New 18 model S1000RR tyre choices from new , sticky tyres vs OEM

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vengeance

Reaction score
My new BMW S1000rr 18 model came supplied with OEM Bridgestone Battleaxe S20s , I took delivery in late December so not been able to really feel what these tyre are like yet , but i have been doing the run in miles through wet,greasy winter conditions only had a nice day yesterday to have a little play on the new bike on semi dry roads,,,,,my last bike i had new Conti road attack 3 fitted and they just felt more tactile on the road (maybe its just me i know tyre choices is very personal & subjective)

I would be interested & like to hear the view on the Bridgestone S20s OEm VS some of the new sticky tyre options that are currently available as tyre choice & technology is so good now that i feel if ultra sticky feel is what i am after are the bridgestones the best sticky out there,

My Use would be road mainly with some track days so an all round sticky tyre choice is what i am interested in hearing your own experiences especially if you had the S20 OEM & switched to Pirelli,Conti ETC ,,,,,,,

Chime in with your top picks for best sticky rubber for this awesome machine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, like a say road/trackday all rounder i am not a racer (yet) :smile-new:

Last edited:
Mine came with S20's from new too Vengeance. Although they never let me down, they never really inspired me either. Put S21's on for this year to see if there's any difference in feeling or mileage. Bridgestone promise better grip and mileage from these tyres so time will tell.

i run m7rr's all year round. great in the wet and you can still knee down in the dry with no issues at all. ive not used on track but my mate has. he runs mid fast group and found them very capable.

i run m7rr's all year round. great in the wet and you can still knee down in the dry with no issues at all. ive not used on track but my mate has. he runs mid fast group and found them very capable.

+1, had many sets of M7RRs on road and the odd trackday with good performance. Rosso3s also very good, difference being the M7RRs lasted longer, but started to move/slide around after 2/3 hot laps whereas the rosso3 performance didnt change. Always thought the bridgstones were poor by comparison.

Michelin Power RS and Conti SA3's have never let me down.

Rosso 3's went well on track till I started taking silly liberties with the throttle on an R1.

There's no bad tyre on this range.

My only experience with Bridgestone was the BT016 and the front was buzzy and nervous...I switched my CB1R to using Conti Road Attacks and it was night and day better. So similar experience to you.

- Alex

I would go for the Metzeller M7RR or Bridgestone S22 (just released).
Performance Bikes did a group test last year, where the top two options were the M7RR (which won the road test) and the S21 (which won the track test).

I enjoyed the S21?s and liked that the wear rate was matched front and rear.
Bridgestone historically have a stiff carcass construction and therefore always feel different to the likes of Pirelli, Metzeler and Michelin. It is purely personal preference as to what you prefer.

As others have said, there really are no bad tyres from the major manufacturers now

- Oli

Rosso Corsa 2

You pay a bit more but get much better performance on track and good roads

Back