Wheel Bearings

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy

Reaction score
Hi I post a thread a little while back about wheel bearings got new front and rear the fronts look the same but the rears are different. The new ones are fully enclosed but on the old ones they are not you can see the ball bearings think somethings wrong. Would be grateful for any advise.

Do you have the part numbers you got, Tommy?
Or are these not BMW OEM?

It could be an updated part...

(Someone with experience will be along shortly :) )

Tommy, I've read your post but I'm not sure what your asking....

Mind I've had bearings on my back wheel done (forged) and just fitted captive spacers etc...so I've been in about that area recently.

What's the problem...any pics ?.

NB: Just seen you ride an HP4..

S

Stuart's Galaxy sent this !

Last edited:
I think they messed about with the size of the sprocket carrier bearing and seal either way -make sure you've got a good puller to get them out and drift to replace (ebay can supply)

Sounds like your old bearings are missing there seals if you can see the ball bearings.

Hi the bike is a hp4 I got it from new, the two rear wheel bearings are sealed on one side the other side of the bearing is not you can see the ball bearings. The spacer that goes in between is shouldered on both ends which encloses the both open faces of the bearing on assembly.Hope this helps explain it a bit better thanks.

Hi stu I know if i was only 20yrs younger shit getting old.
Piss easy using your phone Tommy whatever age you are...

Agree with OP... you can't see the inner cage or other central parts if the seals are where they should be... the seals primarily keep water and dirt out of the important parts and stop the bearing from running dry...like mine did... the clearance on the rear offside spacer to hub is no more than 2 mil I'd say...is the spacer scuffing the hub ?

Last edited:
Hi stu I know that taper bearings are sealed on both sides.The fronts are,its the rear that's the problem one side is closed the other side you can see the ball bearings the spacer that goes inbetween the two uncovered sides of the bearings is wider on both ends which covers the bearings from getting dirty.The spacer is not scuffing the hub.I cannot understand why the rear bearings are not like the fronts fully enclosed.

Right... I've read back through the posts.. so your saying on one side you can actually see the ball bearings and the other side is sealed...

I assume then the bearings you speak off are the replacements which are loose or have I got that wrong ..

Generally taper roller bearings are not sealed and are adjustable.. common in older style car hubs...

I attach images of HP4 ... F and R bearings... my understanding is that they are deep seat ball bearings with a simple dust cover/grease retainer built in... they are non adjustable (not tapered).. the black colored seal installed thereafter ..when face on .... will obscure your view pretty much of everything bar the inner race...

I still don't know what it is your asking tho...anyway, I hope that helps a bit.. if your worried, fire the rim into Dalkeith they will fit a pair of OE for 70 quid or something...

Cheers S
837527df8d28a2aa28342e3746d3269e.jpg
8b3da7c2f4b6f0d82b4d6f391537c3ab.jpg

Last edited:
Back