Moulded Ear Plugs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveE

Reaction score
Hi, looking at buying some moulded ear plugs instead of using the usual foam ones.
Can anyone suggest any to buy ??
Thanks in advance

+1 on Ultimate Ear

I wasn’t particularly impressed with my Mercury plugs either

Yeah we should have reported back on that. I got the Mercury Bludio Bluetooth version from them 12 months ago at the MCN show. I also ordered a set of sleeping earplugs which are softer an squishier (hollow). The moulds were taken by them on the day.

I've found the sleeping ones, irritating, I don't know why but they made me itch. Just stuck one in whilst I write this and it's just like it's tickling the canal...I may try chopping the tip off so they go less deep (by 1-2mm). Anyway for sleeping they've never quite worked out.
The Bluetooth moulded ear pieces are from the same moulds but are more solid...they have been comfortable when riding but the audio is too quiet. Seem to have to use them on max to get the sound to rise above the helmet/road noise. I don't know if its the Bludio BT unit that's at fault here, but suffice to say Mercury don't use them any more. I just sent mine in for repair - I got the Bludio unit wet (submerged) and it stopped working. They are replacing the BT unit with a new one and it's not a Bludio. We'll see if this is an improvement in sound quality.

I bought the Mercury because my trusty old UltimateEars cable'd moulded earphones had been worn out. The audio cable lead was frayed and bare wires were exposed (I'd had them 5 years). The sound drivers in these are insane. Can barely use half volume as they were so efficient. When on a plane, using them on the entertainment system I'd have to unlpug whenever there was an 'announcement' as that's a fixed volume and would blow my eardrums out!!
I've sent them and the Mercury BT's off the be fixed and am pretty sure it's the trusty old Ultimate's I will be using most often going forwards.

Final point to the OP. Moulded will not reduce the noise as much as 3M 1100 foam type disposables. The 3M 1100's which I get from Amazon in 200 unit boxes for trackdays etc reduce the volume by 37dB SNR. The moulds will be more like 33dB. Just in case that matters.

Good write up @alex
I too was dissatisfied with both the audio quality (which was pretty terrible) and the performance of the Mercury product.

As Alex says the disposable 3M 1100 series are basically the gold standard in ear protection, and I personally prefer using these with a helmet that is compatible with internal speakers.
That being said, Ultimate Ear are the go to company for custom moulds [emoji846]

- Oli

Last edited:
I've just never got on with custom fit ear plugs under a helmet. They fit great and are secure until I put my lid on. While pulling my lid on the helmet always touches the tops of my ears enough to cause the custom fit plugs to move. Once moved and inside the helmet they may as well not be there. I've reverted back to disposable foam ones and hardly ever get this problem.

Ive had my Ulitmate custom ear plugs for about 15 years now, the 1st set they made kept falling out due to my habit of chewing gum! They made a 2nd pair (foc) that went a bit further in and they work a treat.

I must go back and ask how long are they meant to last, as I guess our ears change shape/grow as we age?

I've just never got on with custom fit ear plugs under a helmet. They fit great and are secure until I put my lid on. While pulling my lid on the helmet always touches the tops of my ears enough to cause the custom fit plugs to move. Once moved and inside the helmet they may as well not be there. I've reverted back to disposable foam ones and hardly ever get this problem.

100% agree

I had terrible experience with mercury my sleep plugs cause my ears to itch & their IEM irate me to death the silicone is hard and uncomfortable and the cable digs in to my ears and the sound is about the same as a cheap pair of headphones this is the first time I've had issues with IEM's and i have been using In ear monitors for years.

They took my impressions at the festival of speed and took over 8 weeks for delivery and when they arrived the colours weren't even what i ordered

Next time I'm going to use custom fit guards

Back