Insurance and the Nurburgring Nordschleife

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1, I absolutely Love road riding and cant get enough.

I have to say that walking (parts of it) around the Ring is pretty good too. You notice and see everything slightly different when on foot, especially some of the bends. Riding it in reverse was very weird !!

Agree with you Phil re road riding and I've now joined you in KTM ownership!! Although it pains me to say it, and I love the look of the gen4 S1K, I've finally thrown the towel in with sportsbikes, got a new Superduke r for a very good price and so far really enjoying the riding experience.

Agree with you Phil re road riding and I've now joined you in KTM ownership!! Although it pains me to say it, and I love the look of the gen4 S1K, I've finally thrown the towel in with sportsbikes, got a new Superduke r for a very good price and so far really enjoying the riding experience.

Excellent news, you chose well with the R.

Oli and I rode to Oundle a couple of weeks ago and forgot to see if you could meet up with us, it was midweek.

Oh and I am missing my S1000RR (a little).

If funds (and time) allowed I would have an S1000RR as well but they dont! Cant do mid week normally due to work but would be good to meet up for a ride out some time

Lol, One of the reasons that I like it, I dont get bored where as most 'normal' length tracks I find after a few sessions I bored to tears just going round and round in circles.
I do like road riding too, but only in the mountains where the scenery truly changes bend after bend, hence I keep KTM SuperDuke in northern Italy, for weekends away.

10mins long ride at a race track, especially if you keep good pace, is extremely exhausting. Your body probably gets tired after 5mins and you are more likely to make a mistake....

Congratulations on your new SDR Mac!

I remember when I test rode the previous gen bike and was blown away by how much midrange clout it had. Really noticed it when I got back on my RR after lol

- Oli

I do like road riding too, but only in the mountains where the scenery truly changes bend after bend, hence I keep KTM SuperDuke in northern Italy, for weekends away.

10mins long ride at a race track, especially if you keep good pace, is extremely exhausting. Your body probably gets tired after 5mins and you are more likely to make a mistake....

That sounds like a nice setup, northern italy on a bike for weekends away. Maybe in 10 years when my kids grow up enough to hate me lol. Although Yorkshire isn’t a bad place to be let loose on 2 wheels, you should visit, I think you would be surprised.

No doubt that a couple of laps of the ring was extremely tiring, more than normal tracktime, but a great challenge nonetheless. Hard to get a rhythm.

I?ve rode most of the best tracks in the world and nothing comes close to the Nordschleife for all round experience. It does take a year or two to really understand and ride or drive it properly though as otherwise you are literally riding it like a road and missing half the excitement of the many blind crests and corners. I can?t waot to get back there this year on the bike as it?s only after visits in the car last year that I?ve really start to feel like I know the place and getting reasonable laptimes.

Public days are a nightmare , especially bank holidays when all the brits head over in their badly maintained cars causing a lot of incidents and crashes. The best way to do it is definitely a private day if possible, or just weekday evenings when it?s quieter.

Last edited:
So Monners, will you bother to get insurance for the Ring trip?
Agreed learning the track takes time, better riding/driving it slower to learn it. Going balls out lengthens the learning process. As you go quicker the track changes, bumps appear that were not there before etc.

Enjoy your trip

No doubt that a couple of laps of the ring was extremely tiring, more than normal tracktime, but a great challenge nonetheless. Hard to get a rhythm.
The most I could manage was 3 flying Laps without stopping (open pit), I once tried a 4th lap but had to slow right down as I knew I was knackered.

North Yorks here we come. :triumphant:

Last edited:
I?ve rode most of the best tracks in the world and nothing comes close to the Nordschleife for all round experience. It does take a year or two to really understand and ride or drive it properly though as otherwise you are literally riding it like a road and missing half the excitement of the many blind crests and corners. I can?t waot to get back there this year on the bike as it?s only after visits in the car last year that I?ve really start to feel like I know the place and getting reasonable laptimes.

Public days are a nightmare , especially bank holidays when all the brits head over in their badly maintained cars causing a lot of incidents and crashes. The best way to do it is definitely a private day if possible, or just weekday evenings when it?s quieter.
So what other options for private days?

I have never seen trackdays where you can bring your own road illegal motorbike there.

There are only two options for private bike days unfortunately. One is Dr Scholl and the other is the Motorad days. Both are technically small group guided days but from talking to the people that do the guiding you will definitely not be held back. Andy Carlise for instance who has the bike lap record is usually a coach and goes at whatever speed the group is happy with. I've not got to a private day yet but it's definitely my preferred choice if I could make the dates work. You need road bikes as its a public toll road. I'm going to work out there for a week in a month or two and get some evening laps in when it's quieter and will probably take the car out again pretty soon.
I havn't ever taken out any extra insurance as its not very economical when doing multiple days through the year although have considered it for the car just because thats worth a lot more than the bike. If you just wanted to experience the Ring once I guess it might be worthwhile? All this said I was hit by a car the last time I was there on the bike and subsequently got a pay out after he reported me for hit and run and the police report concluded it was the car drivers fault for pulling out without looking! Karma and all that as I would have just taken it on the chin and dealt with everything myself.

Last edited:
Back