Bike doesn't turn off

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
Just happened as I came back from 4th session at Almeria. I turn the key to Off and the dashboard doesn't turn off.

Any ideas why?

Bike turns off though? Only dash stays on?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bike turns off though? Only dash stays on?

Correct. I can't start it when it's off.

Battery is flat now too actually, as I can't start the bike. But the dashboard is still powered on.

No code on dash, like ews? Didn't you just get a new battery?

Crap, its the ignition antenna.
There's a 3 pin plug on the ignition barrell under the flat cover.
Take it off and bridge pins 1&3 check the behaviour difference then.
Bridge on the plug attached to the loom.

- Alex

Last edited:
No code on dash, like ews? Didn't you just get a new battery?

Chandlers BMW managed to revive the battery by just charging it, so I didn't swap it just yet. It worked fine for 4 sessions, no issues at all.

It did briefly show EWS, but now shows DDC and there is a sound coming from the from part of the bike. Plus dashboard light is pulsating a bit.

I did charge the battery for about 1hr, no luck.

Last edited:
Like Alex said it does sound like antenna then. I had it happen on my gen 2, even worse it would decide to turn off while riding as well which got very dangerous. I got a spare antenna but the bike was stolen before I had a chance to fit it. I did offer it to you on your last post. Not sure if they are the same on different gens though. I know that doesn't help now but the offer is there

Like Alex said it does sound like antenna then. I had it happen on my gen 2, even worse it would decide to turn off while riding as well which got very dangerous. I got a spare antenna but the bike was stolen before I had a chance to fit it. I did offer it to you on your last post. Not sure if they are the same on different gens though. I know that doesn't help now but the offer is there

So what I did: I unplugged harness from battery and put it on charge for 30mins (previously I did try to charge with harness on). The bike almost started. I'm leaving it to charge overnight and see how it goes tomorrow. If not I have a spare battery with me, will swap it.

Chandlers said antenna was okay, so I didn't take a spare one....

Crap, its the ignition antenna.
There's a 3 pin plug on the ignition barrell under the flat cover.
Take it off and bridge pins 1&3 check the behaviour difference then.
Bridge on the plug attached to the loom.

- Alex
Alex, would you by any chance have a photo of this flat cover? I'm not sure where the ignition barrel is located.

does it prime when you switch on? sounds like a fucked (still) battery to me,which could be due to battery or charging system.

try a different battery to eliminate that,then take from there.

is it running keyless system? if so,antenna/key will be on left side of tank cover,nr ECU

does it prime when you switch on? sounds like a fucked (still) battery to me,which could be due to battery or charging system.

try a different battery to eliminate that,then take from there.
The dash board is always on regardless of key position. But when I turn the key on, no sound comes from the bike, usually there is a relay sound of sort of.

Will check OEM battery in morning (it's on charge now) and if still doesn't start, will swap for Shido.

was asking as ou said you didn't know where the ignition barrel was,it's where your key goes into that barrel shaped object ;)

was asking as ou said you didn't know where the ignition barrel was,it's where your key goes into that barrel shaped object ;)
Sorry my bad, it was obvious, yes.

I did swap the battery today, the bike starts fine, but the dashboard stays on when the key is off. No signs on dashboard.

I will try Alex advise today at some point.

Here is a picture of dashboard.

Runs fine otherwise, no issues whatsoever.

I guess the only issue is that dashboard drains a battery.
60353f51abbf6d86df29d0c3ef97e6fa.jpg

Yes and by pulling the plug mentioned you'll disconnect it. With the bridge pin you can have it on or off.

- Alex

Back