Insurance and the Nurburgring Nordschleife

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
How many of you lot have ridden the Nurburgring in the last couple of years or planning to ride the track in the future?

I ask this because my Insurance renewal has dropped through my letterbox this morning and one of the exclusions clearly state that I am not insured to ride on the Nurburgring. I have never seen this exclusion before. I called the Insurers (Bikesure) and they confirmed the exclusion, they would not even give me third party only cover.. :grey: Moving on, I called BeMoto and they have quoted me for using my Bike at said track, it is 'only' ?505-70 for 4 days cover and again I could not get just third party cover at a reduced cost.

What would you do, go on without Insurance?

I've only ever done the 'ring once - and that was in a car, but it was explained to me that the 'ring is classified as a 1 way toll road open to the public. I'd imagine you'd need some form of insurance to be legal? Having said that - I don't think I even checked my insurance for the car (it was > 10 years ago) at the time, so maybe I was illegal back then.

I'm interested in the actual answer to this as I'm planning on taking my daughter on her first euro-tour on her f800r in August and the ring was one of the way-points.

I’ve done the ring on 2 wheels without cover.

Apart from the obvious bike/personal damage the biggest issue is the circuit having to be closed for recovery and or repairs/cleanup. Its a crazy amount of euro per minute (last time I was there 1k per minute was quoted by the guy who had crashed his r1 and left an oil slick in his wake) so I suspect thats why the insurers dont want to offer cover in a standard policy.

How many of you lot have ridden the Nurburgring in the last couple of years or planning to ride the track in the future?

I ask this because my Insurance renewal has dropped through my letterbox this morning and one of the exclusions clearly state that I am not insured to ride on the Nurburgring. I have never seen this exclusion before. I called the Insurers (Bikesure) and they confirmed the exclusion, they would not even give me third party only cover.. :grey: Moving on, I called BeMoto and they have quoted me for using my Bike at said track, it is 'only' ?505-70 for 4 days cover and again I could not get just third party cover at a reduced cost.

It’s been a std clause on my policy for a few years, didn’t stop me doing it, but you have to accept that you’re on your own - utterly and literally! It does focus the mind somewhat though in the build up, but not when you’re there. Just don’t bother if it’s wet or an early track experience. I doubt paying for specific insurance is a good idea, if you’re that unsure, do plenty of short learnable circuits first imo.

I’ve done the ring on 2 wheels without cover.
I have never previously checked that I was covered at the Ring, I always assumed that the Insurers had to Insure you at least 3rd party as technically everyone by law needs Insurance. If there is an incident where someone is injured the Police get involved as it is a public road. I would not want to be prosecuted for no Insurance.

How many years?
Ive not been there for 5 years, up until now I never checked.
It was a given from my experience/failing memory... I looked into it at least a decade ago and realised that I wasn’t insured despite not having a specific exclusion in my policy. I know it’s a ‘public road’ but seriously I wasn’t surprised back then. I think it emerged as a specific exclusion around 5 years ago!

Can't contribute much, but any mention of Nurburgring and motorbike can't go without Murtanio.

I'm taking the HP4 there in september after a successful GSA trip last time round.

I'm hoping bemoto may cover such a lap or 2?

I did the ring last year and treated it like a track day as I knew my insurance did not cover it. But I found out shortly after what the costs of a crash can be! I was also told that the police would be involved as soon as no insurance was mentioned.

So I would do it again but with insurance this time as I think I used all my luck up there last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my motorcycle policies over the last ten years have very clearly stated on the certificate of insurance that riding the Nurburgring is not covered. I personally wouldn?t ride there unless I had some form of cover. By all accounts the costs associated with having an ?off? there are incredibly high.

I'm taking the HP4 there in september after a successful GSA trip last time round.

I'm hoping bemoto may cover such a lap or 2?
My quote of ?505 was from BeMoto for 4 days cover, I didn't ask if they would cover me for a couple of laps as I would want the flexibility as the weather could be great/bad.

Let us know if you get cover for 2 laps.

Last edited:
By all accounts the costs associated with having an ?off? there are incredibly high.
The best way to ride it is with Motorrad, the German Bike Magazine (?990 2 days). No insurance needed and if by any chance you have an off they have equipment to recover the bike and you.

I am undecided about returning, I stopped going 5 years ago because I burnt myself out on the Ring, maybe this insurance issue is going to be the deciding factor.

Last edited:
To be honest I have very little interest in visiting the Nurburgring. For that money you can ride on some of the very best circuits in Europe and get significantly more time on track.

To be honest I have very little interest in visiting the Nurburgring. For that money you can ride on some of the very best circuits in Europe and get significantly more time on track.
That's very true.

Plus the ring is too long for a motorbike. You will get bored during 10mins ride.

Plus the ring is too long for a motorbike. You will get bored during 10mins ride.
Lol, One of the reasons that I like it, I dont get bored where as most 'normal' length tracks I find after a few sessions I bored to tears just going round and round in circles.

Lol, One of the reasons that I like it, I dont get bored where as most 'normal' length tracks I find after a few sessions I bored to tears just going round and round in circles.

Agree with you phil about normal closed circuit tracks and the repetitive nature.. one reason I still prefer road riding.

Anyone getting bored doing a lap of the ‘ring needs to stop walking and ride or drive round. ;)

Agree with you phil about normal closed circuit tracks and the repetitive nature.. one reason I still prefer road riding.

Anyone getting bored doing a lap of the ‘ring needs to stop walking and ride or drive round. ;)
+1, I absolutely Love road riding and cant get enough.

I have to say that walking (parts of it) around the Ring is pretty good too. You notice and see everything slightly different when on foot, especially some of the bends. Riding it in reverse was very weird !!

Back