I wanted a little more time to set myself for the corner so decided to sacrifice that. Fastest speed managed overall was 164mph.

Finished up with 1 more chilled session just enjoying riding with my mate and putting a smile on my face! So the last 3 sessions saved the whole trip for me which was lucky!
A few pictures below, including a Gino Rea photobomb! And also a link to my 4 fastest laps, be very greatful if anyone in the know wants to critique me, I know where a lot of my time is lost due to bravery but always welcome some feedback!

Will be back there next year 100%!!

40414662943_5fb701a446_c.jpg

33503890938_cb6a2e41df_c.jpg

47380008921_78d5f254f8_c.jpg

33512867088_2fda471d93_c.jpg

32447212187_8bef44beca_c.jpg

40423462003_0cd59ee276_c.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p1xpBGWAE_8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

it's definatley a confidence track,you need it in the bike and know where your going on the track to put any decent lap times in,problem with Almeria,unlike the proper GP tracks is when it goes wrong it hurts,and bike gets messy,they are't gravel traps,they are boulder traps :biggrin-new:

it's definatley a confidence track,you need it in the bike and know where your going on the track to put any decent lap times in,problem with Almeria,unlike the proper GP tracks is when it goes wrong it hurts,and bike gets messy,they are't gravel traps,they are boulder traps :biggrin-new:

that's so true.

One guy found an 'animal' hole in the run off dirt at the end of the back straight. Buckled his front wheel.

Fortunately the dealer in Almeria sold him the front off their display bike so he could get back out there!

- Alex

One guy found an 'animal' hole in the run off dirt at the end of the back straight. Buckled his front wheel.

Fortunately the dealer in Almeria sold him the front off their display bike so he could get back out there!

- Alex

believe it or not quite afew yrs ago,1 guys bike found the cafe at the end of the back straight ,hence the big **** off fence now.

believe it or not quite afew yrs ago,1 guys bike found the cafe at the end of the back straight ,hence the big **** off fence now.
Christ haha that's nuts. A mate of ours managed to do a tyre wall ride on his brand new Panigale after going off after the long left! It makes a great sequence, like something out of a skateboard magazine.

15203171_10153869119956396_4246813949869572536_n.jpg

Last edited:
Shouldn't laugh but that's a brilliant picture!
Not much damage I hope!

Unbelievably he rode it out and then just lightly dropped the bike! I'll try and get the full sequence for sh*ts and giggles.

We all love a spectacular crash captured on film...when it all ends well.

My mate decided to have a snooze on T13 (? Last Left) of Portimao. Parked the bike off to the side but decided the tarmac was a nice warm place to lay down.

Screenshot 2019-03-18 at 12.20.48.jpg

Screenshot 2019-03-18 at 12.23.25.jpg

Re: Almeria

Turn 13 is a slow one at least. One of those tricky corners as the drop in speed makes balance tricky whilst you are waiting for the bike to turn and the moment to get back on the power.

Last edited:
He face planted on the brakes. Knocked out cold.

Notice the other bike - he fluffed the corner and my mate was chasing him round.

Last edited:
Re: Almeria

Turn 13 is a slow one at least. One of those tricky corners as the drop in speed makes balance tricky whilst you are waiting for the bike to turn and the moment to get back on the power.

it's a highsiders favourite corner!!

Yes its his zx10. And TC doesn't matter...this was on corner entry...he snatched the brakes whilst on for a 1:55ish due to low sun.

We think the sun just hit the kerb perfectly and blinded both the guy in front and him.

Guy in front stood it up and ran off track. My mate thinks he squeezed the brake a tiny bit and tucked the front.

- Alex

Back