all injectors and exhaust flap

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
As most of you guys will have done, I got the bike out whilst the sun shined recently (seems like months ago already) and noticed on my last day of play time that it was running a bit rough.. Vibrations at under 5k revs, hesitation when accelerating and (the only way I can describe it) the feeling that it was running on 2 star petrol...

Once it was spinning, it was it's usual blistering self, but anything less than 'full' just felt dirty.

I bought the bike brand new in September 2017 and it's done about 9k miles with a service at 6k. Nobody else (other than the BMW technicians) have ridden the bike and with that same exception, it's never been out of my possession.

The selling dealership picked the bike up on Monday (which I still think is a brilliant service) and have called today to tell me the problems.

Firstly I'm glad they found something - 'cos that means I wasn't imagining it, but more worry for me is the problems they found.

All 8 injectors (yes, all 8!) had fault codes registered against them - something that has never, in the history of planet earth, ever happened without a power commander being fitted (according to the BMW master technician) and the exhaust flap thing had a further 3 codes logged against it. They've cleared the injector codes and they haven't returned but the exhaust ones are permanent, therefore they're fixing whatever is wrong with the exhaust under warranty (is that the noisy rattle thing on startup?)

My concern here is that BMW think that I've had a PC on there, and I can 100% guarantee that I've never even considered putting one on, never mind actually done it. I am worried that if the fault codes come back again later, they'll try to dodge the problem by using the PC excuse. Now I'm no mechanic, nor am I stupid enough to tamper with something as powerful and wonderful to ride as the RR without knowing exactly what to do, but trying to use that as certification to BMW against a PC being fitted probably won't work.

I've asked them to somehow seal the electronics - just so that it'd be evident if a PC had been fitted - and if the seal was intact, then any faults on injectors should be investigated further without grilling me and challenging my honesty.

Is there anything else that could raise fault alerts on all injectors except a PC that I could pass onto the BMW guys?

The bike should be back with me next week so I'm looking forward to getting some more miles in (possibly with a quick flirt over to France before the world ends) but I'd like not to be worrying about injectors, codes and warranties.

Innocent until *proven* guilty I thought...

Did all 8 register at the same time? Have THEY had the airbox off at anytime for servicing? If they disconnected them and then turned the power on that would do it surely?

Innocent until *proven* guilty I thought...

Did all 8 register at the same time? Have THEY had the airbox off at anytime for servicing? If they disconnected them and then turned the power on that would do it surely?

I have no idea tbh Alex - I can only relate what they said to me but there was a very significant suggestion that I'd been tampering, not them. With the service guy telling me that it was a BMW master technician making these suggestions, I'm guessing he'd know what would cause them to bleat?

I would challenge them to come up with alternative solutions. Procedural and functional. I would also tell them to go F themselves if they continue to accuse you.

As most of you guys will have done, I got the bike out whilst the sun shined recently (seems like months ago already) and noticed on my last day of play time that it was running a bit rough.. Vibrations at under 5k revs, hesitation when accelerating and (the only way I can describe it) the feeling that it was running on 2 star petrol...

Once it was spinning, it was it's usual blistering self, but anything less than 'full' just felt dirty.

I bought the bike brand new in September 2017 and it's done about 9k miles with a service at 6k. Nobody else (other than the BMW technicians) have ridden the bike and with that same exception, it's never been out of my possession.

The selling dealership picked the bike up on Monday (which I still think is a brilliant service) and have called today to tell me the problems.

Firstly I'm glad they found something - 'cos that means I wasn't imagining it, but more worry for me is the problems they found.

All 8 injectors (yes, all 8!) had fault codes registered against them - something that has never, in the history of planet earth, ever happened without a power commander being fitted (according to the BMW master technician) and the exhaust flap thing had a further 3 codes logged against it. They've cleared the injector codes and they haven't returned but the exhaust ones are permanent, therefore they're fixing whatever is wrong with the exhaust under warranty (is that the noisy rattle thing on startup?)

My concern here is that BMW think that I've had a PC on there, and I can 100% guarantee that I've never even considered putting one on, never mind actually done it. I am worried that if the fault codes come back again later, they'll try to dodge the problem by using the PC excuse. Now I'm no mechanic, nor am I stupid enough to tamper with something as powerful and wonderful to ride as the RR without knowing exactly what to do, but trying to use that as certification to BMW against a PC being fitted probably won't work.

I've asked them to somehow seal the electronics - just so that it'd be evident if a PC had been fitted - and if the seal was intact, then any faults on injectors should be investigated further without grilling me and challenging my honesty.

Is there anything else that could raise fault alerts on all injectors except a PC that I could pass onto the BMW guys?

The bike should be back with me next week so I'm looking forward to getting some more miles in (possibly with a quick flirt over to France before the world ends) but I'd like not to be worrying about injectors, codes and warranties.
Stand firm! 9k and in warranty? It sounds like a dealer fkup to me, or they’re trying it on. It may take some time but polite persistence will get you though hopefully. I’ve had similar ‘accusations’ when I warped my discs. And my most recent experience at 18k and out of warranty was alarming when they wanted ?2300 for a new set of headers!
I hope you have a loan bike in the garage as hostage?

Hi FS, not great to hear about your bike issues but I am hopeful they will be sorted.

Which brands of fuel have you been using?

@zxcv12 - ?2300 for standard headers? hellfire.. and No :( no loaner - I did ask the question, but they denied availability ..gits :)

I use 97 (or better) ron 'super' unleaded except on a few (rare) occasions when I've been running on fumes and the only fuel is 95. I tend to use BP if available, but Shell comes a close 2nd.

Ah ok, good. Just pleased you didnt mention the M word. So its not that then.

my guess is poor old fuel left in over winter which caused the injector fault codes and the exhaust flap is why there was a cold start up rattle. once old fuel is cleaned through and exhaust done i recon it will be all good again.

Last edited:
my guess is poor old fuel left in over winter which caused the injector fault codes and the exhaust flap is why there was a cold start up rattle. once old fuel is cleaned through and exhaust done i recon it will be all good again.

Nah mate, i’ve gone through about 6 or more tanks of petrol between December and now.. unless the petrol was beyond its sell by date when i bought it, there’s no way it went off. However, I’d hope that the BMW master tech would have offered that as a reason? Let’s see how it goes next week. It’ll need its 12k service before the warranty runs out, so they can check for fault codes at that point.

water in the fuel. either the tank cap leaked or from a fuel station. i had a similar issue in a van i owned. i had to have the tank removed and cleaned. its got to be fuel related for a code on all injectors imo.

Im a master technician(not bmw) but just as a bit of an explination, 8 injector Failure codes at once would be almost impossible. Various systems of vehicles can be brought down by one seperate item. I.e jumpatarting a vehicle can cause it to obtain about 20 various DTCs. But they dont actually mean there is a fault. Id say the fault is the exhaust servo causing a backpressure issue and the injectors having to change duty cycle to adjust thus throwing a fault. It will be a single fault bringing down the entire bank of injs. Fresh fuel and the exhaust servo and itll be fine.

Nonsense mate.
If the bike is presented without a PC fitted, they can?t assume anything.
If it all starts getting a bit tense or you?re not sure, call or message me.
If they?ve plugged it in, I can read the fault codes :)
Nice little system BMW have given us now haha.

Just had a phone call from the garage - parts are on their way - ETA tomorrow (Wednesday), repair on Thursday and back with me for Friday (hopefully). Turns out its the entire set of headers!? If that's the case, sheeeeet.. I'm glad its under warranty!

Back