What riding mode is best for everyday riding UK roads

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charmonafarm

Reaction score
Hi all,

just recieved my 2017 S1000RR Sport. I am not sure what setting I should be using for everyday riding? Should I be in sport or race? What?s the most forgiving?

Re: What riding mode is best for everyday riding IK roads

Hi all,

just recieved my 2017 S1000RR Sport. I am not sure what setting I should be using for everyday riding? Should I be in sport or race? What?s the most forgiving?

Put her in slick and wind her on ta fook haha ;)

But serious note you could use user mode and adjust to what your comfortable with and what suits you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What riding mode is best for everyday riding IK roads

There won?t be a ?best? mode or setting as it ultimately comes down to personal preference. However, as Stephens says User mode is great because you can configure individual aspects to suit.
The options range from Rain, Sport, Race, Slick. Rain is the most intrusive/?safest?, Slick is least intrusive.

My personal User Mode setup is as follows:
ABS: Race (least intrusive but still with rear active and anti-stoppie engaged)
DTC: Slick (no wheelie control), but can still be adjusted 14 ways from -7 to +7 via the left hand switch gear.
DDC: Sport (most compliant setting)
Engine: Race (second quickest throttle response, but still has a decent amount of engine braking)

- Oli

Last edited:

There won?t be a ?best? mode or setting as it ultimately comes down to personal preference. However, as Stephens says User mode is great because you can configure individual aspects to suit.
The options range from Rain, Sport, Race, Slick. Rain is the most intrusive/?safest?, Slick is least intrusive.

My personal User Mode setup is as follows:
ABS: Race (least intrusive but still with rear active and anti-stoppie engaged)
DTC: Slick (no wheelie control), but can still be adjusted 14 ways from -7 to +7 via the left hand switch gear.
DDC: Sport (most compliant setting)
Engine: Race (second quickest throttle response, but still has a decent amount of engine braking)

- Oli

thanks Both,

I will look at setting that up tomorrow what is DTC? Is that wheelie control? So minus being bigger wheelies plus being smaller ? Sorry guys completely new and main dealer was hopeless as salesman only just joined and no one else to show me!

No ABS PRO in user mode I'm reading...seems a bit backward considering it's meant for tailoring the bike to suit the individual.

Hi Charm, genuine question so here is my genuine answer.

If you are new to this sort of bike ride around on it to start with in rain mode, it will help you gel with your bike without the controls feeling harsh and it will give you an idea of your new riding position and get you used to the bike and the buttons, controls which are not too dissimilar to your previous bike the R.

Sport mode I find is best for run of the mill road riding when you are not trying to set land speed records on a public roadway, in Wales I hear that is very frowned upon, lol. This mode still gives fantastic response in throttle open and also gives the added benefit of keeping your ABS Pro active which can save you if whilst conrnering a stray sheep gets in your way, we have the same up here with the Haggis breeding season just about to start.

Race switches off the ABS Pro and allows for incredible acceleration and gear changes and is only really necessary on a track, if you wish to keep your licence use it sparingly on the road when conditions allow, ie dry sunny days on good clean roads with little other road users.

Dont forget you will be looking cool as a penguin in a freezer no matter what mode you are in, I tend to avoid getting caught up in the "knee down on the public road" type of riding that I have witnessed and still have some incredible days riding about in the mountains up here.

Enjoy your new bike and remember, Rain when it's rainy, Sport mostly all the time, Race when it's dry sunny and safe and User if you can be bothered reading the book and fannying around with the settings.

Never be scared to ask a question, there are some very knowledgable people on here.

Ride safe my friend.

JimmyMac

thanks Both,

I will look at setting that up tomorrow what is DTC? Is that wheelie control? So minus being bigger wheelies plus being smaller ? Sorry guys completely new and main dealer was hopeless as salesman only just joined and no one else to show me!

DTC: Dynamic Traction Control, adjustable via the +/- button on left hand switchgear. Changing the mode between Rain, Sport, Race and Slick with regards to the DTC essentially just changes the amount of wheelie control is active. Sport is virtually no front wheel lift, Race will let it raise a foot or so and Slick is essentially deactivated.

ABS Pro is the cornering ABS feature that was introduced as standard from 2017 onwards. To my knowledge it is still available in User Mode so long as you are in the Rain or Sport mode for ABS. For that reason, I would choose the ABS Sport setting on your generation bike.

If User Mode seems a little daunting at this stage due to the configurability, then trying out the standard modes, that are selectable via the right hand switchgear is a great way to explore what each option feels like.

Enjoy experimenting with your new bike, it?s amazing how much of a difference the settings can make.
As @JimmyMac says, if you have any further questions just ask [emoji846]

- Oli

Hi, yep it annoys me that ABS Pro is only available in Rain, Sport and Race. Unavailable in Slick or User.

I generally run in Race Mode on the road unless it's really cold or bumpy. Very much a personal preference.

it's worth understanding that even if you had every mode set to the same compression / rebound settings, the bike will feel different as how aggressive those settings come in changes between modes.

J

ive had mine since last sept.. rode about 2k miles on it now ( all weathers except snow) and I leave mine in SPORT.. im not that clever regarding suspension so don't touch USER. (not to mention SLICK MODE ) . but I hav occansionaly used RACE,, but found there wasn't much difference from SPORT..
as said by @jimmymac just enjoy riding it.. theyre awesome machines and even RAIN mode is 160bhp which is about 90% of most bikes out there...

Last edited:
There is no such thing as best riding mode for the UK roads.

To be honest, I have zero idea why BMW made 3 modes, it's pure marketing stuff. To my opinion, there must be 2 modes: default (equal to Slick for lazy people) and user (where you can tune all the params).

Hi, yep it annoys me that ABS Pro is only available in Rain, Sport and Race. Unavailable in Slick or User.

I generally run in Race Mode on the road unless it's really cold or bumpy. Very much a personal preference.

it's worth understanding that even if you had every mode set to the same compression / rebound settings, the bike will feel different as how aggressive those settings come in changes between modes.

J

I thought Euro 4 bikes ABS PRO was available in user mode as long as the settings in user mode are set to the parameters like Oli said.

Unfortunately not.... maybe new 2019 version?

I don’t know for a fact however in the manual under user mode it has something like a :-

ABS and ABS Pro

Sport
Race
Slick

Which to me means ABS Pro is available in the modes it is designed to operate in even if it is in user mode, otherwise why would it mention ABS Pro in that heading?
I have also read online somewhere else it is but I cannot remember where.

Back