What riding mode is best for everyday riding UK roads

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, maybe I'm wrong but I know on the 2015/16 models it only works in Rain, Sport and Race. It states it in the manual. Slick has always been minimal ABS. So I'd expect Slick to be the same in 2017/18 models. The only way to test it is by grabbing a big handful of brake whilst leant over. :semi-twins:

Hi, checking the 2017 owners manual, page 83 says when turning on the ignition. "The needle of the revolution
counter moves to the position for zero engine revolutions. The telltale and warning lights go out. With ABS ProOE: ABSPro appears if the
RAIN, SPORT or RACE riding mode is selected.

Then on page 89.
Availability of ABS Pro
ABS Pro is available in the RAIN, SPORT and RACE riding modes.
The SLICK riding mode is not supported by the ABS Pro function.
The availability of ABS Pro in the USER riding mode depends on the selected mode.

So 17/18 models have ABS Pro in User mode if RAIN, SPORT and RACE are set in ABS. I'd hope it was a software update for 15/16 models. Interesting, I'll check with my dealer. J

Re: What riding mode is best for everyday riding IK roads

DTC: Dynamic Traction Control, adjustable via the +/- button on left hand switchgear. Changing the mode between Rain, Sport, Race and Slick with regards to the DTC essentially just changes the amount of wheelie control is active. Sport is virtually no front wheel lift, Race will let it raise a foot or so and Slick is essentially deactivated.

ABS Pro is the cornering ABS feature that was introduced as standard from 2017 onwards. To my knowledge it is still available in User Mode so long as you are in the Rain or Sport mode for ABS. For that reason, I would choose the ABS Sport setting on your generation bike.

If User Mode seems a little daunting at this stage due to the configurability, then trying out the standard modes, that are selectable via the right hand switchgear is a great way to explore what each option feels like.

Enjoy experimenting with your new bike, it?s amazing how much of a difference the settings can make.
As @JimmyMac says, if you have any further questions just ask [emoji846]

- Oli

Surely the most important factor in the DTC is the intervention of loss of traction in the rear wheel rather than wheelie control? Wheelie control is a feature of DTC which is primarliy for rear wheel slip?

Re: What riding mode is best for everyday riding IK roads

Surely the most important factor in the DTC is the intervention of loss of traction in the rear wheel rather than wheelie control? Wheelie control is a feature of DTC which is primarliy for rear wheel slip?

One would assume so, however this is one of the areas where BMW have made it somewhat confusing.
The DTC ?mode? does affect both the traction control element and the wheelie-control, however, the most significant aspect for the rider is the wheelie-control. You can wind the traction control down via the left hand switch gear, however the biggest change between ?modes? is primarily how much of a wheelie is permitted.
There is however a more technical element of the traction control, which is altered between the modes, called torque reduction, which essentially means that depending on what mode you?re in the ECU will limit the amount the throttle butterflies are opened based on lean angle regardless of the twist-grip opening. This is used as a sort of preemptive traction control and is most noticeable between DTC Race and DTC Slick modes, in which the latter has this element deactivated.

I always explain the DTC modes in terms of wheelie control as it is the most immediately apparent difference between the modes and is usually sufficient for most purposes [emoji846]

The Gen 4 bike has a dedicated wheelie control setting which will undoubtedly make things more user intuitive

- Oli

Back