Winter riding

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did it the first year I had the bike and just the one winter is still noticeable three years later although the BMW finish fairs better than most other bikes I have used in bad weather with salt on the road. I actually bought the BMW for possible commuting and the odd track day after having an Adventure bike because it handled the bad whether so well but luckily didn't need to use it for work in the end. My personal opinion is that the toll the salt takes on the bikes condition in Jan and Feb is not worthwhile and I would do what I could to not use the bike for that period. However if I was forced to use it and 'sacrifice' the bike then the BMW is extremely practical as far as racebikes go.

Last edited:
Ridden mine for the best part of 2.5 years everyday and back to work with a European Trip thrown in the mix. I give it ACF-50 treatment (AllYearBiker.com) and still looks new. I do give it a quick jetwash every couple of days on the way back from work.

I?ve used mine year round for coming up to 4 years now and it?s faired really well, objectively better than my previous bikes and over much higher mileage (53k).
As Immortal says, if you use a product like ACF-50 and clean the bike fairly frequently then there really shouldn?t be any issues.

As Monners says, these bikes are tremendously confidence inspiring in less than ideal conditions. I find even if the roads are wet you can still have a good time on two wheels [emoji41]

- Oli

I take my hat off to you all. Legends. I have ridden winter months, back in the day so to speak, happily not now. Stay safe guys. Seriously, I'm in awe.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

One thing I can say about riding through this winter is the s20s that came with the bike have been superb come rain or shine in cold weather.Only once did they spin up which was my fault being too greedy on the throttle.

Back