Bike running rough

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Had the bike out today... it's easy to forget this is February it's that mild...amazing !

Anyhow so I've noticed this ever so slightly on a few occasions.... when toddling about traffic (idle or just above) the bike feels as though it's choking up and starts to run roughly particularly when it's idling..a blip clears it and then it's fine under way.

Today it was very noticeable on one occasion, she started running quite rough whilst stationary mid traffic and cut out... hit the start button and she fired up no problem. Again under acceleration and normal use no problem, but it was quite pronounced.

Any ideas lads.
Cheers

S

I went out for a blast today to St Andrews then South Queensferry then got caught in the rain so it's feckin filthy now but never cleaned it as I went straight oan the beer :)

Planning an early morning raid tomorrow then it will get cleaned.....anyone else from this area (Central Scotland) out tomorrow ?

I was out yesterday getting a Road Pilot 5 fitted to my GSA at Crieff. Saw rainclouds up near Killin and turned east at Taymouth, managed to stay dry all day. Spotted an HP4 coming out of Falkland heading west to Strathmiglo, think rider had a black and gold lid and AR can.

Taking it easy today, ride safe lads.

JimmyMac

PS I want my pants back once youve sniffed the goodness out of them Stuart, they are my besties.

Well I've a black n gold lid and a fancy wee can... but it wisnae me Jimmy.

That sticker arrive yet..dogging boy ?

Stuart's Galaxy sent this !

So quick update.. bikes defo not idling correctly, combination of a slight hunt, erratic tickover, I suspect rich mixture.

Tried fresh tank of premium 12 quids worth, 1/3rd small bottle of Redex Throttle body cleaner... Banzai on it for a couple of miles, followed by a pacey blast up the A82... all in about 25 mls.. no difference... it actually cut out again when I hit Dumbarton.

I e mailed Dalkeith tonight..want it back in...as Boomaz says.. "wasn't like that when it went in.... guv'nor".

Hmmmmm. No sure what it is.. A/F mix is prime candidate I reckon.

I would check the airbox is installed right...its something they'd touch on a service.

Otherwise I still think the tps may need calibration.

- Alex

At the risk off repeating myself...........

Dalkeith by any chance?

You might find they don't take responsibility Stu, the one time I have used them for my 600 miles service they tried to charge me for "fitting my tracker correctly' as they said that it had been installed wrongly for an HP4 and their Technician had to move its position and re-wire it.

I saids thats fine, let the technician come out and explain what he did in as much technical detail as he wants as I have a degree in electrical engineering and will understand fully why he needed to move it and then I would take it up with Road Angel, who had installed it the previous week when it was brand new.

Suddenly the tech. is too busy to speak to me and they waive whatever charge they were going to drop on me.

I looked at it when I got home and it was as fitted by Road Angel, needless to say I have never even been inside their Dealership since, but once attended a ride out with their customers which was good.

Once bitten twice shy.

If I was you I would at least look under the top cover to see if the air flow is blocked or filter misfitted. If they notice it and correct it, I wouldn't put it passed them to claim it was something else.

I had a similar fault on my GSA a few years back, it was a sticking exhaust flap due to being parked up for a few months, worth a look.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
At the risk off repeating myself...........

Dalkeith by any chance?

You might find they don't take responsibility Stu, the one time I have used them for my 600 miles service they tried to charge me for "fitting my tracker correctly' as they said that it had been installed wrongly for an HP4 and their Technician had to move its position and re-wire it.

I saids thats fine, let the technician come out and explain what he did in as much technical detail as he wants as I have a degree in electrical engineering and will understand fully why he needed to move it and then I would take it up with Road Angel, who had installed it the previous week when it was brand new.

Suddenly the tech. is too busy to speak to me and they waive whatever charge they were going to drop on me.

I looked at it when I got home and it was as fitted by Road Angel, needless to say I have never even been inside their Dealership since, but once attended a ride out with their customers which was good.

Once bitten twice shy.

If I was you I would at least look under the top cover to see if the air flow is blocked or filter misfitted. If they notice it and correct it, I wouldn't put it passed them to claim it was something else.

I had a similar fault on my GSA a few years back, it was a sticking exhaust flap due to being parked up for a few months, worth a look.

JimmyMac
You know it's Dalkeith lol.. I'll have a look tonight..

Minor update: have asked them to book in for an uplift next week... I'll try get out on it a night this week and at weekend if I'm unhappy with it at least I'll have a slot.. if it clears then we're all good...

See what you think of this... gave it a pacey run tonight for 30 miles..
Stopped down at local football ground as that pipes loud... if you listen when I hold the throttle about 4.5k it's rough as ****...

Ooft just noticed must have been 26800 as opposed to 28000 I thought she'd turned the other day... dumbass.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uU5Wd4t7Emu7GWfZ7

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
Back