Carrying a pillion

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C3RRR

Reaction score
Morning guys, I went out yesterday and rode my new bike, it's stunning.

In having to sell my tiger to help me financially, meaning I will be carrying my petite lady sometimes.

I plan to give the preload 2 turns in just to compensate a little and more air in the tyres.

My question is, if I ride carefully will carrying a pillion harm the bike?
We won't be going mad asi don't want to stress the bike in any way

Carrying a pillion will in no way damage the bike, they are fully homologated for carrying a pillion so proceed with confidence.

Just as a reminder, make sure to always have the ignition on when assessing the suspension and always recalibrate the DDC following a preload change.
Settings > Setup menu > Setup DDC > DDC Calib
Simply ensure the bike is on the side-stand or paddock stand(s) and under its own weight when performing the calibration

- Oli

As long as she's not as big as this mate...you'll be fine..

Jimmy Mac and his ex bird below... she snapped the subframe and burnt out the clutch.
c600b4946ab83f6f1ce760bf4db87584.jpg

Stuart's Galaxy sent this !

As long as she's not as big as this mate...you'll be fine..

Jimmy Mac and his ex bird below... she snapped the subframe and burnt out the clutch.
c600b4946ab83f6f1ce760bf4db87584.jpg

Stuart's Galaxy sent this !

Thats a bit unfair Stuart, the camera adds 10 ponds and you know she had a problem with her glands.......

As in she couldn't keep her big glands off the pies and cakes.

Anyway that was no reason for you to steal the love of my life, I hope she keeps you warm at night now that her anorexia is under control.
Ohh, and if you wake up covered in lovebites it just means she was hungry during the night.

Enjoy.

JimmyMac

I meant to add and then proceeded to eat him, but he said he would drop her off at an all you can eat Wendy's...looks like she ate the shop and all the food..nom nom, slurp crunch !.... good old Jimmy, gift of the gab

EDIT: Christ can you imagine her toilet !

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm very impressed already and happy with the quality of the bike.
I can imagine that BMW have put work in to it.
The whole experience of buying the bike from an official dealer down to riding the bike is has been great.

Thanks guys, I'm very impressed already and happy with the quality of the bike.
I can imagine that BMW have put work in to it.
The whole experience of buying the bike from an official dealer down to riding the bike is has been great.
Not really put work in to it, but more copy-pasted Suzuki GSXR

I can confirm that riding with a pillion is just another thing these do well. The wife and I went 1400 miles in a trip with luggage and although I was taking preventative ibuprofen toward the end it was still a fun time. I just found after that many mile her weight transfer through me was giving the wrists some stick.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I once rode with my wife on the back of my new then (2013) R1 all the way to the ring (over 2 days). I did not alter anything. The nose dive was ludicrous and it simply wouldn't steer.

We were both fixed in a folded up state for the week :)

She was later called bums of steel. Renntec grab rail & tribo seat cover only mods.

Was bloody hard work, especially with luggage.

I'm prepping the HP4 for another epic. Pillion seat is tiny.

Last edited:
I can confirm that riding with a pillion is just another thing these do well. The wife and I went 1400 miles in a trip with luggage and although I was taking preventative ibuprofen toward the end it was still a fun time. I just found after that many mile her weight transfer through me was giving the wrists some stick.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Did you use the sport setting and did you alter the preload?

I did a lot of 2 up miles on my gen 2 & 3 RR's. Essential that you fit a grab rail (Renntec) so your pillion feels secure and you stay in control of the bike and although I didn't use them Gilles also sell pillion footpeg extensions for the S1K if your pillion is tall. The standard pillion seat on the gen3 is (I'm told) surprisingly comfortable, we did 300 miles in a day without too much grief.
I didn't change the preload on my bike when carrying the mrs and it was fine, but ideally you would tweek it up a couple of notches and I left my bike in race mode. The biggest adjustment you need to make is the way you use the throttle and brakes, this goes for whatever bike you ride with a pillion but far more so on a litre sports bike. In brief, short shift while accelerating, this make it smoother and easier for your pillion to cope, you still may lift the front wheel a little while getting quickly past traffic but its not too noticeable - while on the back of my GSXR1000R the mrs asked what would happen if I used all the revs on the bike, one wheelie later she responded with 'ok I understand, don't do that again!' The same applies for braking, just brake smoothly and predictably, this will keep both you and the bike settled.

Last edited:
Back