DB killer/Baffle for track days?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats really quite odd. I've had a Panigale without baffles around Donny on a quiet day without problems, albeit a few years back. The Pani got black flagged in half a lap at Spa which is notorious for strict noise testing, switched to the stock gen 3 BMW and no problems at all even though Spa has a vmax straight and many 150mph corners.

https://youtu.be/XFUNxeUe-18

It was a static test that day, maybe they've changed it since then.

Thats really quite odd. I've had a Panigale without baffles around Donny on a quiet day without problems, albeit a few years back. The Pani got black flagged in half a lap at Spa which is notorious for strict noise testing, switched to the stock gen 3 BMW and no problems at all even though Spa has a vmax straight and many 150mph corners.

https://youtu.be/XFUNxeUe-18

It was a static test that day, maybe they've changed it since then.

Update 1:

So i did get in touch with MHP and got some quotes and I'm still considering getting a solution from them that will suit both street and track.

I also found a full stock system on ebay for ?165 including postage and ordered that (arrived today). I quickly swapped the end can over to see what the difference was and whilst it seemed to be more muted, I don't trust that as a solution for a Donny quiet day.
(Not sure if anyone else has any experience with volume levels of a de-cat system with stock end can)

Next, I plan to fit stock headers with cat and try with both end cans. My intention being that I may leave the stock front end and just hot swap the end can depending on what I'm doing.
This would leave me with the cat (rather ugly imo) which is why I'm still considering a MHP de-cat solution.

Just ask where the sound meters are and go easy past them.

One thing I can tell you is your exhaust will be much louder than a full racing exhaust.

Just ask where the sound meters are and go easy past them.

Good advice.

I once got black flagged at Snetterton with the hp4. I had the baffle in so there wasnt much I could change to reduce the db. So I blagged the noise tester that I had ‘made changes’, subsequently passed the retest static (which was never an issue), and then back on track, backed off the acceleration a little where the sound meters were positioned. Didnt get black flagged again for the rest of the day.

DB Killer/Baffle for Trackdays?

For quiet days at Donington Park you are best off keeping the OEM system in place with the standard exhaust, or a sensible aftermarket slip-on, fitted. That or buy a decent full system which has the option to fit a baffle. From experience instructing there, those are your best options which should allow you to pass noise testing and have an enjoyable day on track.

Half of the so-called decats that you see fitted on bikes are nothing more than a straight through pipe which generally results in a very loud bike and nothing more. MHP are very good and should be able to build you something suitable if you choose to go down that route rather than the options above.

Snetterton

Good advice.

I once got black flagged at Snetterton with the hp4. I had the baffle in so there wasnt much I could change to reduce the db. So I blagged the noise tester that I had ?made changes?, subsequently passed the retest static (which was never an issue), and then back on track, backed off the acceleration a little where the sound meters were positioned. Didnt get black flagged again for the rest of the day.

You were lucky! He can be a particularly unhappy chap at times! Mind you he?s certainly not stupid and can tell just by looking at your bike what kind of system you have fitted. That and Akrapovič baffles are easy to spot.

I have a Akra Moto GP End Can on a 2018 model what figures do they generally put out and if I ever get around to a track day will I need to put my standard exhaust can back on?

Hi, I've got the Akra full system with the shorty end can which registers 104.5db everywhere, so the cheapest/least restrictive solution I use for Trackways is a Akra copy off Aliexpress i.e 570mm x 61mm inlet for £75. Very well built and near indestructible and without baffle comes out at 98db. You just need to go to your local engineering company and they stretch the inlet to match your pipe. In my case 65mm. A lot easier than putting the std exhaust back on. Takes seconds and normally costs me a fiver. Examples of what you can buy. Don't forget to ask the seller to put a low value on shipping to save import duty. Even fools the dealer on warranty claims.

Exhaust https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32920802903.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.e1704c4dF4wZE3

Straps https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32900986648.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.e1704c4dF4wZE3

Carbon Hanger https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...hweb0_0,searchweb201602_10,searchweb201603_52

Here’s the exhaust on mine, diff from my gen 2 akra

44fa22b13e6d609e3e309393e2a2dcb5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s the exhaust on mine, diff from my gen 2 akra

44fa22b13e6d609e3e309393e2a2dcb5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be ok if you still have the Exhaust valve in place. A little trick I usually do at sound testing is to put the bike in 2nd and it activates the exhaust valve. (In Neutral is is not active) It helps kill the sound a bit. I run a SC Project GP70 but still have the CAT and obviously the Exhaust valve in place. It has passed at Bedford which is pretty strict on sound (mine blows around 96-97DB). But i do run a DB Killer made by PipeWerx (previous owner drilled it out for a DB killer).

Just remember don't dump the clutch during sound testing haha.

Back